December vs January? - first WDW trip

my523

Mouseketeer
Would you choose 7 nights in early December or in early January?

We have a change in plans, once again. 🤪 Trying to decide to keep our current dates in early December (first full week) or switch to January (maybe the second or third full week) .

In December, there's the Christmas Parties happening, which we will NOT be going to. We do plan to do 2 days at MK, so the parties limit ideal days to go. I'm also thinking about having to take the kids out of school during possible holiday stuff or testing and miss out on that. Would be fun to see Christmas decor, but not a make or break for me.
In January, resorts are cheaper. But, we'd be looking at either the weekend of the Marathon or MLK Day (how are crowds on the dates around these times?) Wouldn't have to worry about the kids missing much as it would be the start of the semester.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated!

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of not missing school. Weather wise it’ll be similar. We are going early January 2023.

If you pick December…
I will say party days are ideal days to go to MK. Most people don’t like the shorter hours and no fireworks, so there’s fewer people that day. Biggest downside is not seeing the fireworks at the park. We just hop to another park when MK starts letting in party people and catch the Epcot fireworks on those days. Or watch the special party fireworks from outside the park (one of the resorts, or a restaurant).

I’m a big fan of not missing school. Weather wise it’ll be similar. We are going early January 2023.

If you pick December…
I will say party days are ideal days to go to MK. Most people don’t like the shorter hours and no fireworks, so there’s fewer people that day. Biggest downside is not seeing the fireworks at the park. We just hop to another park when MK starts letting in party people and catch the Epcot fireworks on those days. Or watch the special party fireworks from outside the park (one of the resorts, or a restaurant).
Thanks for the advice!

We will be taking the kids out of school regardless. :) Oops, I guess I meant second week in January!

I'd go in December. The Xmas decorations are amazing and really get you in the spirit. When you are looking to go, the crowds will be about the same (or maybe even a little lighter) than a race weekend. neither time will be hugely warm, however, so make sure to pack some sweatshirts.

Those weekends on January/Feb are crowded… December has some days that crowds are not that bad (ie before the 16th or so)… and the decor and ambiance is worth it

We had never been to WDW in December until Dec 2021 for our Honeymoon. We were there Dec 6-15 and it was wonderful. The weather was perfect the whole trip and the Christmas trees and decoration were great. I did not think the crowds were all that bad either.

December Pros:
Longer park hours
holiday decorations/festivities in parks and resorts
not as chilly as January

January Pros:
Better chance of TRON, railroad and Fantasmic! being open
Epcot Art Festival is very cool
Likely cheaper room and airfare than December

We like both of these months to visit. January would probably be easier with school stuff.

I'd say early December if you are taking out of school irregardless. Holiday decorations and less chance of refurbishment downtime.

Those busy weekends in January can also be quite crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter