December - No idea how/what to pack...

jenna326

Earning My Ears
We have always traveled to Disney in August/September but are doing December this year to be there during our oldest's actual birthday. This will also be our first trip with our youngest who just turned a year. I have no idea what to pack. We are used to the hot weather so it was easy - just shorts and tees. We are from Wisconsin, so 50/60s here can be t shirt and maybe even shorts weather but I know 50 here vs 50 there can feel different. I also like to have extra outfits because our girls are messy and I will not do laundry on vacation (I could, but I really don't want to). So, with all that said, what should I be packing? We leave in three weeks. Thanks for your help!!

We also leave in three weeks, this is our 8th Christmas trip to WDW, so we've experienced all kinds of weather in December. We had the chilly winter of 2010, and other years of record highs. For us (from the chilly north of England) it's always warmer than home, but sometimes we need layers in the morning and evening, and strip off during the day, then others it's summer clothes from morning til evening. The answer is layers you can take off or put on as the temperature rises or drops. We also check out the 10 day forecast to give us a hint of what to expect for the first part of our trip.

Wait until a few days before to decide. It may be shorts and t-shirt weather, it may be jacket weather. It may be both.
We were there just after Thanksgiving, last year. It was shorts and t-shirt weather.

Last time we were there during that time of year, we ended up freezing. And we are from PA.

My early December trip last year ran the gambit. The beginning of the week was hot, and the end was COLD! I suggest things you can layer. That was our saving grace was being able to throw on sweatshirts or light jackets or having some long pants to wear as well. Definitely pack some closed toed shoes and not just sandals.

Watch one or two of the weather channels on line. Check the upcoming weather for 10-15 days out. Then bring stuff you can layer if you need to.

All about layers. Last year early December we all wore shorts and tees with a hoodie in the morning and evenings. We kept a light fleece blanket under the stroller for late nights, which my 2yo used most nights. It can cool down significantly when the sun goes down!

I live in here and the layer advice is spot on. I might be beautiful in the mid 80's one day, cold in the 40's-50's the next, and then back to the mid 80's. I've been in the water parks in December and I have been bundled up in long pants, winter coats and warm hats. I know it's a pain to pack but be prepared. Also, know that once the sun goes down the temp can drop considerably. I often throw a long pair of pants and a sweatshirt in my bag for the evening if I'm planing on being in the parks all day into the evening.

Best thing we found to pack were lightweight down jackets that can fold up. We used them in the mornings & nights even on warm days as the mornings & nights were cold. Other than that I would just bring layers and of course a blanket for the baby. Having a stroller is very helpful that time of year because you can use it to carry all your layers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter