dealing with August heat -- what is your go to clothing

kniquy

DIS Veteran
We are considering an august trip -- So just at the title states - I see threads about dealing with the august heat - RD and afternoon pool time. I am wondering if there are types of clothing that are best in dealing with the humid sticky sweaty weather? Are you better going with more sport clothing something that helps wick away some of the sweat.

Any certain brands you love?

We are hopefully to take advantage of the late august early September time for both slightly lower crowds and hitting the beginning of food and wine.

meet_tarzan1.jpg

We used to go every year in Sept and are going to be there in a few weeks. What works for us is lightweight Heat Gear or Dri-Fit clothing from Nike or UA. They keep the skin dry and don't get heavy like cotton shirts. I wear running shorts and anything lightweight for the bottom half. For shoes, it's controversial, I would advise whatever your pleasure is to bring multiple pairs of them and make sure they are worn in before you get there!

I HATE the heat, like HATE it. But in Disney you are in and out of air conditioning so much that I usually manage to stay cool enough that I don't become too uncomfy. It also helps that we go in the down season, Sept, so the lines are not as long as peak season.

Yes, we wear athletic clothes. I wear built-in athletic shorts, a breathable sports bra, and a racerback tank. My husband wears athletic shorts and a wick-away athletic shirt. I prefer Nike Dri-Fit Crew shorts, my husband wears Adidas. Unless you are brand loyal, the brand probably doesn't matter as much as comfort. For my body type, I have tried tons of athletic shorts and the Nike Crew shorts have been the best and most comfortable for me. However, I have friends who adore the Nike Tempo. They just don't fit my body type.

Champion's Vapor Cotton tees, and lightweight cargo capris from JC Penney's. Easy on my body, easy on my budget.

(I do wear mostly Disney tees in the parks, to be honest, but those cargo capris are a must for me.)

Just remember if you don't usually wear athletic clothes that the cuts can sometimes be different than normal clothes (bigger, looser arm holes in tanks, a different band in a sports bra than a regular bra, etc) so be mindful of chaffing. I use aquaphor on problem areas (under my arms, at the bra band, in between the legs depending on the shorts). I'm a distance runner, so the pain of chaffing is something I am well aware of!

As little as possible....:rotfl2:

We have been to FL many times with the intense heat of August. I can't stand to have anything form fitting on....it just sticks right to me and sends my temp through the roof. I wear sleeveless (t-straps if I can get away with it), loose-fitting shirts and with that, bicycle shorts to avoid the dreaded thigh rub. I have found that the athletic shirts just stick on and stink with the sweat. Good luck!

I wear sundresses most of the time if I can find them with pockets (I refuse to carry a bag if I don't have to). Otherwise it's just a Tshirt and cotton shorts and sandals with support. We go back to the resort about mid day and swim/rest and change shirts. Last week we had 3 wardrobe changes a day. I'm way too old for running/sports clothes and don't feel comfortable in them.

We do athletic wicking material fabrics. I wear lululemon running shorts (I don't run) but they are lightweight and breathable. I wear my sports bra and tanks and that's it. Dh does his wicking shirts and usual shorts. I am good in either sneakers or flip flops. I will say, we were there this past weekend and it's hot. But if you are lucky you will get some cloud cover, pop up thunderstorm and it will help with the heat. When we start hitting melting points, we hit a shop up, restaurant or we are getting on a ride. We always make ADR for lunch so we have a dedicated place to get out of the heat of the day, rest, and refuel- helps when the whole family hits high cranky time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter