DCA Sun Wheel

If you sit in the middle of the seat, and keep the car balanced, you will hardly rock at all. Plus the wheel turns so slowly that it doesn't get the stationary cars swinging at all. I enjoy the Sun Wheel if I sit in a stationary car. I would never ever go in the swinging cars.

It's real pretty at night.

I guess I'm one of those weirdos who loves the swinging cars...that's why I'm known as the Ride Junkie! It is kind of an odd sensation, but it really is fun, especially if you sit "facing forward", so you can see the track & know when you will be swinging. My sister sat backwards the first time and didn't see it coming -- man, I've never seen her freak out like that before!! :scared1: My MIL did the same thing, and freaked out even worse!! So, now we know to sit them on the other side....if they ever get on it again! :lmao:
But, if you get motion sickness, definitely pass on the swinging cars.

Yeah there are non moving carts... But your a brave lady to take on that ride... YIKES!!! Ferris Wheels freak me out for some reason. But good for you to take it on.

mystic_path said:
Yeah there are non moving carts... But your a brave lady to take on that ride... YIKES!!! Ferris Wheels freak me out for some reason. But good for you to take it on.

Ferris wheels freak me out too! My mom and sisters made me go on this ride the last time we were there. I was facing away from the ride so it looked like are car was going off the ride and about to fall into the water. I was so scared I was in tears and my family sat there laughing at me! No one will ever be able to make me go on this ride again, lol.

The first time I went on the swinging cars, I was with my DH, 2 sons and my sister. She gets motion sickness on Space Mountain but didn't think the Sun Wheel looked too bad. Boy was she wrong. She turned green as soon as the swinging started and sat staring forward with her hand over her mouth. I asked her if she wanted a plastic bag I had in my purse and she said no. Later she told me she was afraid if I pulled out the bag she would have lost it for sure. I don't remember much else about the ride because I was so focused on her. She got off OK and had to sit on a bench with our parents until the nausea cleared (in her 40s and still wants mommy and daddy when she feels sick :) ).

DH, the boys and I went on again later without her and it was crowded so they put us with 2 nice teenagers from Colorado. We sat and talked to them during the ride and then I started feeling mildly pukey! Ever since, I will only ride on the stationary cars.

In 2004 on my birthday, DH and the boys rode the swingers and I got a stationary car all to myself. I called my sister from the top and told her I was riding her favorite ride. We now affectionately call it "The Puke Wheel." Now DS11 doesn't like the swinging either so last summer he joined me in the stationary car. DS8 and DH stuck with the swingers!

When we went on we didn't even realize that there was two different lines so we ended up going on the swinging ones. I thought it was fun, my bf was FREAKING out, which is hilarious because he usually is pretty macho... :rotfl:

DH, DD19 and myself went on a swinging gondola years ago and that was the first and last time for all three of us. I think the scariest aspect of the ride is that you are not strapped or buckled in at all and the sensation is that when you swing, you will just swing right off the track and into the water five million feet below you. DH & DD are thrill seekers, afraid of nothing...except the orange and purple barf-mobiles they disguise as a ferris wheel ride. That said, we love the red non-swinging gondola. It does not swing at all, the views are absolutely awesome and it is really peaceful and relaxing to ride. The ride only makes one non-stop revolution and then a second complete turn around while loading/unloading. But it seems like a fairly long ride. And the red gondolas rarely have a long line, I like that :)

I am a huge thrill seeker. I love going on fast scary rides and I'm not afraid of hights(SP?), but I HATE this ride. I don't understand why but this ride freaks me out when nothing else has :confused3 .

autumnbaby9 said:
I am a huge thrill seeker. I love going on fast scary rides and I'm not afraid of hights(SP?), but I HATE this ride. I don't understand why but this ride freaks me out when nothing else has :confused3 .
Exactly my thoughts!

I remember hearing about the sunwheel "moving car" before we left for our last DL trip. We decided to try it anyway with our then 3.5 yo, 10 yo and 13 yo. although I was apprehensive. I knew to hold on to my little one thanks to others that had posted that. Surprising to myself.....my 3 yo. LOVED it! He laughed the whole time and it was one of his favorite rides. We were all fine with the ride which really surprised me after hearing how horrible it was. It helped me to look far out at the view, when I could, and then my son laughing got us all laughing and I'm sure that helped. We all felt fine when we got off the ride and we really enjoyed it.

autumnbaby9 said:

That how I am. I will parasail, I will sky dive, I will take on any roller coaster etc. I love the thrill, but I HATE FERRIS WHEELS! Its something about being in a little swinging cart, high up above that you cant get out of if something happens, as you have no control over it. Thats what freaks me out.

We were there last week and got stuck for about 10-15 minutes on,of all things, the swinging gondalas.It was pretty freaky!We kept coming up with escape routes but nothing very realistic,like are we going to have to jump.My 18 year old nephew kept trying to make it swing-that horrorable kid.lol.

They did give us a front of the line pass to anything we wanted,except pirates.We used it on the Alladin show and it was well worth it.Got in with everyone else who paid extra on their vacations.My nephew had to see a musical for school and this counts.Yeah for him. :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter