DAS in Tandem

AmberMK

Earning My Ears
Hi, everyone. I've been a lurker for some time, but now I found myself in the position of needing some rather specific advice.

First, I know that every single person is different and that even for the same person the DAS may not work exactly the same, so I'm not asking for "what will happen exactly", but rather some general examples and personal experiences that I can use as a clue as to how to proceed.

Now, I finally have the money to take my family of six to WDW, many of them for the first time, or for the first time they will remember (my sister has been, but she was very young and barely remembers anything about it).

My mother and I both have disabilities, but they are extremely different.

She has mobility issues, I've rented her a scooter and I know the lines are mostly accessible now, however she moves very slowly, which gives me concerns that she will have trouble getting into some rides, and she has a *lot* of problems with stairs, so I'm also very worried that she won't be able to step down into or up out of some of the rides, but I can't find a list of rides where that might be a problem. I know that that small world is one that has rather a hefty step to get in and out, for example.

I, on the other hand, have extreme and complex anxiety, the type that makes it illegal for me to drive because of quite literally going blind if I get too stressed, and I can also go deaf, and once I even lost the sense of touch. Normally, I just deal and I went to WDW a couple of years ago with good results, I only had to be wheelchaired out of a park once, and that was because I stupidly pushed myself too far by doing Pirates and Splash Mountain standby lines back to back with an intense crowd between the two and absolutely no break.

However, I'm about to put myself into a meltdown now because Disney for whatever reason has removed all but two of the inconvenient smoking areas, so now I won't' be able to self-medicate like I did on that last trip, and my doctors have all but given up trying to help me pharmacologically.

So I was considering trying to get a DAS in hopes that I can survive and at least stay stable enough to pretend to enjoy this trip so my family won't know how miserable I am (yes, I've given up on the hopes of actually enjoying it, with all the hate of smokers having finally gotten to someone at Disney, not a problem that needs to be addressed) AND getting one for my mom for those rides that she might need slowed down or stopped.

But... if these issues both qualify, and we both get a DAS for the separate reasons we need them, how do they work in tandem? Do we just use the one we need, since it lets the whole group, and my issue will be the problem *most* of the time and hers only in certain rides? Do we both need to announce our DAS so the CM can do what they do, or will it be evident because the entire trip is under one name, one MDE?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make sure everyone had the info they needed to help me if they can.

Thanks!!

No DAS for your mom, or for stopping/slowing rides. Simply tell the CMs what she needs. Small World and Jungle Cruise each have an accessible boat she c an take the ECV on, just may require a longer wait. The Safari at Animal Kingdom, too.

Speaking of telling, tell the Guest Services CM why you can't wait in line. Not diagnosis, but what happens. Nobody can guarantee you will get a DAS.

First, I know that every single person is different and that even for the same person the DAS may not work exactly the same, so I'm not asking for "what will happen exactly", but rather some general examples and personal experiences that I can use as a clue as to how to proceed.

I suggest reading the DAS sticky at the top of this forum - the DAS works exactly the same for every guest that has one - it offers a return time that is 10 minutes less than the stand by line. That is all it does. It's like getting unlimited access to FP+, as you can get one even though there are no FP available for an attraction.

Perhaps you are getting the previous pass, the GAC, mixed up with the DAS?

For mobility issues, WDW recommends the guest use a mobility device. There are two attractions that cannot be slowed - Peter Pan and the TTA. Let the CMs know that you need more time loading, or that you need to avoid stairs. being in the queue in an ECV pretty much shows the CM you need to avoid stairs ;)

You can help your mom get in and out of attraction vehicles. CMs are not supposed to assist. When I help my mom, I get in first, stay standing, and she uses my shoulder, arm, or hand to stabilize herself to make that step. When she gets out, I get out first, brace myself, and haul her up. If that doesn't work, I climb back in and push her butt up and away ;)

edited to change 'precious' to 'previous', OMG!

Last edited:
No DAS for your mom, or for stopping/slowing rides. Simply tell the CMs what she needs. Small World and Jungle Cruise each have an accessible boat she c an take the ECV on, just may require a longer wait. The Safari at Animal Kingdom, too.

Speaking of telling, tell the Guest Services CM why you can't wait in line. Not diagnosis, but what happens. Nobody can guarantee you will get a DAS.

Thank you Kaytie, that actually makes me feel better, I was really concerned that in trying to use them I would somehow cause an issue by using them incorrectly and somehow disadvantaging someone else. I don't have an issue with waiting my turn, just with being trapped and surrounded while I do it. I remember the days when you could just walk onto the rides, and I remember how I felt as a preteen when I saw teenagers just hop out of wheelchairs, laughing in the faces of the CMs who could do nothing about it, as they got on the rides having blatantly abused the system. I don't want any child to feel like that because I might get to use the DAS program.

I don't expect anyone to guarantee me anything, I'm aware I might not qualify, in which case I'll blow 10 grand and just stand outside of rides with a big smile plastered on my face while the fam comes out, at in MK and AK. I won't ruin my niece and nephew's first trip for anything, so if my absolute misery is what it takes, I can live with that.

I am confused about your choice of bold usage, and I'm not sure I completely understand your statement as I seem to be missing the point of bolding the word tell in those two statements, could you please clarify that?

I suggest reading the DAS sticky at the top of this forum - the DAS works exactly the same for every guest that has one - it offers a return time that is 10 minutes less than the stand by line. That is all it does. It's like getting unlimited access to FP+, as you can get one even though there are no FP available for an attraction.

Perhaps you are getting the precious pass, the GAC, mixed up with the DAS?

For mobility issues, WDW recommends the guest use a mobility device. There are two attractions that cannot be slowed - Peter Pan and the TTA. Let the CMs know that you need more time loading, or that you need to avoid stairs. being in the queue in an ECV pretty much shows the CM you need to avoid stairs ;)

You can help your mom get in and out of attraction vehicles. CMs are not supposed to assist. When I help my mom, I get in first, stay standing, and she uses my shoulder, arm, or hand to stabilize herself to make that step. When she gets out, I get out first, brace myself, and haul her up. If that doesn't work, I climb back in and push her butt up and away ;)

Thank you, Oma. I have in fact read the stickie, and just about everything else I could find through various searches, but I just couldn't find anything about two people with completely different issues using DAS in the same party. And that is specifically what I am trying to ask about.

You are absolutely right about helping Mom, between me, my sister, and her boyfriend... we will do whatever it takes to ensure she is as safe and comfortable on this trip as possible, which means she will have plenty of people to help in any way she needs. I also have no problem tugging, hefting, bracing, and even butt-pushing if that's what it takes for my mom to FINALLY get to take her grandkids to Disney.

Though it does seem like it might be a moot issue, Kaytie tells me Mom doesn't need one, the CM's at the ride can take care of her problems on site without the extra process of the DAS. If that is, in fact, the case, then I should be good to go, I either qualify or I don't ride, and mom gets taken care of.

My main concern is that I did not want to accidentally MISUSE the system and disadvantage someone else.

Your mom's needs do not qualify for DAS because they are mobility-related. She can take the ECV through most ride queues, a few will offer a manual wheelchair; using s mobility device informs the CMs that she can't do stairs in the queue. But you and your family will have to provide the physical assistance she may need getting into or out of ride vehicles; CMs cannot help her physically like that. You should tell CMs if she needs moving walkways slowed and that may be possible. I believe the point of another poster holding "tell" was that you should mention such needs to the CM at each ride because there is no DAS for assistance like that.

Check out the disABILITIES FAQs sticky near the top of this forum. There is a lot of info in that about accessibility of various rides.

Your needs should be explained at Guest Services. There are designated smoking areas in each park.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm aware I might not qualify, in which case I'll blow 10 grand and just stand outside of rides with a big smile plastered on my face while the fam comes out, at in MK and AK.
Not being a CM, I can't say for sure obviously, but it seems to me that if you describe what potentially happens when you're in an anxiety-inducing situation, the Guest Services CM would tend to agree on the DAS.

Thank you, Oma. I have in fact read the stickie, and just about everything else I could find through various searches, but I just couldn't find anything about two people with completely different issues using DAS in the same party. And that is specifically what I am trying to ask about.

moot point. your mother will not qualify for a DAS at all. she needs to yes TELL every CM what her limits are at every ride entrance, and to continue reiterating all through he line.. .. by stating no stairs at all and slowing rides( save the 2 previously mentioned that cannot be slowed ) they are not mind readers and juts being in an ECV or WC does NOT mean you cannot do stairs or enter/exit a ride vehicle without assistance.

Just a warning I am having a hard time getting my thought out so this may be hard to read, So OP if something dose not make since I will try to my best to explain if you need me too.

as other have said your mom dose not need a DAS, there are two rides with moving walk ways that cannot be stoped they are PP and TTA both at MK.

as fair as you I will not say either way, but even if you do get a DAS you will still be standing in crowded areas, for things ( even carefully planing you just get stuck in them. I would guess you family know your disabilities.

So I would plane on not getting a DAS, plane on taking breaks to regroup, pane your FP for the rides you most want to do, bring things to help your self, like do you have a hard time with noises them bring something like earbuds, to help block out the extra noises, or sunglasses to keep bright light out of your eye. if people bumping into you is hard have your family make a bubble around you, maybe never do more then 3 rides back to back, anyways come up with a plan to make Disney as enjoyable as you can, then see what tools Disney give you. I mean go to GR and exsplane what problem you have and what happened do nt ask about a DAS and see what they suggest you do. I would not think about being a wast of money if you have a melt down ( I have had them at Disney sometimes for 80% of the day where I could not do a thing could not go on a ride or see a show but I still had fun ( ok kind of) people watching and talking to CM and watching the out door show. There is so much more to do at Disney then just the rides, and indoor show that you forget about them trying to get too the next thing, so my advice is to use this as a slow down and smell the roses and see what Disney really has to offer.

Edit what I am trying to say if for most people a DAS dose not salve all there problems it help, so if you can have tools ( what ever they are ) along with the DAS then you will more then likely have a much better vacation, and if for some region you are not given a DAS you will be more prepared

Last edited:
@AmberMK

I understand your feeling of being "trapped" in lines. I would suggest that you have your family (and your Mom with the ECV can certainly help with this) create a "bubble" in front of you, and behind you so that you have the space you need to feel more comfortable in line. Your Mom's ECV will work great behind you, and other family members can just walk a pace or two, as required, ahead of you to give you some breathing room.

I hope you have a great time!

Note, even with a DAS you would then enter the FP+ line which at times can get backed up to a 15-20 minute wait. Also note that if you are in line and there are technical difficulties they may or may not evacuate the line right away (depends on if they think they can get the ride back up "quickly"). This happened to me at Test Track with a FP+ and I ended up waiting for around 30 minutes. There was no way for me to really get out so I was stuck in a very full room.

I just want you to know what could happen so you are prepared for the worst, even with a DAS.

Just a warning I am having a hard time getting my thought out so this may be hard to read,

You expressed yourself well. Unless you changed something between the original post and now (aside from the added edit) it all makes sense to me.

My son has ASD and is a flapper and hops just about everywhere... I will stand in front of him and his father behind while in line,, that gives him a buffer from knocking people and or them him... is this something you could do with your family?? have a nice little buffer and you wont feel so hemmed in ?? hope you have a great trip..

Just a warning I am having a hard time getting my thought out so this may be hard to read, So OP if something dose not make since I will try to my best to explain if you need me too.

as other have said your mom dose not need a DAS, there are two rides with moving walk ways that cannot be stoped they are PP and TTA both at MK.

as fair as you I will not say either way, but even if you do get a DAS you will still be standing in crowded areas, for things ( even carefully planing you just get stuck in them. I would guess you family know your disabilities.

So I would plane on not getting a DAS, plane on taking breaks to regroup, pane your FP for the rides you most want to do, bring things to help your self, like do you have a hard time with noises them bring something like earbuds, to help block out the extra noises, or sunglasses to keep bright light out of your eye. if people bumping into you is hard have your family make a bubble around you, maybe never do more then 3 rides back to back, anyways come up with a plan to make Disney as enjoyable as you can, then see what tools Disney give you. I mean go to GR and exsplane what problem you have and what happened do nt ask about a DAS and see what they suggest you do. I would not think about being a wast of money if you have a melt down ( I have had them at Disney sometimes for 80% of the day where I could not do a thing could not go on a ride or see a show but I still had fun ( ok kind of) people watching and talking to CM and watching the out door show. There is so much more to do at Disney then just the rides, and indoor show that you forget about them trying to get too the next thing, so my advice is to use this as a slow down and smell the roses and see what Disney really has to offer.

Edit what I am trying to say if for most people a DAS dose not salve all there problems it help, so if you can have tools ( what ever they are ) along with the DAS then you will more then likely have a much better vacation, and if for some region you are not given a DAS you will be more prepared

Thank you, Gap. Perhaps we are related, as I also have a hard time explaining myself in text and not being misunderstood, but I totally got where you were trying to go, so no worries!

The adults in my family do know about my issues and are used to me doing things like suddenly getting up and walking out of wherever I am without a word. The munchkins though, I'm sure they know *something* is wrong with me, they are still a bit young to try to explain it too fully. The ritual smoking I do tends to be a fantastic cover, especially since everyone now has to leave the room for it, I don't stand out as much, so I'm not even sure they really think twice about it while we are out or anything. They know I'm the crazy auntie that doesn't like to leave the house (I can't drive and I don't like being a burden, so I don't request help going out unless I actually *need* to). But I've always been this way, so for them, that is just normal for me.

Disney, however, is gonna be a whole new level for them to see me at, and I'm hoping to do everything I can to keep them from finding out just yet exactly how "crazy" Auntie Amber actually is... lol.

The main thing the DAS will help me with is not being trapped in the one kind of lines I simply won't be able to avoid, the ride lines. The munchkins love their Auntie Amber, and they will want me on every single ride they go on, and I really want to save my refusing to go for the rides I really *have* to use it for (roller coasters and some thrill rides send me into a tailspin, I'll be refusing those outright). I've spent the extra money to get the Deluxe Disney plan so we could do all table service meals (as many character meals as I can cram in there, thus avoiding character meet and greet lines), I have exactly no interest in the shopping on this trip so I'm going to put money on each of their bands so they can buy some stuff and send the parents into the stores with them. I've also informed the munchkins 'Rents that they will be in charge of standing in just about any other line, and in exchange, I will keep the munchkins with me outside looking at cool things to make their efforts as easy as possible as well.

*edit* I've also booked us for a Christmas Party, as I understand they have reduced crowds and much shorter lines, so I'm hoping that we can catch a few of the more popular, thus longer lined rides, during that time. I know it's kinda a waste to ride the rides as we might miss some parties, but this seemed a good time to take in things like Peter Pan which apparently *always* has a huge long line.

I'm definitely going to be working the system on my own end to keep everything I can on as even a keel as possible. I truly love Disney, and I really want to share that love with the munchkins, it is my big Christmas present to them and my mom (who has always wanted to take them) this year. I researched hard, and we are going in November, not Jersy week or Thanksgiving week. So if I can just find some way to reduce the amount of time I am absolutely trapped and surrounded in ride lines, I think I can be a passable human being for the entire trip, and anywhere with plenty of smoking areas, I might even get to have some fun.

I really don't care about how long I have to wait to get on a ride, several people have brought up that I might have to wait longer, or it might only save me 10 minutes, and honestly, I just don't care. I do not mind to wait my turn, I just need to be able to do it in such a way as to not be trapped in a ride line any longer than absolutely required. Add time if that is what keeps it fair, I'm ok with that because I can find a quite little corner outside the ride line with as few others as possible, and point out cute little details to the munchkins while we wait. They exist all over Disney, I know because I've used them in the past the very same way to take a break myself before hopping into another line.

To be honest, I wouldn't even be asking about this if the munchkins weren't going, I have dealt with me for a very very long time, I can handle it, and the other adults around me can handle it, I just really don't want to be the dampener on their awesome first trip.

Last edited:
@AmberMK

I understand your feeling of being "trapped" in lines. I would suggest that you have your family (and your Mom with the ECV can certainly help with this) create a "bubble" in front of you, and behind you so that you have the space you need to feel more comfortable in line. Your Mom's ECV will work great behind you, and other family members can just walk a pace or two, as required, ahead of you to give you some breathing room.

I hope you have a great time!

I do plan on giving this a try, in the first shorter line we come to. The complexity of my anxiety means it's not just space thought, unfortunately, echoing or repetitive noise, certain kinds of lighting, they can all set me into the start of a panic, and with absolutely no way of escaping on my own, I figure anything longer than about 15 minutes is where the term "torture" will start kicking in, and around 30 minutes or so is when I'll likely end up starting to turn into a jittery, freaky mess.

When I went to Disney a few years ago, I had one day where I was all by myself, so I went to MK to catch a few things my boyfriend wasn't interested in or that had been down when we were there a couple of days before. Tiki Birds, Pirates, Splash Mountain were my goals, and I figured I'd hit a few of the other shows if I could. He's totally a ride guy and not a true Disney fan (blasphemy, I know, but I'm working on him). As those three all pretty much are in a line, I figured I could do them then hit a smoking area for a nice long rest. It was just me after all, no one else was being inconvenienced by my silly issues, I could take as long as I wanted.

As it wasn't a planned visit for that day, I had no fast passes, but I figured "it's only three things, what could go wrong?"

What could go wrong is some poor CM had to get me out of Splash Mountain (I didn't get to ride it), wheelchair me out of the MK and get me on a bus, the bus driver had to tell me three times that we were at my hotel (I heard her, it just didn't really register), a CM there had to show me where my room was and how to work the door, and the next thing I actively remember is zoning back into the world at around dinner time, my face covered in tear crust, curled up in that tight little corner between one of the beds and the wall. I arrived at MK for rope drop and went straight to Tiki Birds. I lost an entire day because I flippantly wondered "what could go wrong". I kept myself together just enough to get help back to my room, then poof, just gone.

This is pretty much what I'm trying to avoid doing to my niece and nephew. They won't stay at the park without me, it's just not their nature, the few very minor freak outs they have seen they fluttered around me like hummingbirds until I was normal again.

how old are your nieces ad nephew?

And yes we do sound similar I got to MK at RD did pireats and then BTMRR and then had to go to the ER for the dyad both rides was just a walk on

how old are your nieces ad nephew?

And yes we do sound similar I got to MK at RD did pireats and then BTMRR and then had to go to the ER for the dyad both rides was just a walk on

Oh, I'm so glad I didn't end up in the ER, lord that must have been horribly scary for you!

I knew I was pushing myself, I just didn't quite realize just how HARD I was pushing myself, it had been so many years since I've been on Splash Mountain I just completely forgot how long and tight and LOUD the line is especially since I basically followed the crowd.

The munchkins are 8 and 11, which I personally judge to be the perfect age for a first trip if you aren't sure you will get to do it again, old enough to remember and handle lines and crowds, still young enough to believe in fairies and princesses.

Oh, I'm so glad I didn't end up in the ER, lord that must have been horribly scary for you!

I knew I was pushing myself, I just didn't quite realize just how HARD I was pushing myself, it had been so many years since I've been on Splash Mountain I just completely forgot how long and tight and LOUD the line is especially since I basically followed the crowd.

The munchkins are 8 and 11, which I personally judge to be the perfect age for a first trip if you aren't sure you will get to do it again, old enough to remember and handle lines and crowds, still young enough to believe in fairies and princesses.
I am at work and on my phone so this will be short

The kids know something is up and will know something more is up at Disney I would just tell them. Maybe not every thing but a I have a hard time with ____ and so I will be using /doing things to help me such as____.( list the things ) and if they can do something to help like in line we can play a game like heads up or it would really help if you helped make a bibble around me. But they know and instead of this being a do not talk about auntie problems lest act like there are non just explain in simple tearms and let them know what they can do to help you. It sounds like they really love you and I know I would not be enjoying my self if I thought something was going on with someone I loved but would if I know what was the problem

OP, please understand, as others have stated, that the DAS enables you to use the FastPass lines, after waiting (elsewhere) a time similar to the current stand-by line. You will still need to wait in the FastPass line, which can be anywhere from virtually nothing to 20 minutes (or more). There is no way to join a party at the front of either a FastPass or standby line.

It may be difficult to find a quiet space, but you can go to first aid in the parks and they have cots where you can rest for a bit.

Disney has been methodically removing benches (and thus places to sit) over the last few years.

Please also note that Disney's hotels, including all guest rooms, are non-smoking, with specific areas at the resort designated for smoking. Disney's main page on the subject is at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/smoke-free-policy/smoke-free-areas/. Their maps to identify designated smoking areas is available at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/designated-smoking-areas/.

Safe travels!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter