DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

The other thing I've seen posted about is that people who know how to effectively work Genie+ keep updating and pushing their time out if the run into a conflict
When it first was introduced you couldn't modify. That was introduced in December 2022.

You still can't modify a ILL selection or switch to another attraction in the same park without canceling it. Arguably that one is easier to use with planning because the times are available for the day you are able to see but people would run into a problem where they would select the time and then when they would go to the end that time they selected would no longer be available and instead a different time would be the confirmed ILL.I remember so many complaints about that and trips to the Blue Umbrella for people. I haven't heard as much complaints about that specific issue happening so it's possible Disney did something on their backend to help lessen that situation from popping up.

It's interesting for me to think back here that a lot of the changes Disney has been doing for Genie+ since they introduced it are features of FP+ including this rumored pre-selection for Genie+/ILL coming. One of the things I suppose we could say Disney "improved" on it compared to FP+ is when they added the park hopping Genie+ option in June 2023 at least if you are looking at how pre-booking FP+ worked where you couldn't hold two FP+ in two different parks for your pre-booked ones.

I asked Google.
The first news articles about 2-3 attractions are from 2 years ago, 30th of March 2022.
https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2022...youll-only-ride-2-3-rides-per-day-with-genie/
I was the champion of Genie+ refresh/modify. I posted a lot on the Genie+ usage thread and we did everything at HS prior to DAS. This was when we got SDD late evening as our first pass.

I saw one CM refuse to give Genie+ at Epcot to a guest who had no idea it didn’t mean they got to ride everything walk on from then on out (around 4/5 pm when all Genie+ passes were gone except rides that were walk on). The CM tried to explain that they couldn’t even ride 2 rides with it. The guest left mad because they didn’t understand (language barrier). I thanked the CM, they could have easily just taken their money.

Another thing people who do not have DAS either do not realize or fail to acknowledge is that some (many?) people who legitimately need DAS are paying the same amount for their park tickets as non DAS holders but use them for say half a day. So, yes, DAS users might ride something in a short standby line while waiting for DAS return because they cannot stay in the parks until closing.

Another thing people who do not have DAS either do not realize or fail to acknowledge is that some (many?) people who legitimately need DAS are paying the same amount for their park tickets as non DAS holders but use them for say half a day. So, yes, DAS users might ride something in a short standby line while waiting for DAS return because they cannot stay in the parks until closing.
The same goes for literally all other park guests. This point shouldn't need to be brought up again and again. Disney is a theme park that everyone chooses to go to. You cannot make judgements or assumptions of guests and how they spend their park time. Disney is more than just attractions too and DAS is about attractions. I've got a DISer friend who up until last October hadn't been to MK at night in years, who mostly goes to the parks for a few hours and leaves. He and his wife are not DAS users at all. We need to stop making these types of presumptions about people's trips.

My family has Annual Passes, strictly so we have flexibility and don't feel like we have to get the money's worth out of every day.
Our shortest day was 30 minutes a couple of years ago and our average park day is 3-4 hours, including travel time. We consider anything over 4 hours to be a really good day.
The same goes for literally all other park guests. This point shouldn't need to be brought up again and again. Disney is a theme park that everyone chooses to go to. You cannot make judgements or assumptions of guests and how they spend their park time. Disney is more than just attractions too and DAS is about attractions. I've got a DISer friend who up until last October hadn't been to MK at night in years, who mostly goes to the parks for a few hours and leaves. He and his wife are not DAS users at all. We need to stop making these types of presumptions about people's trips.
It's not the same though.
Many people without disabilities might CHOOSE to go only a few hours and leave. That is their choice/way they prefer to do the parks.
For many people with disabilites, staying in the park or leaving is not a choice, it's their necessity and reality. My family chooses to deal with our daughter's need for shorter park days by taking longer trips and purchasing Annual Passes. Skipping a park day to rest or leaving after a few hours feels much better with an AP, than using up one day out of X number of days when all the days need to be used within a certain time window.

I AM NOT saying people with disabilities should get DAS based on how many hours they can be in a park. DAS eligibility should be based on needs/issues that person has with waiting in the traditional lines.

The difference is for many disabled people they don't have a choice. There are plenty of people who do choose only to go for a few hours.

I don't think Disturbia was trying to claim non-DAS users never only go for half a day - but was instead giving more reasoning behind while DAS users having 'any ride no limit' is not necessarily as it seems on paper.

It's not the same though.
Many people without disabilities might CHOOSE to go only a few hours and leave. That is their choice/way they prefer to do the parks.
For many people with disabilites, staying in the park or leaving is not a choice, it's their necessity and reality. My family chooses to deal with our daughter's need for shorter park days by taking longer trips and purchasing Annual Passes. Skipping a park day to rest or leaving after a few hours feels much better with an AP, than using up one day out of X number of days when all the days need to be used within a certain time window.

I AM NOT saying people with disabilities should get DAS based on how many hours they can be in a park. DAS eligibility should be based on needs/issues that person has with waiting in the traditional lines.
The difference is for many disabled people they don't have a choice. There are plenty of people who do choose only to go for a few hours.

I don't think Disturbia was trying to claim non-DAS users never only go for half a day - but was instead giving more reasoning behind while DAS users having 'any ride no limit' is not necessarily as it seems on paper.
But the basis of the conversation is assuming that the program of DAS is determining whether someone does or doesn't spend X number of hours in the park and that's completely presumptuous of someone. We don't have any idea what other people are doing on their park days, what their limits are, what their desires for their park days are or what they turn out to be. Qualifying for a Disability Service as determined by a theme park in conjunction with Federal laws does not determine how long you are in a park, that is up to each and every person including those who have their own things going on but don't qualify for it.

There's just a bit of double standard going on here that doesn't at all help. No one wants to presume what activities or abilities of a DAS user and the same should be towards ones who don't. I would never make an assumption of the park going experience for a person who qualifies for DAS, the same courtesy should be given to those that don't qualify for it because we don't know each other lives.

And most certainly when discussing value to cost ratio with a theme park ticket.

That’s a very good point . There are lots of non DAS users who are not able to stay the entire day either, and maybe some. DAS users who can… so you are right, that’s so dependent on the individual , it’s not really fair to use it as a blanket statement.

Well, obviously that isn't the scenario being discussed. Someone lying about the number of people they're bringing to try to skirt an accommodation option they don't want =/= being surprised by a spouse coming home from deployment. Rider swap typically isn't offered for a party of only 2 regardless.
But your comment made it sound like any body adding people after the fact should get a ban, and if a ban is even an option, how does Disney realistically police this on people lying vs not?

I thought I read somewhere that Genie+ return times were being affected by DAS use. Maybe I misunderstood.
The way I understand it is that Genie plus has a number of set return times per hour…. But it doesn’t really impact DAS because they have no “hard stop limit” on DAS return times. They can’t, because a guest with DAS has to have the same access to the “Standby” line as all guests … and DAS is their standby line. And I believe that might be why they are trying to get a grip on the amount of DAS users…. Because they can’t limit the amount of DAS use ( a time to return has to be available to all DAS guest upon request)

We don't know how Disney actually plans to institute whatever changes they have in mind... but I wanted to point out that "accommodations" do not need to be limited access to only those with disabilities. If there is an option available to all guests, that can be the accommodation. For example a ramp is there as accommodation for guests with mobility devices, but in most places using that ramp is not restricted to just the mobility devices. Another example is something that has become common at elementary schools -- students with IEPs may have had "breaks" periodically during the day as an accommodation; it was decided all kids could benefit from such and most classrooms now have some kind of "get up and get the wiggles out" for 1-2 minutes a few times a day (depending on the schedule). If Disney puts into place a plan or policy that allows guests to leave the line for the bathroom, that doesn't necessarily have to be restricted to only individuals with disabilities. It may be restricted, depending on how they implement it, and if it gives an extended return it may well be restricted. But everyone needs bathroom breaks and there have been several reports just on this thread of folks who have been allowed breaks to leave the line for the bathroom and then return. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that the "accommodation" may be more mainstreamed than restricted to disabilities.
This is true, and really (providing that it met the needs of the disabled person) it would be an “ideal” solution as far as the ADA goes … since the point is to try to not single out or make the disabled person feel different than the non disabled people utilizing the same good or service.
***Again, I’m not saying that this solution will work tor ALL current DAS users who are not autistic or DDs.. I’m just saying as far as the ADA and the to desire to not single out the disabled, it would be fantastic solution (IF it meets the needs of the person using it)

But the basis of the conversation is assuming that the program of DAS is determining whether someone does or doesn't spend X number of hours in the park and that's completely presumptuous of someone. We don't have any idea what other people are doing on their park days, what their limits are, what their desires for their park days are or what they turn out to be. Qualifying for a Disability Service as determined by a theme park in conjunction with Federal laws does not determine how long you are in a park, that is up to each and every person including those who have their own things going on but don't qualify for it.

There's just a bit of double standard going on here that doesn't at all help. No one wants to presume what activities or abilities of a DAS user and the same should be towards ones who don't. I would never make an assumption of the park going experience for a person who qualifies for DAS, the same courtesy should be given to those that don't qualify for it because we don't know each other lives.

And most certainly when discussing value to cost ratio with a theme park ticket.
Many here have made assumptions though that legit DAS users are cheating because we do something Disney has allowed.At this point, it's moot because Disney allows it and also DAS is changing but it what ways we don't know. The basis of my post is that people have complained about DAS users "gaming" the system by riding something with a short line while waiting for DAS return line are maximizing their shorter amounts of time in the parks.

You're right in that we don't know what non DAS users choose to do. The difference is with some DAS users, it is not a choice. Many do not have APs and can only go once a year or maybe once period.

But your comment made it sound like any body adding people after the fact should get a ban, and if a ban is even an option, how does Disney realistically police this on people lying vs not?
The language about banning I believe has been advised to have been the language before but that is something media has put out front and center with these changes.

The comment you quoted with the ban part in there (before you made your deployment scenario) said " stating something that was untrue during their interview" and that is part of Disney's language "during the enrollment process" so you bringing up deployment was a left field comparison there.

The comment you quoted with the ban part in there (before you made your deployment scenario) said " stating something that was untrue during their interview" and that is part of Disney's language "during the enrollment process" so you bringing up deployment was a left field comparison there.
Actually, I believe it was an expanded conversation around whether a DAS-user should be allowed to add a person to the DAS after it gets approved.

We have asked everyone to stop floating speculative proposals for "catching bad guys" (for lack of a better term) as a way to "fix" DAS and make it less desirable.

I agree… because a person doesn’t use a DAS doesn’t mean they don’t suffer pain (headaches, back aches ect) or some people leave the park early because of the heat and becoming dehydrated. Or maybe their child suddenly got sick or had a meltdown … everyone has struggles even those who don’t have struggles to the point of it being a disability needing a DAS.

Many here have made assumptions though that legit DAS users are cheating because we do something Disney has allowed.At this point, it's moot because Disney allows it and also DAS is changing but it what ways we don't know. The basis of my post is that people have complained about DAS users "gaming" the system by riding something with a short line while waiting for DAS return line are maximizing their shorter amounts of time in the parks.

You're right in that we don't know what non DAS users choose to do. The difference is with some DAS users, it is not a choice. Many do not have APs and can only go once a year or maybe once period.
Well the defining line provided was DAS user vs not. And that's not ethically right either. There's a lot of comments about choice but never a consideration of what that choice means.

Physical, mental and practical limitations exist outside of DAS. People who experience heat issues, those whose feet are battered from walking so much, people who have a child who just wants to swim all day (and make a case there for choice sure...except the child cannot be reasoned with to stay in the park) and many other things going on. We had a wedding while we were down there and one of our park days we were in the parks for only a few hours due to other things going on outside of the park. Is that a choice? I mean sure but so is purchasing a park ticket and going in knowing you'll only have a few hours because of whatever. That is a choice on everyone's end.

Just last month my DISer friend went to WDW. Unfortunately a situation occurred that made his hip hurt extremely bad. He was able to take medication but missed that park day. The next day he rented a scooter and it was rough. He did not qualify for DAS either but could only make it several hours. Is that his choice? Well because you're defining things the way you are I guess so. Was his a disability? No

On our May 2022 trip I was taped up a lot on my feet (kinesiology tape I have found is amazing for me) due to blisters (a very painful one on the back of one of my feet, tons of Band-Aids) which inhibited my ability to do as much as I normally would. I sat for longer periods than I normally would. Now if it had gotten bad enough I could have rented a wheelchair but that does not alone grant me DAS nor would my situation be appropriate for that. And no I'm not making a comparison about disabilities and blisters on feet.

The point is like a PP phrased it "There are lots of non DAS users who are not able to stay the entire day either, and maybe some. DAS users who can… so you are right, that’s so dependent on the individual"

There are many guests who may not get what they hoped to get out of the money they spent on a theme park trip, and to your point "paying the same amount for their park tickets as non DAS holders but use them for say half a day." because you've defined it all on whether someone is a DAS user or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter