DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Seriously, it’s like they put an intern in charge with the blanket statement and scant details. What were they thinking?
True that.

How would the two of you help move the conversation with Disney forward?

The current system is clearly not working well and worsening situations. LL times are up significantly where all these issues with no return to line or other options are currently.

Suggestions on improvement perhaps along with the tomatoes.

True that.

The current system is clearly not working well and worsening situations. LL times are up significantly where all these issues with no return to line or other options are currently.

Make the pass less appealing to cheaters. They already getting rid of the 2 advance selections, lowering the party size to 4, and adding a 10 minute waiting period to book a new attraction. I think they could also add a total attraction limit per day (5?) I really think this would curtail most of the abuse without alienating huge categories of disabilities.

There will also be a "return to line" process they will roll out when it goes into affect to address the restroom concern some folks have had which lines up with folks being denied for IBS lately.
I am still curious how this can work for solo guests, as there won’t be any way to know where in the line the solo guest should return to. I will be watching this carefully.

True that.

In my view, reduce the attractiveness of DAS and make it equitable to regular guests’ experiences. They seem to have this planned with no more pre-selections and a 10-min wait before booking the next selection. Could be taken further by only allowing a next selection if you scan again exiting the ride. This would reduce abuse.

Also, make the application process more stringent and actually enforce some kind of medical evidence. I understand the legality issues here but it can be done.

Introduce the other options like return-to-queue so for those who it is a good option can use it.

Finally, avoid using conditions as examples for DAS. Have the CM video calls to look at all accommodations based on need. Use the health experts to ensure accommodations are appropriate.

All of this would reduce pressure on DAS without segregating based on diagnoses.

True that.

As I’ve already said, they need to move to a system that requires documentation. That would significantly reduce abuse.

As I’ve already said, they need to move to a system that requires documentation. That would significantly reduce abuse.

The issue with that is ADA states that people with disabilities don't have to provide proof of disability. That is why so many people abuse laws about service dogs and such. They can just lie and say their dogs are service dogs. I think we need to update the law now, given how many people without disabilities are abusing it.

Currently, a number of amusement parks like Six Flags and Universal are battling law suits because they are asking for some sort of documentation of disability. I think Disney is going a slightly different way. They just want the person with the developmental disability or autism to be on the call so a medical professional can verify there is a condition that warrants a line-skipping accommodation. People with other disabilities and medical needs will be offered another type of accommodation, such as the ability to rent a scooter, bring a wheel chair, leave & return to lines, etc.

If people still want to skip lines for convenience, they can buy Genie+ just like everyone else. It's that simple. I'm so glad Disney is keeping it simple and addressing the LL abuse. People who are on here saying how much easier their trips are with LLs can still buy Genie+ and use it.

Think about people with mobility issues. They can pay to rent a scooter. Disney doesn't ask for proof of mobility issues to rent a scooter. All of these people on here saying that LL really helps them have a better trip with their disability can still pay to get Genie+ to use LL. That option is still available to them.

It's good to remember that the vast majority of guests are honest people who would never consider faking a disability / diagnosis in order to get DAS. The very few who would do this are not the majority. We are doing a lot of extrapolating based on stories read online about that one person who abuses it.

Even the "80% of those in the LL are using DAS" being circulated as fact - when it's a bogus rumor. Anyone who has used DAS knows that almost no one scanning in around them in the LL is also using DAS. Most are G+ or Ride swap users. It's easy to tell the difference at scan in. And it's not 80%.
I’d also to venture to say that the person wasn’t “bragging.” I don’t know a single able bodied person that would trade their mental or physical health for the opportunity to use a DAS pass. I’m sure the mom was like “well, we have extensive therapies, treatments, doctor appointments, etc, but at least we get DAS pass.” Just looking for a silver lining in what can be a trying and difficult parenting journey.

The issue with that is ADA states that people with disabilities don't have to provide proof of disability. That is why so many people abuse laws about service dogs and such. They can just lie and say their dogs are service dogs. I think we need to update the law now, given how many people without disabilities are abusing it.

Currently, a number of amusement parks like Six Flags and Universal are battling law suits because they are asking for some sort of documentation of disability. I think Disney is going a slightly different way. They just want the person with the developmental disability or autism to be on the call so a medical professional can verify there is a condition that warrants a line-skipping accommodation. People with other disabilities and medical needs will be offered another type of accommodation, such as the ability to rent a scooter, bring a wheel chair, leave & return to lines, etc.

If people still want to skip lines for convenience, they can buy Genie+ just like everyone else. It's that simple. I'm so glad Disney is keeping it simple and addressing the LL abuse. People who are on here saying how much easier their trips are with LLs can still buy Genie+ and use it.
It’s not about making the trip ‘easier’ for those with genuine need. It’s a necessity. Waiting in hour long queues, even with an option to leave and rejoin, is not possible for some people with conditions that are not developmental. That is the issue and Disney need to address that.

They just want the person with the developmental disability or autism to be on the call so a medical professional can verify there is a condition that warrants a line-skipping accommodation.
That isn't new to this change. The DAS user has always needed to be on the call.

For a child like mine that is minimally speaking, they take her photo and then finish the call with me. They aren't able to verify anything with her.

In my view, reduce the attractiveness of DAS and make it equitable to regular guests’ experiences. They seem to have this planned with no more pre-selections and a 10-min wait before booking the next selection. Could be taken further by only allowing a next selection if you scan again exiting the ride. This would reduce abuse.

Also, make the application process more stringent and actually enforce some kind of medical evidence. I understand the legality issues here but it can be done.

Introduce the other options like return-to-queue so for those who it is a good option can use it.

Finally, avoid using conditions as examples for DAS. Have the CM video calls to look at all accommodations based on need. Use the health experts to ensure accommodations are appropriate.

All of this would reduce pressure on DAS without segregating based on diagnoses.
The video call was intense but easier than I expected (getting to the decision making CM involved a long wait and I had to keep the screen active or I would get dropped and kicked out of the queue) and the CM had no questions (beyond the initial why) once she saw our DD. I had a seat with a 3 point harness (someone said the person with the disability had to be present and awake so I had it already set up) and she still managed to bounce around for majority of the call. It took me holding an iPad behind the phone multiple times to get her to look up. The CM gave up and used an acceptable photo after her third try.

Last edited:
It’s not about making the trip ‘easier’ for those with genuine need. It’s a necessity. Waiting in hour long queues, even with an option to leave and rejoin, is not possible for some people with conditions that are not developmental. That is the issue and Disney need to address that.

For many people, having a scooter is a necessity. They still have to pay to rent it. For you, maybe a shorter line is a necessity. If you don't qualify for DAS, you can pay for Genie+. No one is saying you can't.

You know, I was thinking the Disney lawyers probably have a ton of data that says the regular park goers are riding fewer rides than DAS folks. They may even have data that Genie+/ LL folks are also riding fewer rides than DAS folks.

It would explain their current confidence to make a wholesale change b/c if it's true, they will win on any court challenge.
I ride significantly less rides now than I did with paper fast pass. Partly because Disney is more crowded. Partly because lines are longer. Mostly because the whole trip is about more to me than riding attractions now. Does that mean the data collected that I ride attractions less times than a family with a DAS, who could be circling back on spaceship earth 10 times in a row to please a disabled person, mean they shouldn't get an accomodation?

With all that collected data shouldn't there be a way to figure out what should be typical ride ability during each day at each park and cap DAS line accomodations? The DAS holder could tap into those attractions where they require line accomodations and it would count down to the expected attractions per guest per day cap. It wouldn't be perfect, certainly, but would meet the needs of those truly in need of a DAS and stop the abuse by non disabled theft.

“These changes come after Disney officials said DAS usage has tripled at the parks over the past five years.”
Who could've imagined that there would be such an uptick in DAS usage once they started charging (and more complicated) for the previously free fastpasses???? hmmm...oh wait, only everyone, but Disney apparently 😳 Again, they've created this problem and are just making it worse and insulting at this point.

For many people, having a scooter is a necessity. They still have to pay to rent it. For you, maybe a shorter line is a necessity. If you don't qualify for DAS, you can pay for Genie+. No one is saying you can't.
Genie+ works completely differently from DAS. For starters, it doesn't allow open ended return, which is critical for many DAS users.

Genie+ is not comparable to DAS.

You are virtually queueing with DAS. You are still waiting the queue time (admittedly sometimes shorter which is why I agree with removing pre-selections and only allowing new selections 10 mins after scanning in).

Genie+ you are limited to one go on each ride. If someone wants to do the same ride for the whole day, that is not possible. Regular guests can do this - why shouldn’t someone with a disability for whom queue-rejoin would not accommodate?

Genie+ can sell out. It’s a paid convenience product. It isn’t there as a solution for someone who physically is unable to queue for extended periods of time.

Genie+ you have a windowed return time. This is not suitable for most needing a service like DAS.

They are completely different products. Suggesting anyone who relies and NEEDS to use DAS should now simply purchase Genie+ instead is a harmful assertion.

Genie+ works completely differently from DAS. For starters, it doesn't allow open ended return, which is critical for many DAS users.
Yep. That's the part most used by us. We have a significantly lower pace due to DD's disabilities and struggle mightily to be in certain places by certain times. Genie+ doesn't solve that (if anything it exacerbates it). We often didn't use preselects for the same reason - we just couldn't get there.

I know someone that had huge intestinal surgery and is in the bathroom every 30 minutes regardless of what they do. If they had to get in line for Mine Train is there going to be a CM to hold their place 2-4 times during that wait... there could be 10 people in line with same issues and I don't see Disney putting hundreds of CM's on the schedule as line holders.

Feel like the idea is with good intentions to cut down on the abusers but this is going to change going to Disney for a lot of people.

This sounds like a situation that would be difficult to navigate even under current DAS rules, much less any proposed changes. Just going to an attraction, immediately getting on and off and then back to a restroom would seem to be pushing 30 minutes in a lot of cases. And that's assuming no delays or stoppages and everything flows perfect. It would stress me out even getting into Magic Kingdom. Ferry, monorail, buses, all would push that 30 minute window.

I feel for someone in that situation.

Think about people with mobility issues. They can pay to rent a scooter. Disney doesn't ask for proof of mobility issues to rent a scooter. All of these people on here saying that LL really helps them have a better trip with their disability can still pay to get Genie+ to use LL. That option is still available to them.
Ok. But again — you’re not seeming to recognize that there’s more out there than developmental disorders and medical conditions that can be alleviated by leaving the line and coming back. MS is one of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter