dark queue lines at disney

EleanorKFG

Earning My Ears
hi there,
first of all hello, i found this forum by googling and it has been really helpful in understanding how Disney accommodates those with disabilities
i have a small disability (compared to some here), i have late on-set retina pigmentosa, this makes it much harder to see during the night, so i think I will simply not stay late at night.
however I do hope to enjoy the parks during the day, but i am abit concerned about dark queues in Disney. i have been reading the app and it doesn't say anything about how dark the queues are
so I was hoping someone could let me know
1. Which rides have dark queues (i am OK with short bits of darkness but would hate to be for an hour or whatever as my eyes simply can not adjust) so I can plan Fast-pass for these rides
2. What sorts of assistance might disney be able to offer

Thanks
eleanor

there are a few dark lines POTCB, comes to mind

I have heard that if you get a flashlight with a red ( I think this was to color ) then the light is not so bright that it bothers other guest around you.

I have turned the light on my phone on some times and some toilet paper over where the light comes out so that it is much dimmer and then held it so the light is just in front of me.

as fair as what can Disney do really nothing at all sorry

hi gap2368
thanks so much for the response. What is POTCB?
I think rides that are dark themselves, i wouldnt do, such as space mountain, so i think it is just where the queues are dark but the rides are not pitch black, which maybe is not many (at least I hope)
i don't have a red light on my phone and am abit sceptical that it would be enough (without distracting other people).
dumb question but i guess there is no chance Disney would be able to turn on extra lights in the line while I go through? i guess not as it would disturb other guests but I thought i would ask
Thanks again

Pirates of the Caribbean has a dark line. So does The Seas with Nemo and Friends. Even i have problems seeing in that one sometimes. Frozen Ever After is a bit dark and inside the Mexican temple it's always night. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. You can always ask a cast member if there's a super secret way, but no, they won't turn on the lights.

hi there,
first of all hello, i found this forum by googling and it has been really helpful in understanding how Disney accommodates those with disabilities
i have a small disability (compared to some here), i have late on-set retina pigmentosa, this makes it much harder to see during the night, so i think I will simply not stay late at night.
however I do hope to enjoy the parks during the day, but i am abit concerned about dark queues in Disney. i have been reading the app and it doesn't say anything about how dark the queues are
so I was hoping someone could let me know
1. Which rides have dark queues (i am OK with short bits of darkness but would hate to be for an hour or whatever as my eyes simply can not adjust) so I can plan Fast-pass for these rides
2. What sorts of assistance might disney be able to offer

Thanks
eleanor

You can go and talk with Guest Services. They might offer a DAS to help, but none of us can guarantee you'll be offered this.

As for long dark lines, Space Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean come to mind, but you said you wouldn't do Space Mountain. You might want to use FP+ if you want to ride Pirates.

not much a DAS would do for the OP as you would have to be in a line any ways, it might make the line a little shorter but not much, and there really is not many lines at WDW that are very dark ( I think in all of WDW maybe 5 ) and one of them the Mexico one has no FP,.and it would not help for haunted mansion at all since the inside part is after where the FP and stand by come to gather.

I would just plane on using a flash light ( and just have it aimed right infant of you ) and if you are in any pre-show like at Hounted mansion I would turn it off. And Disney can not turn on more light for you this would be more distracting then a flash light

Mk:
-parts of Splash Mtn queue
-Pirates queue
-Haunted Mansion queue
-Buzz Lightyear queue
-Country Bear Jamboree
-Tiki Room
-Mickey's Philharmagic is a darker theatre, you may need CM's to seat you
-I think parts of Peter Pan queue are dark?
-the Little Mermaid queue isn't very bright either

EPCOT
-the Mexican pavilion can be dark and crowded to navigate to the ride, but the ride is fine
-Spaceship Earth isn't too dark at the start, but CM's can help

I don't see anything at DHS

The Avatar rides are both dark but CM's can help

Peter Pan's Flight is a very dark queue, and the stand-by wait is very long! I would absolutely make a FP+ for Peter Pan if you want to experience it.

Mk:
-Pirates queue
-Haunted Mansion queue
-Buzz Lightyear queue
-Country Bear Jamboree
-Tiki Room

EPCOT
-the Mexican pavilion can be dark and crowded to navigate to the ride, but the ride is fine

Tiki Room queue is outside - how can it be dark? (Well, they are not going at night, so how can it be dark during the day?)

I don't remember the Buzz queue being dark at all - it was well lit the last time we went on it?

The only queues that are extensively dark are the POTC (Pirates of the Caribbean) one and Little mermaid, IMO - and they can be winding and tricky. Get FP+ for those to avoid the turns? Although POTC's FP+ queue is still dark and winding?

How about using a wheelchair for the dark queues? That way, you could sit and have a light in your hands to look at, while someone safely guides you through the queue?

Mk:
-Pirates queue
-Haunted Mansion queue
-Buzz Lightyear queue
-Country Bear Jamboree
-Tiki Room

EPCOT

Tiki Room queue is outside - how can it be dark? (Well, they are not going at night, so how can it be dark during the day?)

I don't remember the Buzz queue being dark at all - it was well lit the last time we went on it?

The only queues that are extensively dark are the POTC (Pirates of the Caribbean) one and Little mermaid, IMO - and they can be winding and tricky. Get FP+ for those to avoid the turns? Although POTC's FP+ queue is still dark and winding?

How about using a wheelchair for the dark queues? That way, you could sit and have a light in your hands to look at, while someone safely guides you through the queue?

also space ship earth is out side up till where you board and that is not in the dark

I do agree buzz is not dark at all

and the only dark ride lines at MK are priest and little mermaid

at EPCOT
the ride in Mexico

AK

the two pandora rides ( kind of dark)

like I said I would plane on FP and a flash light keep it pointed down and turn it off for pre show ( like at the haunted Manson and tower of terror )

also space ship earth is out side up till where you board and that is not in the dark

and the only dark ride lines at MK are priest and little mermaid

I do not have vision problems (other than wearing glasses), and I find it difficult (very dark) on Haunted mansion when exiting the stretching room and going toward the doom buggies. Everyone from the stretching room going into a single file line and it is dark and crowded and very difficult to maneuver. Just my opinion.

I do not have vision problems (other than wearing glasses), and I find it difficult (very dark) on Haunted mansion when exiting the stretching room and going toward the doom buggies. Everyone from the stretching room going into a single file line and it is dark and crowded and very difficult to maneuver. Just my opinion.
yes I skip the stretching room I was listing things that a FP would help with and since the area were the FP and stand by come together is out side it would not help to wast a FP on this ride,

OP when you first go inside stay to your right against the wall there should be a CM there and ask if you can skip the stretching room and be load on at the exit. ( you might want to tell them you have a vision problem) they should be able to direct you to where you need to go and if you are loaded at the exit then the CM will walk you to the ride car.

if you would like do the stretching room be the last one in and last one out should help

My eyes are slow to adjust to darkness. I also ride an ECV. Worst attraction for me are the Sea at EPCOT. If you are not a big Nemo fan, enter the pavilion from the exit and skip the ride. The pavilion is wonderful but the ride is an skip-able. Pirates and Haunted House are the ones in MK that I struggle with. Can't think of a problem ride at AK or DHS with darkness.

Are you going alone? If not, have your travel companion hold your hand (elbow?) in line to guide you. My husband helps me when I must leave the ECV. Otherwise, I turn of my headlight.

Leaving the parks before dark will make you miss a bunch of their magic. Hope you can find a way to stay at night.

yes I skip the stretching room I was listing things that a FP would help with and since the area were the FP and stand by come together is out side it would not help to wast a FP on this ride,

OP when you first go inside stay to your right against the wall there should be a CM there and ask if you can skip the stretching room and be load on at the exit. ( you might want to tell them you have a vision problem) they should be able to direct you to where you need to go and if you are loaded at the exit then the CM will walk you to the ride car.

Sounds like a great idea if she can be loaded at the exit!

I have problems with the lighting for the line at the Nemo ride. I usually park my ECV and walk and I've ran into many fake wood bars.

Last edited:
MIL had a hard time at the Frozen ride. We went through the FP line, and it was difficult for even me to see since it goes from bright sunlight to a dark room.

The line for Nemo is ridiculously dark! I have decreased night vision and almost had a panic attack in that line. I thought since it was a walk on I could easily take my 1 year old on it by myself. Big mistake lol!

On Tower of Terror, there's a room where they show the Twilight Zone story of the ride on TV and it gets completely dark, even if you fastpass the ride you still have to go through this part but I have heard that some guests have been able to bypass this room by speaking with a CM.

You may want to completely avoid Pandora at night. There isn't any consistency in the lighting. Some areas are well lit if they are near an attraction or store or by the blacklights and others are so dark it is a hazard. I had to hold on to my husband practically the whole time we were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter