D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering finally making the trip but not sure I can talk anyone into going with me. Are there are a lot of solo travelers that go?
I’ve attended both solo and with others. Solo allows for a bit more flexibility re changing your mind on panels of where to wander between panels. As many have noted, we are all Disney nerds so easy to find folks to talk to or someone to hold your place in line for a few minutes,

MiceChat published an interview with the VP of D23, Michael Vargo, on what to expect in 2019
http://micechat.com/188648-d23-michael-vargo-expo-2019/

Not a lot there, but I'm most interested in his comments on StagePass and StorePass. I might be reading too much into his remarks, but I expect that we will have a paid version (similar to MaxPass) next year.

He also remarks that only three of the 50 shows/panels in 2017 were at capacity -- which of course were the three most sought-after ones. ;)
I really hope they do not start charging for store pass or stage passes... both seemed to work much better last year especially the store passes that seemed to have more availability than the first year they tried them.

Hilton and Marriott are both directly adjacent to the the convention center entrance.

Hilton for D23 2017 initially (about a year in advance) had low rates (below $200/night) before prices when way up. Hilton perhaps forgot to initially block the Expo dates, and low rate reservations could not be modified. Hilton did not participate in discounted rates through D23.

Marriott did not allow direct booking (through Marriott.com) a year in advance, but discounted rates were available through D23. Rates were around $250/night, and changes were possible.

We enjoyed our stay at Marriott for D23, and will likely stay there again next year. Both Marriott and Hilton are full service hotels (bell, valet, room service).

Be careful when booking your dates at the Hilton. Last time, we had rooms booked at the Hilton and at the Sheraton Park. When we tried to make one change to the Hilton reservation, the rate went up exponentially! (And I remember a few other people here having similar issues with the Hilton.) So we went with the Sheraton (who not only made the changes we needed, but honored the original rate) and had a great stay. In 2013, we had a great stay at the Hilton, but the rates last year were ridiculous.
The same thing happened to me. I had booked the Hilton for more nights than I ended up needing. When I tried to just drop 1 night they were going to re-book the entire reservation at the new rate. It was an outrageous difference. I can't remember exact numbers but I recall telling someone that the cost went up 5x what I was originally paying. Needless to say, I just stayed for the extra night to avoid the additional cost.

It always seems like people prefer the Hilton to the Marriott even though they are equidistant to the convention center. Does anyone know why that is? What is wrong with the Marriott? After my less than stellar experience with Hilton last year, I am planning to stay at the Marriott next year. Unless I hear a compelling reason not to.

I suspect that's going to come in real handy for food and bathroom breaks. I actually looked at booking a room, but the hotels near the convention center aren't booking out that far online. Maybe the 3 of us can share a room. I am still thinking about doing a VIP tour for SWGE during the trip. However, everything is really too far out to book anything.
Do you have any details on the VIP tour for SWGE? I would definitely be interested in something like that.

It always seems like people prefer the Hilton to the Marriott even though they are equidistant to the convention center. Does anyone know why that is? What is wrong with the Marriott? After my less than stellar experience with Hilton last year, I am planning to stay at the Marriott next year. Unless I hear a compelling reason not to.

I got Hilton gold status from work, so that's why I prefer it. No other reason beyond that.

We have stayed at both, and these are equivalent business hotels.

Does booking for the Disney Hotels open with D23 registration?

The Disney Disneyland Resort hotels should be included with the reservation bookings available through the D23 Expo reservations. For past Expos, we have booked the reservation ourselves and used the Expo reservation service - so we have experience with both methods.

The 2019 reservation dates for the Disneyland Resort hotels may or may not be loaded into the non-Expo reservation system by the time the tickets go on-sale, Disneyland's loading is a bit quirky regarding timing. General 2017 reservations were not open for booking when the tickets went on sale in July 2016, so we went through the Expo reservation system. For the 2017 Expo reservations, we could not choose anything beyond a hotel with their booking system - no choice of room type or view, at least for the Disneyland Resort hotels. So the answer would probably be a qualified yes.

Do you have any details on the VIP tour for SWGE? I would definitely be interested in something like that.

It's not a specific VIP tour for SWGE. I was thinking of booking a private VIP tour that would specifically or mainly focus on SWGE for one of the non-Expo days. However, it's still too early to book VIP tours at DLR. I thought it would be the best way to deal with "Space Madness":)

Yay! Count me in. I missed the 2009 Expo, but have gone to every Expo since.

As for hotels, my Expo buddy and I book a hotel each exactly a year in advance. That way if our adult DDs want to come they can. They usually don't. Too much going on with college and stuff.

We usually stay at the Desert Palms Hotel & Suites. It is a bit of a walk but we mange.

Drat! I'm sad they went back to late August... we'll be in Africa so there goes my plan for a solo trip unless we move it (we probably won't as that time of year is prime migration viewing in Kenya...) :sad2:

What does everyone like to/choose to do when they go?

I was planning a trip to Disneyland next year and I've always fancied going to the Expo. It's not the best dates for me, prime holiday time for the UK so I expect flights to be expensive and I might not be able to make it happen, I'll have to see how my savings go over the next couple of months.

My if I can make it happen plan was to do the Expo and then visit Knott's Berry Farm for a day before heading over to Disneyland for a few days, I'd heard during Expo time the parks are crazy, I have been before though so I have a smaller to do list.

I was planning a trip to Disneyland next year and I've always fancied going to the Expo. It's not the best dates for me, prime holiday time for the UK so I expect flights to be expensive and I might not be able to make it happen, I'll have to see how my savings go over the next couple of months.

My if I can make it happen plan was to do the Expo and then visit Knott's Berry Farm for a day before heading over to Disneyland for a few days, I'd heard during Expo time the parks are crazy, I have been before though so I have a smaller to do list.
They have moved the Expo around on dates so it is hard to generalize that the parks are crazy as a result. In 2019 the parks will be a challenge because it is after the SCAP blockout lifts and that will put the Expo right in the path of a bunch of local AP holders scratching and clawing to get into DL because of the new Star Wars Land. It will be a hurricane and no way to avoid - so just make the best of it.

Really, I would skip Knott's Berry Farm if I were you. If you have an extra day go to the beach - either right onto the sand and into the water (Newport or Huntington?) or find a nice boardwalk or pier (Newport or maybe Santa Monica Pier or one of the LA beaches like Venice - LOL, I have never been to those beaches) and go for a nice long walk and do some shopping.

I am not the best one to ask about "what I do" as I have lots of family in the area and used to live there. For someone like yourself, take some time to see part of SoCal and please do not spend all your time at theme parks. Yes, for WDW vets, I get it. But California is not Florida. Looks like you have been to DLR before so you have at least some idea.

For the Expo, plan to dedicate your time to the Expo. Plan to get very little sleep and wait in lots of lines - way more than at DLR or WDW. Bring reading material and snacks. Get a hotel near the Expo. A good option if you want to do parks and Expo and do not want to switch hotels is the Candy Cane Inn. I did my first Expo from the CCI and it worked out great. I would plan to visit the parks a day or two before the Expo then a day or two after. Give yourself a break from the parks and all the energy of being in the park.

Hope that helps!

:wizard:

They have moved the Expo around on dates so it is hard to generalize that the parks are crazy as a result. In 2019 the parks will be a challenge because it is after the SCAP blockout lifts and that will put the Expo right in the path of a bunch of local AP holders scratching and clawing to get into DL because of the new Star Wars Land. It will be a hurricane and no way to avoid - so just make the best of it.

Really, I would skip Knott's Berry Farm if I were you. If you have an extra day go to the beach - either right onto the sand and into the water (Newport or Huntington?) or find a nice boardwalk or pier (Newport or maybe Santa Monica Pier or one of the LA beaches like Venice - LOL, I have never been to those beaches) and go for a nice long walk and do some shopping.

I am not the best one to ask about "what I do" as I have lots of family in the area and used to live there. For someone like yourself, take some time to see part of SoCal and please do not spend all your time at theme parks. Yes, for WDW vets, I get it. But California is not Florida. Looks like you have been to DLR before so you have at least some idea.

For the Expo, plan to dedicate your time to the Expo. Plan to get very little sleep and wait in lots of lines - way more than at DLR or WDW. Bring reading material and snacks. Get a hotel near the Expo. A good option if you want to do parks and Expo and do not want to switch hotels is the Candy Cane Inn. I did my first Expo from the CCI and it worked out great. I would plan to visit the parks a day or two before the Expo then a day or two after. Give yourself a break from the parks and all the energy of being in the park.

Hope that helps!

:wizard:

Yeah that sounds like it'll be fun but if I go then I'll be going prepared so should do alright.

I won't have a car and I can't/don't swim and I don't mind hanging at a beach if I'm with someone but I will likely be on my own so I'll just get bored :rotfl:. I did LA last time and I'm not much of shopper these days either but I might do something like San Francisco on the train for day or two but budget will be dictating whether that happens. I do have friends in the area so it depends if they are about I'll try see them during the trip.

Thanks for the hotel suggestion and Expo tips, it's giving me stuff to think about. :)

As HydroGuy says, a full experience Expo is little sleep & lots of lines, but it is a lot of fun. The lines & waiting seems to be the biggest unexpected aspect for first time attendees, especially for those who have not been to any sort of “con” type event before.

As for what do do, there is so much to choose from, depending on your areas of interest. Some like the mega-popular live action films or parks & resorts updates, which take a big chunk of time. Others will do smaller panels & get more things in. Some do a mix of the two. Then there’s the show floor, with lots happening in many different Areas. It seems like you can still get the 2017 D23 expo app in the App Store. You might want to check that out to see what the daily schedules were like last time. Also, check out the 2017 expo thread on DisBoards, with attendee comments at the last few pages.

HydroGuy also notes that the expo will be when historically the SoCal resident annual passes that have been blocked for the summer are once again active, which adds to the crowds especially on that last weekend of August before Labor Day weekend. Best bet for park visits would be after expo, mid-week when many SoCal schools are starting back up.

Also, keep an eye out for possible changes to the Disneyland annual pass blockout dates. There are rumors starting up on some of the blogs that passes may be blocked at different times by Park, and possibly many APs blocked for the entire summer next year due to Star Wars land opening, to help alleviate the anticipated crowed that first summer. Should any of that come to pass, there would likely be fewer locals in the parks/in Disneyland until after Labor Day. Will be interesting to see what happens with the APs & blockout dates later this year.

As HydroGuy says, a full experience Expo is little sleep & lots of lines, but it is a lot of fun. The lines & waiting seems to be the biggest unexpected aspect for first time attendees, especially for those who have not been to any sort of “con” type event before...

This is so true! And the lines and waiting can really catch people off guard, especially if they haven't done any research beforehand. I remember last time reading posts from someone who did no research, showed up on day one, and was irate (to the point of sending complaint letters to D23!) that 40,000 other attendees dared to show up, too! The crowds and the lines are part of the Expo experience -- and where you meet some of the nicest people and have a surprising amount of fun.

This is so true! And the lines and waiting can really catch people off guard, especially if they haven't done any research beforehand. I remember last time reading posts from someone who did no research, showed up on day one, and was irate (to the point of sending complaint letters to D23!) that 40,000 other attendees dared to show up, too! The crowds and the lines are part of the Expo experience -- and where you meet some of the nicest people and have a surprising amount of fun.

Yes, I love reading reports from people who showed up at 9am when the doors opened and expected to be able to just waltz in and do whatever they wanted. People do very little research and then think they are going to be able to walk in, look at some booths, walk into a panel, and leave. Research, research, research.

Well ... we'll see. August would mean pushing pretty hard against our Dreams Unlimited FAM at WDW which is usually early September. I'd love to do back to back D23s for the first time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts