Curfews and Park Hours

seashoreCM

All around nice guy.
Anyone have first hand experiences this past summer regarding municipal curfews during the times the hurricanes came?

o Did Disney make announcements and put up signs throughout the parks if a curfew was in effect that evening near or before the park closed?

o Did you leave early to beat the curfew, or stay until park closing (if applicable) and take your chances?

o Were the WDW property exits coned off and late departing guests forced to make a U turn and book a resort room?

o Was there still traffic on the main roads (like 192, I-4, International Drive) as if nobody was being stopped until traffic died way down of its own accord?

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

If Florida wanted to kill its tourist industry it did a good job by imposing curfews after the hurricane passed. Lots of tourists had cabin fever and lots of businesses were ready to bounce back and then the authorities went to the airwaves to tell people to cut their day short to get off the streets by six ...

So next year people are going to be more careful about booking their WDW trips and Florida conventions.

[]

If Florida wanted to kill its tourist industry it did a good job by imposing curfews after the hurricane passed. Lots of tourists had cabin fever and lots of businesses were ready to bounce back and then the authorities went to the airwaves to tell people to cut their day short to get off the streets by six ...

So next year people are going to be more careful about booking their WDW trips and Florida conventions. [/B]
The many tourists that were ready and the scattered business that were ready may have been...but those who work at those places who may have lost all or parts or their homes weren't ready. The streets with no traffic or street lights weren't ready, those again who worked at the "ready" places may not have had electric & therefor not ready. So as you can see, there were more "not ready residents" than the "ready tourists" and scattered "ready business's". Florida did not impose a curfew to kill the tourist industry, they did it to keep the tourist safe. Had you lived here (or anywhere that any of the hurricanes hit in the last 7 weeks or so) you would understand. Being on vacation & living here during a hurricane are two totally different things! Please think about what you have said. As far as re-thinking your plan for next year, that is a good thought. You can come when it isn't value season, which by the way, hurricanes is one of the many reasons that this time of year is value season. A few years ago Oct was also value at Disney, however after the increase in attendance it has changed it to Regular season instead. If attendance were to drop once again (say back to what it was), I am sure it would go back to value season..... lower rates seem to draw people when in need of them ::yes::

Originally posted by A Mickeyfan
The streets with no traffic or street lights weren't ready,

This has been a big deal around here. I can't tell you how many wrecks we have had due to this. There is a major intersection close to our home, and there has been a major wreck EVERY DAY since Ivan hit - two involved a death.

It is hard to understand if you're not living in it. Things you take for granted just aren't there for quite awhile afterwards. I almost ran out of gas yesterday trying to find a station that was #1 open and #2 actually had gas. I finally found one on the 5th try.

The curfews are there to keep everyone safe - especially the tourists - who aren't as familiar with their surroundings.

thanks kbkids!!!! .... for painting the visual for those not living in hurricane destruction paths. I think even those that still go to WDW during the storms are not really experiencing what the rest of us experience. WDW has a wonderful quality of "sheltering" you from the outside world. granted this is one of the things i love most about the world, but it is hard to grasp what these storms really do to people's lives.
I am a nurse and I cannot tell you the amount of car accidents, and accidents in general (mainly chainsaw hero's and people falling off roofs) we have encountered here in pcola at my hospital.
Believe me, curfews are for protection. We sat in the dark with our 38' nearby for a few nights, looting is a problem. especially in neighborhoods in hard hit areas. I cannot imagine the person that would loot a home and steal someone's few remaining possessions. but people do it, and curfews help prevent that.

prayers to all of you at DIS dealing with the latest storm. and thanks to all of those that have been so kind and thoughtful with your posts.:earsgirl:

Originally posted by seashoreCM

o Did Disney make announcements and put up signs throughout the parks if a curfew was in effect that evening near or before the park closed?

o Did you leave early to beat the curfew, or stay until park closing (if applicable) and take your chances?

disney did not make announcements or put up signs in the parks because the PARKS WERE CLOSED! during hurricane frances, knowing that the winds and rains and curfews were coming wdw did not open any parks saturday and sunday... buses did not run... monorails did not run... boats did not run... if you chose to leave your resort (by your own or rental car) you did so at your own risk...

at the resorts guests were left voice mail messages and flyers on their doors, informing them of closures, conditions, curfews, etc... in these messages guests were encouraged not to leave the resort for any reason... if you were on disney property, you were encouraged to remain there, for your own and the safety of others (not so disney could make an extra buck on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich as others on the boards have suggested!)...

imo, disney did everything humanly and mouse-ly possible to keep their guests, safe, informed, comfortable and entertained!

If you were stopped on the road after curfew the police had the right to put you in jail with no bail.

I think tourists should have to abide by the curfew just like the residents had to.

It was very dangerous to be out driving with no lights, lines down,etc.

I don't think police were patrolling on Disney property but if tourists went off site then it was their own fault if they were stopped for ignoring the curfew.

The curfew was put in place for the good of everyone.

Lots of residents could have had cabin fever if their houses had survived. I feel for the tourists but many areas of Florida have been declared disaster areas for a reason.

How do you know that lots of businesses were ready to jump back? I live here and many many businesses were having a hard time after the hurricanes with supplies, power, even having enough workers to staff the stores since their homes were damaged.

Originally posted by safetymom
I live here and many many businesses were having a hard time after the hurricanes with supplies, power, even having enough workers to staff the stores since their homes were damaged.

No kidding - on a lighter note - about a week ago, I was stuck in the never ending traffic trying to get back home. I was so thirsty and looked up and Burger King had a piece of plywood propped up on the side of the road with "We're Open!" spray painted on it. Oh thank goodness!! I whipped in there, drove around to the drive-thru (wondered if it would be open, but it was), and then saw the sign taped on the menu board - "Cheeseburgers and Chicken Tenders only - NO DRINKS AVAILABLE!" I thought I was going to cry! I felt like a spoiled child, "But I want a COKE!!"

I completely understand. :) My daughter wanted a glass of milk after the hurricane and couldn't find any in the grocery stores.

It is amazing to see grocery stores and Super Wal Marts with meat,dairy, frozen food sections with nothing there!!!

It's the simple things that meant so much after the hurricanes.

I would like to also add, Charley hit hard here on Aug 13th, today is Oct 1st and all of our business aren't open.....some of them may never open back up, they have lost too much! So yes, safetymom...how did OP know that many were ready to open & bounce back??? I was so caught up in the residents and the loss of homes & electric, not thinking where OP got that thought from...
a bit off topic (sort of) ... I am living across from a field where they are bringing mulch to...the mulch that is being made from all the tree/bushes debris... the pile keeps growing and growing, It is so high now that I cannot see my house from the main road anymore...not even the roof....so ready to bounce back, I think not, we are trying but not there yet!!!... Anyone need some free mulch????? It is starting to smell from it around here...

A Mickeyfan, our county got hit with the path of the hurricane 3 times. My roof is now totally covered with blue tarps. You can't go anywhere here without seeing amazing damage.

I consider myself so lucky to be sitting here writing on my computer with my power restored and my home mostly intact.

So many people are suffering here in FL. and it is going to be a long time before things get back to normal. Tourists are good but they need to understand that everything is not back to the way it was before the hurricanes.

I live in Pensacola as well, and although we are 17 days after Ivan, things aren't exactly back to normal around here, and for some residents around the gulf coast of Fl things will never be the same again. Again, I do not think people who haven't witnessed it can fathom the aftermath of a hurricane or the destruction it can cause you if you are in it's path. People around here have lost their lives, homes, automobiles and their most valuable possesions. The residents of Pensacola Beach and Perdido Key aren't even allowed to visit or see their homes for a length of time that no one is sure of. People around here are still searching for the basic neccesities of life like food, water and shelter, some people have absolutely nothing and are having to solely rely on Red Cross and Fema along with other federal and local aid. To put it bluntly, with everything that has happened in my town lately I could care less about our tourist industry. If you were a tourist visiting when Ivan or any other storm hit then you could go home, this is our home, my suggestion would be to stay away from Florida or any other gulf coast lying state between the months of June thru November. The curfews imposed here where I live were put in place to help our residents, streets were without power, no street lights or anything, there was so much debris, you probably couldn't drive down most streets in daylight much less by a car's headlights, this also helped curb looters in some areas. My advice is that if you ever are, God forbid, a visitor in Fl during a Hurricane, watch the local news and have flashlights, batteries, radio and water and be prepared, if there is a curfew imposed abide by it for your own safety and that of others. Sorry to be blunt but having just gone through this, it is very fresh on my mind and is still a big sore spot for lots of us locals for whom normal life has still yet to resume. For information and lots of pics of my town and the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan on the gulf visit www.pensacolanewsjournal.com
Kim

BTW, With all the people here to help with disaster relief efforts and insurance adjusters I know our tourism industry is not hurting, there isn't a vacany in Pensacola until some time in December.

Originally posted by Miniefan
BTW, With all the people here to help with disaster relief efforts and insurance adjusters I know our tourism industry is not hurting, there isn't a vacany in Pensacola until some time in December.

Yeh, I couldn't believe it. The guys that were cutting the trees off my parents house were from Tampa - thought they would have had enough work there - but anyway, they were great guys - did an awesome job! They had been driving to Andalusia (they said about 4 hours) every night to sleep because that was as close as they could get. I thought, "Oh good grief! Certainly not!" So, I came home and got on the computer - NOTHING in Pensacola, NOTHING in Fort Walton, ONE $379 a night condo in Destin! I couldn't believe it. Went back over with the bad news, and he said, "That's okay - my daughter just called and found me a room in Panama City - that's about a half hour away, right?" "Umm, No!" He looked at me mortified but was relieved when I told him he'd only have to drive about two hours now instead of four every night.

WE are not embellishing this situation. I had a patient yesterday that's family (from Orlando) was having to stay in Destin, nearest motel! They were driving back and forth for hours a day to visit their son who is now a paraplegic, he fell off his roof in Gulf Shores, trying to salavage his demolished home. So, the tourist industry can wait. You are right on, Miniefan! thanks for posting the PNJ link...

Safteymom, best wishes to you. We have it bad up here, but I cannot imagine how things are for you. It is still hard to believe how many storms hit your area. If my neighborhood looks like it does, I can't even imagine yours. Every house in my block have a blue tarp, the debris is piled so high. and we only had IVAN!!

Kbkids, have a great trip. We will be thinking about you, and can't wait to hear your trip report! Have fun!
:earsgirl:

Originally posted by seashoreCM

o Were the WDW property exits coned off and late departing guests forced to make a U turn and book a resort room?
No. There were no "late departing guests." Like everyone else in the area, Disney complied with the curfews and closed parks in plenty of time to get people off the roads before the curfews took effect. Pleasure Island didn't open at all. And then they did not open the next days until well after the curfews were lifted. Disney could not, nor would they ever, force any guest to book a resort room. Guests were given more than enough time to get back to their homes, I-Drive or 192 hotel rooms, or other destinations.
o Was there still traffic on the main roads (like 192, I-4, International Drive) as if nobody was being stopped until traffic died way down of its own accord?
No, not really. People were very good about maintaining curfews, realizing that they were in place for the safety and security of the hardest hit areas. Not too many people tried to get around the curfews, and those that did were detained, arrested, jailed, or fined.
But if you lived in an area that had been hard-hit and couldn't return to your home, the curfews were reassuring, in that you knew that there would be fewer people on the streets who could be looting or doing more damage to your home. And, with so many traffic signals not working and so much debris in the road and so much electricity out, it was far safer for drivers (particularly tourists, who may not be as familiar with the area) to keep them off the roads completely than to have them driving around with the potential for injury. Several people died one night just after one hurricane because they drove directly into large debris in the road, which they could not see due to no electricity and, therefore, no street lights. If it's between a tourist complaining because they have cabin fever and a tourist ending up dead, I think most people at the Tourism Bureau would rather have the complaint.

:earsboy:

I'd like to add one more note about the roads. I know it will probably generate some upset replies but oh well.

On a PERFECT day, there are MANY auto accidents all over Central Florida. I have no idea the ratio between "locals" and "tourists" but I can tell you that I have seen rental cars backing up on I4, driving on the wrong side of the road, and slamming on the breaks and cutting across 3 lanes of I4 or 192 to make an exit or restaurant. Keeping everyone off the streets on a day where there are no street lights and many signs gone only makes sense around here.

Sure, "locals" tend to drive fast, but I believe much of that is knowing where they are and where they are going. I drive very slowly in places I am unfamiliar with and the "locals", wherever in the country, will fly by.

The curfew was not put in place to kill the tourism industry. It was there to protect homes and businesses as well as keep people off the dark, flooded streets.

Ted

(Excerpts from one of many news articles concerning the loss of tourism)

Disney World reopens after storm, industry nervous

Mon Sep 27, 2004 04:23 PM ET By Peter H.

LOS ANGELES, Sept 27 (Reuters) - Walt Disney World reopened on Monday after the ... hurricane ... closed the resort for a day and sparked wider fears tourists might start avoiding the state.

[They] resort sent guests to their rooms on Sunday, but cleanup crews worked overnight to put the Orlando-based park in shape for guests on Monday morning. ... said Disney World spokeswoman Kim P. "[Monday] looks like a normal day at Disney World."

But Orlando resident and tourism industry consultant Peter Y. said the storms collectively may scare away tourists from the Sunshine State.

"Normally I would say, even hit by two hurricanes, we would be fully recovered by Thanksgiving, but I think people are going to be a little more nervous," he said. There was some fear big groups might avoid Florida during hurricane season next year.

"Meeting planners are redirecting business already," he said, referring to anecdotal evidence about bookings for 2005. "That may be more of an issue and a challenge for the state."

The state tourism board, Visit Florida, and industry leaders are preparing to lobby Gov. Jeb Bush to support a $30 million advertising campaign to repair the psychological damage of the string of storms.

© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

All this proves is that people will be more conscious of hurricane season when planning their trips and events. It says nothing about how local government has treated the aftermath.

No one, not even Disney can change the weather. Central Florida was always and will always be in an area prone to large, damaging storms.

To imply that the state or county governments have intentionally hurt the tourism industry it as pretty presumptuous.

Ted

I agree, I think it is a pretty bold statement to say they are trying to kill the tourist industry. Mother Nature can handle that on its own. Police have a duty to serve and protect. They are trying not only to protect the locals but the tourists who are there trying to have a good time.

Are you for real??? I hope and pray you never have to go through some natural disaster. Do you know that my normal 25 minute drive to work now takes nearly an hour because traffic lights are still out or missing?

Curfews are in place for EVERYONE'S safety. There are downed power lines you could drive into because it's dark out. There is all kinds of debris on the road that you could hit because it's dark out. The curfew is to help you from killing yourself or someone else.

It also helps first responders keep areas without electricty, with damaged houses, etc. better watched so that looting is prevented.

I really can't believe some people on these boards and their complaints about how the hurricane impacted their VACATION. VACATION, mind you, not their life, not their home, a vacation.

I hope worrying about a vacation is the worst worry you ever have in your life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter