Cruising Tangent - Tablets for Kids

My vote is for the new Kids Fire HD 8. Watch for holiday sales. Inexpensive and lots of fun. Your DD is perfect age.

The new Kids Fire HD 8 has a microSD slot that can hold up to 256 GB card. Little ones in my extended family have Kids Fire and love them. Device is super sturdy and price includes 2 year worry free warranty. One downside is the weight. 17.6 ozs may not seem like a lot, but if you are holding the device for an extended period of time it feels really heavy. Older kids prefer Galaxy or iPad.

I've owned Galaxy (didn't like), iPad (didn't like), plus other tablets. Have a Kindle Fire HD 8 with a 256 GB SD card. Price was so low I couldn't resist trying. I don't have any sensitive information on the Fire so feel comfortable using with public wifi. I refuse to to use public wifi with my primary devices.

I've downloaded Amazon Prime movies for offline viewing (no Internet) and the movies download to my SD card without having to designate the location. I'm not sure of time limit for offline viewing. Amazon is vague in help documents. I've never received a warning message but only keep movies on the device for a few days. Help states the download limit of "maximum of either 15 or 25 total Prime Video titles downloaded at a time across all devices associated with your Amazon account."

Side note - DH is Apple all the way.

Both of my kids (7 and 4) have Kindle Fires. Get SD cards for them. There is also a parental controls app called FreeTime that allows the parent to set up a separate account on the tablet for the child and restrict/allow whatever content. Apps, movies, books, etc. I've found that it works really well - the only problem is that it seems to need to check in every now and then via wifi and the wifi is a real battery eater. If they go more than a week or so without an internet connection all of the apps will disappear. I last saw this more than a year ago so they could have fixed it in the meantime - I've just left the wifi on so it hasn't had opportunity to occur again.

Another vote for the kindle fire here. Both of my kids have one (5 and 10 years old). We've taken 12+ hour car trips, flown internationally twice, and flown at least 6 times domestically with them and it's really made these trips easy. They play apps and watch tv shows and movies that we download onto the sd card while on wi-fi at home before we leave. I have an Amazon prime account and it has a pretty good selection of movies and shows to download at no extra cost. And we've downloaded several Disney movies using the codes in the DVD cases. My oldest also reads books on his all the time, even when not on trips. I set the parental controls and don't worry about them at all. It's easy enough for my 5 year old to use without needing my help.
My oldest also has a DS that he loves. It's very small and easy to pack into a case with several games. You can buy some games for relatively cheap.

Assuming you are Amazon Prime member:
Prices as of 11/20/17

All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablet, 7" Display, 16 GB, Blue Kid-Proof Case on sale now, Black Friday price $69.99. $30 off.

All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition Tablet, 8" HD Display, 32 GB, Blue Kid-Proof Case on sale now, Black Friday price $89.99 $40 off (best product for price in my opinion). Can also use no interest payment plan $18/month for 5 months.

I have a Samsung tablet and love it. I have a library app that I borrow my books from. There are good deals this week on them, most $100 off. You can find a nice basic tablet for $99.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter