Crockpot recipes

jajuan

Mouseketeer<br><font color="blue">My kids want me
I am looking for some easy crockpot recipies. I have the southern living crockpot cookbook, but I need more simplicity. Not much to think about. I found a few on here and thought I would find out if anyone had a good cookbook or some great suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hi

What I have been doing lately is getting a 4-5 lb boneless porkbutt and cutting that in half. I put some babq sauce in my crock pot just maybe a 1/4 of a cup. Then an onion sliced thin. Half the pork butt, more sauce then the other half of butt then the rest of sauce. Cover and cook on low all day when you get home, take lid off, turn to high and allow sauce to cook down a little. The pork will just crumble like pulled pork. Great over rice or open faced on bread.

I'm not sure you'd consider this simple. The only work is in measuring all the spices, but oh my is it good! :teeth:

Drip Beef Sandwich

3-4 lb roast
2 c water
4 beef bouillon cubes or
4 tsp instant bouillon
3 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbl oregano
2 Tbl seasoning salt
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cardamom
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
to taste Kitchen Bouquet
a few drops of Liquid Smoke

Put roast, water and all spices in crock pot and cook all night. Remove roast and pour juices in a bowl. Put the bowl in freezer until fat hardens. Remove fat by skimming off the top.

Pour juices back in the crock pot. Shred roast and put back in crock pot. Cook on low until ready to serve.

It's really good on french rolls and a bowl of Au Jus.

And for this one do NOT ust chicken pieces with the bones in! They tend to almost disintegrate & you end up not being able to use the juice.

Five Flavors Chicken - Crock Pot
3 - 4 lb chicken, boneless
2 cloves garlic
½ c honey
1½ tsp ginger, ground
½ c soy sauce
3 Tbl sherry
½ c crushed pineapple with juice (opt)
2 Tbl cornstarch
Mix garlic, honey, ginger, soy & sherry. (Can substitute orange or cranberry juice.) Dip chicken into mixture. Place chicken in crock. Mix pineapple with sauce & pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours. Remove chicken. Blend cornstarch into juice; cook to thicken.

I have a couple favorites here for you.

Chicken and Rice

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup or cheddar coup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 large chicken breast
1/2 cup diced celery (sometimes I don't use this)
1 cup Minute Rice

Mix soups in crock pot with rice. Places chicken on top of the mixture then celery, if using. Cook for 3 - 4 hours on high, 6 hours on low.

To make recipe stretch to 6 breasts add 1 1/2 cups rice.

Italian Chicken

4 - 6 chicken breasts
1 small bottle Wishbone Zesty Italian Dressing

Pour a little dressing on bottom of crock pot add chicken breasts and pour remaining dressing over chicken. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.

Oh my they all look so good.

Beef & Brew

1 1/2 lbs. stew beef
3 to 4 tbsp. flour
Salt & pepper to taste
1 can beer (12oz)
1 pkg. regular or beefy onion soup mix
1 pkg. brown gravy mix

Cube stew beef. Dredge in flour, salt and pepper. Brown the meat. In Crock Pot, mix beer, soup mix and gravy mix. Add meat. Simmer on low 8 to 10 hours. Serve over noodles or potatoes.

Pot Roast

Throw carrots, celery and onion in bottom of crock pot. Put 5-6 lb. pot roast meat (your choice of cut) on top, fat side up. Mix one packet of onion soup mix with one half can beef consume and pour over top of meat. Cook on low 10-12 hours. (By cooking it slow, it doesn't shrink much.) You can also throw in small potatos with 2-3 hours left.

BBQ Chicken

Put cleaned chicken in crock pot. Cover with bbq sauce of your choice. Cook on low 10 hours. Literally falls off the bone.

I cooked lasagna in my crock pot last month and it was so easy and simple and it tasted very good. I love the whole idea of the fix it and forget it thing. I just made the sauce and layered it with no-boil noodles and cottage cheese mozzarella chees, cooked it about 5 hours.

Chili is also very good in a crock pot, it tastes very different when it has had the chance to cook all day....it is very good that way.

Kim

I want to hear more about the lasagna in the crockpot. I had heard of this before, but wasn't sure how to do it. Do you put meat in it? Cooked first? I need step by step directions or I'll probably have a crockpot full of mess.

The other recipes sound good too. I've only used my pot a few times, but we seem to be getting busier in the evenings and it sure would be nice to have a meal ready. With Christmas coming, its only going to get worse, so keep those recipes coming.

The lasagna in the crockpot sound wonderful. How big is the crockpot that you use? Mine is round and not all that big on the inside.

You guys are great. Keep them coming. My husband will love you forever...lol.

Here's another favorite at our house...it sounds labor intensive but it really isn't and it is so good. I was skeptical the first time I made it but the family chowed it down and ask for it often.

CROCKPOT OOEY GOOEY MEXICAN CHICKEN

2 or 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can low fat cream of mushroom soup
1 can low fat cream of chicken soup
1/2 can water
1 cup salsa
1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 4oz. can diced green chilis
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded low fat Montery Jack cheese

In the crockpot wisk together the soups, water and spices. Stir in the salsa, beans and green chilis. Place the chicken breasts into the mixture. Cook on low 6 hours. Shred the chicken and stir in the cheese. Let cook another 30 minutes until cheese has melted and warmed through. Serve with warm low fat flour tortillas and shredded lettuce. Roll up like a burrito, or serve over chips as nachos. Our favorite way to eat it is in tortilla bowls as a "taco" salad with all of the fixings. And we have used it as a dip with those cupped tortilla chips or large fritos.

This recipe freezes great!!

When I cooked the lasagna in the crock pot, first you have to cook the ground beef and sort of make the sauce, but I just used Ragu so it wasn't much prep, I have a big sort of oval type crock pot, so first layer sauce, top with no boil lasagna noodles, you will probably have to break them up so they fit all the way across, it really doesn't matter if they get all broke up or overlap because they all cook together, then top noodles with another layer of sauce then mozz cheese, parm cheese, cottage cheese, I put cream cheese in mine, it makes it taste really good, however in the crock pot the pieces of cream cheese didn't really melt all that well, does better in the oven for the cream cheese version, but anyhow you just layer it as you normally would for the oven version, top with cheese, though, don't add the cheese on top until you are almost ready to eat it, if you add it at the beginning the top cheese layer will become hard and rubbery. Also, if you normally put a layer of cottage and or ricotta cheese with egg mixture, I would skip the egg for this version.

Another thing to remeber when crock pot cooking, you always have to cook any ground meats, never add them raw.
Kim

Kim - Thanks for the lasagna directions. I'll definitely be trying that one.

The ooey gooey mexican chicken sounds really yummy too.

Now, if I can just find the time to go the store and get all these ingredients I'll be ready to go.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Here's another favorite at our house...it sounds labor intensive but it really isn't and it is so good. I was skeptical the first time I made it but the family chowed it down and ask for it often.

CROCKPOT OOEY GOOEY MEXICAN CHICKEN

2 or 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can low fat cream of mushroom soup
1 can low fat cream of chicken soup
1/2 can water
1 cup salsa
1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 4oz. can diced green chilis
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded low fat Montery Jack cheese

In the crockpot wisk together the soups, water and spices. Stir in the salsa, beans and green chilis. Place the chicken breasts into the mixture. Cook on low 6 hours. Shred the chicken and stir in the cheese. Let cook another 30 minutes until cheese has melted and warmed through. Serve with warm low fat flour tortillas and shredded lettuce. Roll up like a burrito, or serve over chips as nachos. Our favorite way to eat it is in tortilla bowls as a "taco" salad with all of the fixings. And we have used it as a dip with those cupped tortilla chips or large fritos.

This recipe freezes great!!

I made this for dinner tonight. It was really tasty. But, it came out all soupy. I don't see how you can serve it with flour tortillas, which was my plan. We just ate it as Chicken tortilla soup. I will say that this tastes just like the tortilla soup and Max & Erma's - which I LOVE.

Maggie

The ooey gooey mexican chicken sounds yummy. I can't wait to try that.

One thing I tried the other day was baking in my crock pot. I made a pineapple upsidedown cake that got rave reviews from my co-workers.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter