Credit for Skipping Housekeeping

I wish I could "like" this a thousand times. Locking up my valuables every morning is a small price to pay for these "luxuries" that are typically MY responsibility at home.

I know it's a mental thing - I mean, what they do should take all of 5 - 10 minutes, and it is stuff my husband/kids do each day without fail. But, going on vacation, to me, is about doing all the things "easy". No chores, no cooking, no driving, no reality.

Does anyone know if any of the deluxe resorts are doing this incentive? I never use house keeping and it would be nice to get a gift card.

I really worry abut this. The disincentive to housekeeping staff, the more erratic nature of employment, the higher replacement rate of soft furnishings and other things, the knock on cost of such, increased risk of infestation, a whole raft of employment problems.

I see individual good but a cost to the collective. Housekeeping is part of the running cost of a hotel, thus part of what I pay for. Gift carding for this turns housekeeping into a separated cost, and I really don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

Last edited:
I know it's a mental thing - I mean, what they do should take all of 5 - 10 minutes, and it is stuff my husband/kids do each day without fail. But, going on vacation, to me, is about doing all the things "easy". No chores, no cooking, no driving, no reality.

Exactly.

We eat breakfast in our room. So, there are wrappers, bottles, plastic knives, etc. I want someone else to take care of it.

But don't you throw all that into the garbage anyway? Or do you leave the mess on the table for housekeeping to clean?

Oh. Hahaha. I wasn't sure. Sorry.

No worries :) I am a neat freak, but man, having someone else handle that issue for me for week is what I feel is living large ;)

One more question - what "valuables" are people worried about people coming in and thiefing? My "valuables" would be my rings, which are on my fingers, and my phone, which is in my backsack. Just curious as to what others travel with that makes them nervous. I can't think of a single thing that stays in my room that I would be nervous or afraid of someone else taking.

For me it is not thieving, I just don't like people in my room. My DH usually has a laptop and I usually have an iPad which can go in the safe.

I feel the same way, I always skip housekeeping on my solo trips and will be very happy if they pay me to do so in September! I'm not especially worried about theft, just don't want housekeeping in there. I confess to a slight paranoia re any hotel's cleaning services. I disinfect the bathroom, TV remote etc when I arrive and am more comfortable without housekeeping.

As far as the trash goes-I always seem to have plastic shopping bags with me. I put anything that might attract bugs into a bag and pitch it in a resort garbage can on my way out.

To be fair, I've passed my germophobia down and it's not always pretty. Poor DD's honeymoon luggage was lost for two days. The culprit-a bottle of bleach crystals for the jacuzzi. Also, DH is definitely not a neat freak-when he's along we do have housekeeping every few days.

Last edited:
No worries :) I am a neat freak, but man, having someone else handle that issue for me for week is what I feel is living large ;)

One more question - what "valuables" are people worried about people coming in and thiefing? My "valuables" would be my rings, which are on my fingers, and my phone, which is in my backsack. Just curious as to what others travel with that makes them nervous. I can't think of a single thing that stays in my room that I would be nervous or afraid of someone else taking.

For us, the valuables we keep locked up are:
1. The laptop

2. Our wallets. We leave most of our credit cards and stuff at home, but we always travel with at least 2 different credit cards and about $200 in cash. We only carry ID, the Disney Visa card, and a little cash to the parks. The remaining cash & credit cards stay in our wallets in the safe.

3. Any jewelry I'm not wearing. I don't usually bring extra jewelry but sometimes my fingers swell from the heat so I'll take my rings off and leave them in the safe on really hot days.

4. All of our mousekeeping tip envelopes as they're already loaded with cash.

5. If there's room, I'll put my purse in there, too. I usually carry a D&B Disney purse for my every-day purse but I only take a tiny cell phone cross-body pouch to the parks. If my purse doesn't fit in the safe, I just keep it in a piece of luggage. I don't really have anything of value in the purse, so I'm not overly concerned about it, but I don't want to make it easy to just pick up and walk out of the room with it.

Most of these things just "live" in the safe, but we do need to get things out of the safe every day so we need to remember to close it up before we leave the room in the morning. I forgot to close it one morning a few years ago -- and of course it was a day that I had left my rings in it. I knew there was over $15,000 worth of "valuables" in the safe that day and went into a complete panic at lunch when I realized that I had left the safe standing wide open. At that point, I knew it was probably too late to go back and close it -- mousekeeping had probably already been in our room. I was very happy to get back to the room that night and see that nothing had been touched in the safe. Now I check the safe 10 times before we leave the room. :D

For us, the valuables we keep locked up are:
1. The laptop

2. Our wallets. We leave most of our credit cards and stuff at home, but we always travel with at least 2 different credit cards and about $200 in cash. We only carry ID, the Disney Visa card, and a little cash to the parks. The remaining cash & credit cards stay in our wallets in the safe.

3. Any jewelry I'm not wearing. I don't usually bring extra jewelry but sometimes my fingers swell from the heat so I'll take my rings off and leave them in the safe on really hot days.

4. All of our mousekeeping tip envelopes as they're already loaded with cash.

5. If there's room, I'll put my purse in there, too. I usually carry a D&B Disney purse for my every-day purse but I only take a tiny cell phone cross-body pouch to the parks. If my purse doesn't fit in the safe, I just keep it in a piece of luggage. I don't really have anything of value in the purse, so I'm not overly concerned about it, but I don't want to make it easy to just pick up and walk out of the room with it.

Most of these things just "live" in the safe, but we do need to get things out of the safe every day so we need to remember to close it up before we leave the room in the morning. I forgot to close it one morning a few years ago -- and of course it was a day that I had left my rings in it. I knew there was over $15,000 worth of "valuables" in the safe that day and went into a complete panic at lunch when I realized that I had left the safe standing wide open. At that point, I knew it was probably too late to go back and close it -- mousekeeping had probably already been in our room. I was very happy to get back to the room that night and see that nothing had been touched in the safe. Now I check the safe 10 times before we leave the room. :D

Thanks!! We don't bring our laptop anymore (did when we were both in college at the same time!), and you are correct, we leave one credit card and our cash/tip envelopes in the safe. I have never worn my rings on a vacation; this will be the first time. But, I can see my fingers swelling and needing to lock them up.

Even still, with everything in the safe, I would not have any concerns about people snooping in my room. If they REALLY want my dirty underwear and my Cheezits, they are welcome to it!

However, I have been told by many, many people that I am way too laid back about some things...this might be one of them?!

Thanks!! We don't bring our laptop anymore (did when we were both in college at the same time!), and you are correct, we leave one credit card and our cash/tip envelopes in the safe. I have never worn my rings on a vacation; this will be the first time. But, I can see my fingers swelling and needing to lock them up.

Even still, with everything in the safe, I would not have any concerns about people snooping in my room. If they REALLY want my dirty underwear and my Cheezits, they are welcome to it!

However, I have been told by many, many people that I am way too laid back about some things...this might be one of them?!

That's how I feel...if they want my clothing or shoes or bathroom stuff or snacks, have at it. It can all be replaced easily. I'm not going to leave the "expensive" stuff out and make it easy for someone to take it, but I don't mind allowing someone to come in and clean my room while I'm gone.

Does the Disney giftcard include food/drink purchases, or just Disney merchandise (shirts, toys, etc.)

For the resort mug that offers free refills alone I'd take the offer if I could use my Disney gift card to purchase one.

Does the Disney giftcard include food/drink purchases, or just Disney merchandise (shirts, toys, etc.)

For the resort mug that offers free refills alone I'd take the offer if I could use my Disney gift card to purchase one.
Sorry you haven't received an answer yet. From what I know gift cards are accepted for payment for everything, including food and drink, and even toward your resort bill.

I typically love housekeeping, but this trip I am considering skipping it. Since we are getting married on this trip we'll have my dress and his suit. I wouldn't expect a housekeeper to do anything on purpose, but accidents can happen and I already have to watch out for my fiance's accidents.

If there is a gift card... Great! If not, great! I am not worried.

Sorry you haven't received an answer yet. From what I know gift cards are accepted for payment for everything, including food and drink, and even toward your resort bill.
Thank you. I imagine the trial run will be over when I go in three weeks at Movie Resort but I will ask and see if I have any luck.

I didn't know about this.

For the money though I'd keep housekeeping, particularly as our trips are 2 weeks long. I always leave the room tidy and make the beds before we go out but it isn't the same as the perfect turn down service we get when we're back!

My friend had some items stolen from his room in ASMu a few years ago - it later transpired that one particular housekeeper had stolen numerous times and ended up in jail from what I read in the news! But still, one bad egg doesn't put me off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter