Could you do Kona Cafe for 7:30 breakfast and make it to MK for rope drop?

kniquy

DIS Veteran
We will be staying at the Poly for the first part of our trip. We loved Kona for dinner and have heard breakfast is good too. We would like to do Kona for a 730am breakfast, but would like to make it to MK for rope drop or close to it (don't necessarily have to see opening show that morning) is this a reasonable plan if the park opens at 9am that particular day?

It seems like we should be able to but i don't know how packed the monorails get around 8:30 in the morning.

Lots of variables (which is why I always assume that things take 25%-50% longer at WDW than logical pre-planning says they should.)
Working backwards, you want to be at the entrance no later than 8:45. (They have been known to open the park earlier than the stated time). So you want to be entering the bag check area by 8:30. So you want to be getting off the monorail by 8:20. So you want to board the monorail by 8:05. So you want to be leaving the restaurant by 7:55. Can you eat breakfast in 25 minutes? If you don't care about being in the entrance area by 8:45 and instead are considering RD to be any time prior to 8:59, you can bump all these times by 14 minutes which would give you 39 minutes to get seated and eat. All doable. But not a sure thing.

We will be staying at the Poly for the first part of our trip. We loved Kona for dinner and have heard breakfast is good too. We would like to do Kona for a 730am breakfast, but would like to make it to MK for rope drop or close to it (don't necessarily have to see opening show that morning) is this a reasonable plan if the park opens at 9am that particular day?

It seems like we should be able to but i don't know how packed the monorails get around 8:30 in the morning.

I think you'll at least be close to rope drop, but I'd be at Kona as early as you can and pay the check as soon as you've ordered, so you can get up and leave when you're ready.

Working backwards, you want to be at the entrance no later than 8:45. (They have been known to open the park earlier than the stated time).

I think you need to brush up on your opening procedures. MK opens and lets everyone on Main St by at least 8:00 a.m. on a 9:00 a.m. opening day. This significantly decreases the security and turnstile lines at 9:00.

Lots of variables (which is why I always assume that things take 25%-50% longer at WDW than logical pre-planning says they should.)
Working backwards, you want to be at the entrance no later than 8:45. (They have been known to open the park earlier than the stated time). So you want to be entering the bag check area by 8:30. So you want to be getting off the monorail by 8:20. So you want to board the monorail by 8:05. So you want to be leaving the restaurant by 7:55. Can you eat breakfast in 25 minutes? If you don't care about being in the entrance area by 8:45 and instead are considering RD to be any time prior to 8:59, you can bump all these times by 14 minutes which would give you 39 minutes to get seated and eat. All doable. But not a sure thing.

This is incredibly outdated information and isn't applicable anymore. With a 9:00 am park opening, everyone is let onto Main St. starting at 8:00 am. Also, there is no bag check area directly at the MK entrance anymore Those arriving by monorail from the resorts will go through bag check prior to boarding the monorail.

OP, if you are heading out of Kona to the monorail (which is virtually right next to the restaurant) by 8:30 am, your chances of tapping your MB at the MK entrance by 9:00 am is very good. Obviously, those in the hub prior to you will have a jump start on the rides, but you should have no problem entering MK by RD.

I think you need to brush up on your opening procedures. MK opens and lets everyone on Main St by at least 8:00 a.m. on a 9:00 a.m. opening day. This significantly decreases the security and turnstile lines at 9:00.
I know that, and nothing that I posted contradicts that. I said that they want to be at the entrance by 8:45. I didn't say that they would be stuck at the entrance once they got there. The OP said that they didn't care about seeing the opening show. Being at the entrance by 8:45 allows them to be in the park by 9:00 when the park fully opens and also allows them to be in the park by 8:45 on the chance that the park opens at 8:45. Had they wanted to see the show, I would have accounted for that. But anyone who wants to be in the park by the time it opens need only be at the entrance by 8:45. That remains the case.

I know that, and nothing that I posted contradicts that. I said that they want to be at the entrance by 8:45. I didn't say that they would be stuck at the entrance once they got there. The OP said that they didn't care about seeing the opening show. Being at the entrance by 8:45 allows them to be in the park by 9:00 when the park fully opens and also allows them to be in the park by 8:45 on the chance that the park opens at 8:45. Had they wanted to see the show, I would have accounted for that. But anyone who wants to be in the park by the time it opens need only be at the entrance by 8:45. That remains the case.

Being at the entrance of MK at 8:45 means they will be inside MK at 8:46 since they won't have to go through security at all. Also MK will NOT do the rope drop into the various lands before 9:00 a.m. There is no "sometimes they open early" at MK anymore. That's why we thought your post outdated.

The rush at Poly bag check starts around 0830, and at it's peak, the max wait time is about 8 minutes. Don't stand outside and wait for the train. Get in the line and move through the process. You should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!