Contemporary - Elevator shaft art

This is becoming an issue for me :upsidedow .... I'm not really sure why I care so much about the mural but if it's gone I guess I wouldn't really feel the same way about the Contemporary. It's one of its last original features (and it still is in great condition) and if it were gone I guess I'd just feel like some kind of "era" is gone, too.

It's obviously not too much of a problem for Disney to rid the resort (at the sake of destroying the art) like they did in DL, but in my opinion I think they should spend their money elsewhere first on something like the pool area or interior corridors.

I like the ideas on the boards so far. I wonder if they could recreate the tiles by laser cutting them into glass (like a clear or slightly tinted stained glass concept) and then there'd be the mural, and the glass elevator shaft... I know that's really weird, but It'd be nice to not just "throw it away". Some of the contemporary's old artwork and decor is running for thousands of dollars on Ebay and whatnot!

I'm also sure that a lot of people confuse the 4th floor concourse with the lobby.
The 1st time my family and I stayed at the Contemporary in May 1998 I assumed the 4th floor was the lobby, because every thing I read about it always mentioned the 4th floor since that is where all the restaurants and stores were.

I like the ideas on the boards so far. I wonder if they could recreate the tiles by laser cutting them into glass (like a clear or slightly tinted stained glass concept) and then there'd be the mural, and the glass elevator shaft... I know that's really weird, but It'd be nice to not just "throw it away". Some of the contemporary's old artwork and decor is running for thousands of dollars on Ebay and whatnot!

That is an amazing idea! I really like it rather than doing away with the mural all together. :thumbsup2

CR is the first place we stayed way back in the early 70's & still my favorite to this day, so I'm going with keep the mural.

Also-my kids would miss the 5 legged goat!

I love retro and only like about 50% of whatever Disney designs these days, so I'd be a bit sad to see Blair's art go, and more than a little scared of what might go up in its place. (I'm a Contemporary guest since way back, but I don't THINK my feelings are due to nostalgia.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter