Considering RC for our next cruise...

TandLMommy28

DIS Veteran
We've done DCL and absolutely loved it. However, we did it for our anniversary so it was just the two of us. Add three kids and the price makes me kinda queasy. Royal Caribbean is seemingly more affordable, although I know there are some things Disney includes that others don't. I still think the savings of over $2500 on a four night cruise is more than worth it.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I really don't have any idea what I'm getting into. I'm thinking next fall, maybe October or maybe even Thanksgiving. What do I need to know? Thanks!

You can probably do a 7 night cruise on Royal Caribbean for the price of a 4 night on Disney! Look for the ships that include the Dreamworks experience, a they have the characters onboard. The Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class of ships all have parades, and some have water parks - Harmony even has slides. If you're not sure on the dates, I'd suggest the first 2 weeks in December - if you can pull your kids out of school. Prices are low, the ships are decorated for Christmas, and the weather is usually great.

Oh, you didn't mention the ages of your kids. But one thing to be aware of is that the kids clubs aren't open continuously like they are on Disney. Be sure to check the exact times. I believe that Carnival has kids clubs that are open straight through. And they have a Dr Suess program onboard.

You can probably do a 7 night cruise on Royal Caribbean for the price of a 4 night on Disney! Look for the ships that include the Dreamworks experience, a they have the characters onboard. The Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class of ships all have parades, and some have water parks - Harmony even has slides. If you're not sure on the dates, I'd suggest the first 2 weeks in December - if you can pull your kids out of school. Prices are low, the ships are decorated for Christmas, and the weather is usually great.

Oh, you didn't mention the ages of your kids. But one thing to be aware of is that the kids clubs aren't open continuously like they are on Disney. Be sure to check the exact times. I believe that Carnival has kids clubs that are open straight through. And they have a Dr Suess program onboard.

Thank you! Our kids will be 13, 11, and 5 on the trip (if we do it). We home school and one of the perks is taking vacations whenever it suits us. :) I'm going to do more research on the kids clubs. I don't need them open all the time but I think the kids would enjoy having some time at them. :)

Thank you! Our kids will be 13, 11, and 5 on the trip (if we do it). We home school and one of the perks is taking vacations whenever it suits us. :) I'm going to do more research on the kids clubs. I don't need them open all the time but I think the kids would enjoy having some time at them. :)

Oh they will have a blast!

At those ages each of them will be in separate programming on Royal. And that's ok! You'll have plenty of time for family time.

Imo the only thing Disney throws in that you don't get on Royal is soda. If soda is important, you can get that for well under $2500. :)

Others would mention the shows, but I never do because I cannot abide the shows I've seen on Disney. Someday my kid will have a dance job on a cruiseline and I'll have to see him in it, but until such time I'm avoiding it lol.

But the Dreamworks cruises are fun if you do like seeing the occasional furry character.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!