Concerns around DAS

reaganinwonderland

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I want to start by apologizing for this post, I've read all the stickies and a ton of post and generally know that no one here can give me an answer, however I suffer from mildly-severe OCD and I've become obsessive in my worrying about being denied a DAS pass. What I'm mainly looking for is if someone could look over my description on my disabilities and say what they think will happen and/or if they have experience with any of these issues.

My main problem I see coming up is sensory processing issues and claustrophobia. Loud, closed in, and visually stimulating places are my personal torture. They quickly lead to panic attacks and "tantrums"(embarrassing for a 17 y/o but I can't help it). I'm really concerned that I'm going to have an "episode" waiting in line and then I'll be stuck and ruin the whole vacation. I'm aware that a lot of people get DAS for autism, and that's sorta what I have except just the sensory issues.

On top of that, I have a slew of physical disabilities. I know my mobility issues don't qualify for a DAS, I'll be renting a wheelchair, however I do have GI issues and severe fatigue that affect my ability to enjoy the parks. As for GI, I get around ten minutes of warning before I'm going to throw up and it happens several times randomly throughout the day. I'm planning to carry sick bags with me, but once again I'm worried about getting stuck in lines, this time carrying a bag of sick. I'm fairly certain there's nothing that can be done to accommodate my fatigue, but just to add it in, I'll only be able to stay at the park for 4 hours or so.

I'm really hoping that this vacation will go as stress free as possible, I've spent the last year in and out of the hospital, my family really needs the break. I'm just so worried that my health will ruin the trip (like it ruins everything else).

No one here can tell you whether or not you will receive a DAS, but the key is to tell Guest Services why it is difficult for you to wait in the actual line. They aren't looking at diagnosis, they're looking at need.

One word of warning, even if you do receive a DAS - you need to plan what you will do if you feel sickness coming on while you are on a ride, a few of which are longer than 10 minutes.

And you are correct, there is no accommodation for only being able to stay in the parks for a few hours.

As OurBigTrip said no one can tell you if you will be given a DAS or not.

I really wold plane your trip as if there was no such thing as a DAS card or anything to help with the lines, Why I say this is that yes the DAS is nice but there will still be lines ( to get to the parks, before the park opens, meals, charters Extra) what are things you can do to help with those issues if sound bothers you bring ear plugs, if visual stimulation is hard on you sunglasses or a light weight hoodie ( or even one of those cooling towels.)

when you go to GR think about what kinds of problems you have in line and if a wheel chair or ECV can help with the problem then do not talk about it.

I find that if I have a back up plane incase I do not get a DAS then I really do have a much better trip. I tend to take things slow if I need to rest then I will if I need to get out of line I do, if I need to have a melt down and cry I do ( and I have had some very big ones at Disney that I wish did not happen,) but oh well nothing really bad happened, I cried uncontrollable and a CM came up to me and gave me a Micky bar saying I am sorry you are not having a good time but I wanted you to have this. another time the CM took me out of line and back stage where I was able to site and regroup and then get back in line to do what I was going to. life goes on and people ( I will not say my age but I am much older then you) have melt down even people with out Disabilities Disney is so crowded hot and people pay thousands of dollar to go and you know what people melt down. So if you have an episode in line get out of line do what every you need to do ( as long as you are not hurting your self or others) and then go on with your day

one thing you can do about your fatige is go to the park at RD plane your 3 FP for about an hour after park opens and then head back to your hotel to rest swim do what ever and then maybe head back for the evening show ( fire works illumination fantastic river of light ) and maybe add in a ride or two, or take a very late morning and head to the parks after lunch and see the parade at the MK but do not push your self if 4 hours is your limit them that is when you need to stop and go rest.

have a great trip

If you start having trouble in line, just holler for a CM. Even where it looks like the line is endless, they can always get you out!
Do you have the bags with the ring tops? You can carry those and some heavy duty freezer bags to double bag if necessary, and then hide it in a small carryall. Maybe one that folds up small enough to fit into whatever other park bag you carry. That might help with embarrassment and disposal.

My son gets the card. He is autistic but like you mentioned, the trouble with queues is the sensory overload. He has a really hard time in interactive lines or the ones that are super visual, like Andy's toys at TSMM. He says in his stroller/wheelchair with the canopy down to keep his personal bubble intact. We give him his kindle in the worst lines to help keep his attention focused on something he likes. The trouble with that is that if he retreats too far "inside himself", it's hard to pull him back out.
You might try a hat with a wide brim to help cut out some of the visual stimuli. You can also search you tube for videos of people going through the queues. That will give you an idea of what you're up against and maybe spark some ideas to cut down on episodes. Have your daughter or traveling partners watch, too, and let them know what you think will be the most difficult so they can watch for triggers.

The DAS actually makes the overall wait time longer because you have to wait the stand by time to return, then you have to get in the FP line which can still have a wait. So we are really strategic in our planning, we try to map out day in advance and mark the lines we know we need to get through as fast as possible. And we get those return times ASAP. There are plenty of rides that we don't bother getting a return time - tea cups, small world, Pooh if the wait time is low enough that we can breeze past the interactive stations. And there are some rides, like TSMM, that we always get the time for because we're trying to skip as much of the visual stuff as possible.

I know it's super annoying when someone says to try not to stress about something. I just can't think of better words to use. The more you prepare, the easier it will be for you.

The guys are right no one can say for certain if you will get a card or not.

Although I would suggest that you write down all the reason, so when you're explain to GR they have the full picture.

Or even take someone with you who can help you explain and chip in if you miss anything.

Lastly I really hope you have a fabulous trip whatever happens :thumbsup2

Hi everyone! I want to start by apologizing for this post, I've read all the stickies and a ton of post and generally know that no one here can give me an answer, however I suffer from mildly-severe OCD and I've become obsessive in my worrying about being denied a DAS pass. What I'm mainly looking for is if someone could look over my description on my disabilities and say what they think will happen and/or if they have experience with any of these issues.

My main problem I see coming up is sensory processing issues and claustrophobia. Loud, closed in, and visually stimulating places are my personal torture. They quickly lead to panic attacks and "tantrums"(embarrassing for a 17 y/o but I can't help it). I'm really concerned that I'm going to have an "episode" waiting in line and then I'll be stuck and ruin the whole vacation. I'm aware that a lot of people get DAS for autism, and that's sorta what I have except just the sensory issues.

On top of that, I have a slew of physical disabilities. I know my mobility issues don't qualify for a DAS, I'll be renting a wheelchair, however I do have GI issues and severe fatigue that affect my ability to enjoy the parks. As for GI, I get around ten minutes of warning before I'm going to throw up and it happens several times randomly throughout the day. I'm planning to carry sick bags with me, but once again I'm worried about getting stuck in lines, this time carrying a bag of sick. I'm fairly certain there's nothing that can be done to accommodate my fatigue, but just to add it in, I'll only be able to stay at the park for 4 hours or so.

I'm really hoping that this vacation will go as stress free as possible, I've spent the last year in and out of the hospital, my family really needs the break. I'm just so worried that my health will ruin the trip (like it ruins everything else).

As a mom of a teen with challenges who also worries that he "ruins" everything, I just want to send you a big hug and tell you that your family does not think you "ruin" everything. :hug: I'm sure they're very much hoping that YOU can enjoy your trip. I also understand about obsessively worrying. First, like someone said, write down everything that you have explained here, so you can read it or show it to someone if you get nervous (or make someone else talk for you). No one wants to make promises, but your non-mobility challenges seem to fit into the purpose of the DAS. If you're going to the parks for multiple days, there's also no reason why you can't ask again if necessary. Also, if you get to the parks early in the morning, use FP, and enjoy attractions with shorter lines, you may not need the DAS much, if at all. Research fastpasses and plan to take full advantage. Second, believe me, you will not stand out if you "tantrum" and it will not ruin the vacation. Disney can be overstimulating for everyone and many adults put way too much stress on themselves to make their trips perfect, so adults losing their cool is extremely common. I yelled at my mom because she wanted to leave before the fireworks were over. Finally, after all of your health challenges, I'm betting your family will just be very happy to be at Disney with you. I always cry when I enter the parks for the first time. The magic isn't about how many rides you get to or whether everything goes perfectly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter