Compost Bin -- Who has one?

DisneyWalle

DIS Veteran
I have seen plans on facebook and several websites for a homemade compost bin constructed with pallets. Last week, we picked up 6 pallets for me to play with. The bin is constructed with three sides leaving one side open allowing for fork turning. The pallets easily allow for adequate airflow for good composting.

Trying to decide where to place it. Should it go near the garden or should it go further away from the garden? Do I need to worry about scavangers "playing in it"? I have all kinds of welcome and unwelcome critters some of which are: raccoons, possum, armadillos, fox, coyotes, eastern diamondback rattlesnakes and timber rattlers. If I put it near the garden will it encourage these critters to spend time in the garden?

Does anyone else maintain either a homemade or store-bought composting bin? Do you enjoy it or does it cause problems that have made you unhappy?

I have a rather large vertical hopper plus two spinning ones and got lazy with all of them and now weeds grow really well in the fenced in hopper. I always ended up with more supply than I could keep up with or more green vs. brown or brown vs. green and flipping it was more work than I was prepared for.

I want to rip them all down and put in a pool.

We have a store bought one. When we had gotten it we went to a composting bin class. We had set up the bin in our garden and had used it at the start but now i just dont use it. Dont know what type of surprises might be in there.

Hmmm, neither one of you still use your compost bins. Makes me think its a good idea to work with the pallets instead of buying one. I would hate to invest money in a store bought compost bin then not use it. I picked up several pallets that a business was throwing away so I will use them to form the bin. The only cost will be the posts, a few screws and a hinge.

Hoping that by putting it near the garden which is close to the house, maybe the snakes won't use it. That's my biggest fear, is to put something up that encourages the rattlesnakes to stay close to the house.

We have had a compost bin for years. We spread the years worth ( broken down stuff) over the veggie garden before planting. What we use now is an old garbage can that had holes in the bottom. DH put some addition holes on the sides, removed the whole bottom and we use it upside down.

I finally have a compost bin. My dear hubby built it for me yesterday. So excited to start composting so I have good dirt for next year's garden.

Are the critters staying away? I hope so!

It wasn't as successful as I had hoped. Every little wild critter was "playing" in it. So we torn it down and in the future I will just purchase one when Tractor Supply puts them on sale. Oh well! Trial and error til I find what works.

I need to find a place for a compost bin here in our Cape May house.

We have started a compost bin here in NJ, but it's not going well. We need more brown!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!