Company hosted Potluck - update 12/19

I never said or implied 'inappropriate'.
I had actually mentioned earlier (Family, Friend, Other....) never inappropriate.
But, I will admit to wondering why you seemed to be so defensive/protective of your boss in this situation.
Sorry!!!

Again, let us know a budget.
Initially it was all about cheap inexpensive (free), you cooking the food, employees bringing the food, etc....
So, naturally, the responses you get are going to be based on that.

Let us know your budget!
You really should have gotten that before asking for input. That is a crucial factor.
- why? For actually planning yes. But to ask people what they would expect from such a thing? This actually dictates what the budget should be.
You mentioned about 60 people?
And that Pasta would run about $600.00.
I just have to think that if $10.00pp is a concern... Houston... We have a problem.
I expect to spend close to $1,000 when all is said and done. And after talking to the boss about options he said that would be okay.

He is still stuck on 12/22 and doesn't want to settle on a date until after the 1st of December. We will have department managers talk to their employees to find out which date would work. I am still pushing for either the 15th or the last production day of that week, the production crew doesn't work 5-days, so it could be a Wednesday or Thursday.

The bosses reason for having this get together is to say thank you for sticking by us during the hard times. There is no way to do it during the day, during working hours. After work hours is the only feasible time. I get that having the Friday before what is a four day weekend for us is not ideal. And I will bring this up to him again when we finalize things.

Okay, I have read the entire thread and I am going to say this as gently as possible. This is not a "thank you." This is an employee subsidized party and given the reasoning of your boss, and the date, and the whole pot luck thing, it will likely result in having the opposite effect. If my employer cannot give up an hour of work time to provide a thank you meal, insists on the Friday after work before a major Holiday, and then expects me to bring food.....I am not going to be looking at it as a gift. No. And while it is easy to say " we are fine if you choose not to attend" many will not feel okay with this.

I am afraid any good will your employer thinks he may generate will actually be a good deal of resentment.

As funny as it might sound we don't have an Italian place in town. Lots of Mexican, Chinese & Pizza. But now that I think of it one of the Pizza places does do pasta so maybe I will look into them.

Sandwiches just seem to "lunch" to me. I already know we can do that for less than $10 per person including all sides & dessert. I have done that for lunch meetings a lot.

Here is what I would propose, and what has actually been done at one of my previous employers. We were a 24/7 call center, so there was no good time to have a holiday party for all to enjoy. What we would do for may occasions was to order pizza or sandwich platters, and provide beverages to offer a free lunch for our employees.

You could do the same: Tell your employees that the boss wants to offer a little thank you for their loyalty during the difficult times that the company experienced, so in order to make the last day before the holiday break more festive, luncheon will be offered in the break room. Pizza and beverages, or sandwiches and soda, whatever is affordable, and since the meal is for your employees alone, the cost will be reduced exponentially. Toss in a sheet cake from Costco and you are done. I would add an additional 15 minutes to the meal break and call it a day.

There is no way I would open the door for the headaches you are bound to be saddled with if you follow through with the bosses plan. This is not about the choice of meal, how your spaghetti will taste,the differences between BBQ, or the addition of having the gathering after normal work hours. The issue is that with the boss's proposal, no consideration was made for the employees he has decided to thank, and that is the insult to them. Once you (the boss) has made it clear that the party is for his benefit and not the employees, the notion of their personal value dissipates. Messy.

If the boss wants to "allow" a company party, you could look at options for next year. My husband used to be an organizer for holiday parties at his workplace. He and a coworker would book a venue, price out a meal and dancing, etc and sell tickets. WE always had a blast, had a large turnout, and there was never any confusion in regards to whose event it was. This was an employee sponsored event that was organized by employees. The management would kick in money to mitigate the expense, and always would attend, but they did not pretend to host.

Okay, I have read the entire thread and I am going to say this as gently as possible.
Obviously you haven't read the entire thread because if you had you would have seen that I proposed options to the boss and got it okay'd to bring in food.

Do you have a Panda Express by you? I know it’s not the best, but they do affordable catering. I think for between $150-$190 you can feed 30 people (it includes a few entrees and some sides). We did it for our teacher/staff luncheon last year and we were able to feed 70 for under $500. Just an idea.

I would definitely try to get a head count. I wouldn’t be surprised if some will resent the invitation. I think most people will either have other plans already, or can’t give up a few precious hours they need to finish up shopping, wrapping, baking, etc. for a company Christmas party, which tends to be a little low on the importance scale. Some will feel obligated to go, because it’s work. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that he’s insisting on that particular date, which is right up there with New Years Eve., or at least the night before Thanksgiving.

Do you have a Panda Express by you? I know it’s not the best, but they do affordable catering. I think for between $150-$190 you can feed 30 people (it includes a few entrees and some sides). We did it for our teacher/staff luncheon last year and we were able to feed 70 for under $500. Just an idea.
Unfortunately, we don't. Closest one is 45 minutes away.

I would definitely try to get a head count. I wouldn’t be surprised if some will resent the invitation. I think most people will either have other plans already, or can’t give up a few precious hours they need to finish up shopping, wrapping, baking, etc. for a company Christmas party, which tends to be a little low on the importance scale. Some will feel obligated to go, because it’s work. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that he’s insisting on that particular date, which is right up there with New Years Eve., or at least the night before Thanksgiving.
There is going to be a sign up sheet and department managers will poll their employees to see which date works best for planning on coming. He even suggest the 23rd, Saturday. Which I said absolutely NO. He seems to think it should be as close to Christmas as possible. I am not sure why.

Going in I know that at least 1/3 of the employees won't come. They never do.

There is going to be a sign up sheet and department managers will poll their employees to see which date works best for planning on coming. He even suggest the 23rd, Saturday. Which I said absolutely NO. He seems to think it should be as close to Christmas as possible. I am not sure why.

Going in I know that at least 1/3 of the employees won't come. They never do.
Is it possible that he doesn't have anyone that will be celebrating Christmas with him? It could be that this is his Christmas celebration and he wants it as close to the actual date as possible.

Is it possible that he doesn't have anyone that will be celebrating Christmas with him? It could be that this is his Christmas celebration and he wants it as close to the actual date as possible.
As far as I now he doesn't celebrate Christmas at all, he is from India and is not Christian, so this really WILL be his Christmas celebration. ;) But he has a family.

Last edited:
I think your lasagna meal sounds pretty good, and within the cheaper price per person range.

I thought maybe a potluck taco bar idea might work out well because of the minimal prep involved in the bulk of the ingredients. The set up and variety of ingredients allows for a lot of customization. If you found catered meats, rice, and beans, you could have employees sign up for shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, cilantro and green onions, sliced olives, salsa, sour cream, tortillas, taco shells, chips, and any other garnishes you can think of (yum, like roasted fajita vegetables!). Maybe estimate quantities and include that info/expectation on the sign up sheet. If no one signs up for ingredients, it wouldn't be too expensive to cover a few more items at the last minute. The cost of meats, rice and beans may be less than the Italian dinner set up. They sell disposable Sterno catering trays at Walmart that are inexpensive and easy to use, so you can keep things toasty if the Mexican place doesn't provide them.

Plus, tacos are not a traditional holiday meal that people may be tired of, and they go great with beer!

Good luck!

Since this is a thank you to the employees, I would not only ask which date but poll some choices for food. Maybe the taco bar, lasagna, or pot luck. Your group of people might prefer pot luck.

Our campus holiday meal (between Thanksgiving and Christmas) is always pot luck and that's how everyone wants it. The school buys the meat: hams or turkeys usually and everyone brings something. They have tried other stuff and we always go back to pot luck. The sign up sheet is sent around and there are x number of blanks under dips/crackers/chips, veggies, casseroles, etc.

We have another college wide open house that is completely catered but not as many from our campus go to that.

Obviously you haven't read the entire thread because if you had you would have seen that I proposed options to the boss and got it okay'd to bring in food.

I did read the entire thread. I also commented on what I would do given the dynamics you have been discussing. I have no dog in your race, but I stand by my comment that I would not consider a pot luck a thank you. Once an employee is asked to bring a bag of chips in to supplement a menu then the party changes from Thank you, to lets all pitch in.

As far as I now he doesn't celebrate Christmas at all, he is not from India and is not Christian, so this really WILL be his Christmas celebration. ;) But he has a family.

And the cultural difference in your boss is probably the reason for so many difficulties. My boss is also of a different culture (not American) and I have to explain things to him and break through his pre conceived ideas to help him understand how Americans think and respond. Not always easy! But I have learned how to speak to him and others will come to me to get my input on how to approach him on certain things.

Maybe you could postpone the "Thank You" party to January...

And the cultural difference in your boss is probably the reason for so many difficulties. My boss is also of a different culture (not American) and I have to explain things to him and break through his pre conceived ideas to help him understand how Americans think and respond. Not always easy! But I have learned how to speak to him and others will come to me to get my input on how to approach him on certain things.

Maybe you could postpone the "Thank You" party to January...
I think this might be the problem! He might not realize that expecting people to come to an office Christmas party the Friday before Christmas is unreasonable, and is unappreciated. I’m sure his intentions are good, but might need a little guidance.

Since this is a thank you to the employees, I would not only ask which date but poll some choices for food. Maybe the taco bar, lasagna, or pot luck. Your group of people might prefer pot luck.

We are pretty much settled on the lasagna/pasta idea. It is the most economical option and they will deliver it to us, so it is not getting cold waiting for people to arrive. I did think about seeing if we should ask what they crew would like as their are various options - spaghetti, lasagna, baked ziti, tortellini, ravioli that are all of the same cost. Or if we should be 3 - 4 different options. The taco bar would run close to $1k based on the cost the last time we did it, without the extras we have to get also.

Another side question:
If the party starts at 5pm, I expect most people to actually arrive between 5:15 - 5:30, what time should dinner be set out? Appetizers will be out for those who arrive at 5pm (or the few who will arrive early.)

We are pretty much settled on the lasagna/pasta idea. It is the most economical option and they will deliver it to us, so it is not getting cold waiting for people to arrive. I did think about seeing if we should ask what they crew would like as their are various options - spaghetti, lasagna, baked ziti, tortellini, ravioli that are all of the same cost. Or if we should be 3 - 4 different options. The taco bar would run close to $1k based on the cost the last time we did it, without the extras we have to get also.

Another side question:
If the party starts at 5pm, I expect most people to actually arrive between 5:15 - 5:30, what time should dinner be set out? Appetizers will be out for those who arrive at 5pm (or the few who will arrive early.)
I would probably uncover the food and let people start eating about 530.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!