Company hosted Potluck - update 12/19

Update & other questions: (from updated 1st post)

We will be providing a simple meal (lasagna, salad, bread) as well a few appetizers, beer & soft drinks. We will ask for people to sign up to bring an appetizer or dessert (if they want).

Other questions:

What time do we set out the main meal? The party is from 5pm - 9pm. Appetizers will be set out by 4:30p for the early birds (the majority of employees get off at 4:30 and some will come straight from work). I expect most to arrive between 5:15 - 5:30.

Do we offer one main dish (lasagna) or do I get a variety of main dishes (lasagna, ravioli, spaghetti, baked ziti?). The issue would be there would not be enough of everything for everyone. Do we ask what the employees preference is for the main dish?

Do we play Christmas music only, Christmas Music with a mix of happy/upbeat music, or no Christmas music?

Unfortunately, it comes with being the manager of the Ale House. Yay me!

I am not resistant to different ideas. Just saying what was thought of. If I had it all worked out, I wouldn't have come here asking for ideas & input.

I just talked to a place that can provide Turkey or Ham dinners, including 3 sides and cost is $75 for a "meal" that serves 6 - 8. I can get just a Turkey Breast or Spiral Ham $35. So if we need to serve 60 people that is $750 without the added costs of proving the soft drinks, appetizers, and desserts plus everything else looks to be close to $1,000. I am not counting any cost for the beer because that is minimal. Maybe the boss will be okay with this but it seems like a lot to me.

The bosses reason for having this get together is to say thank you for sticking by us during the hard times. There is no way to do it during the day, during working hours. After work hours is the only feasible time. I get that having the Friday before what is a four day weekend for us is not ideal. And I will bring this up to him again when we finalize things.

OP I know most of this has been said now, I think you are putting in a lot of effort (either becuase you really want to show your appreciation to your employees or becuase you don’t want to let your boss down) but a crappy party is worse than no party at all.
People have so much on this time of year, don’t move the hassle and expense onto the employees you are trying to thank (not to mention rediculous amounts of work for you)
I think a happy hour would be a better idea, something smaller but done well is better than somerging bigger done poorly (a reflection on the parameters you are being given)
Lastly if you really don’t have the budget but want to thank them, send them home after lunch on the Friday instead, let them get a head start on their long weekend.

I would change this to a holiday happy hour and have it on a weekday right after work. As a thank u the boss could provide beverages and snacks.

I think this is really your best option.

Update & other questions: (from updated 1st post)

We will be providing a simple meal (lasagna, salad, bread) as well a few appetizers, beer & soft drinks. We will ask for people to sign up to bring an appetizer or dessert (if they want).

Other questions:

What time do we set out the main meal? The party is from 5pm - 9pm. Appetizers will be set out by 4:30p for the early birds (the majority of employees get off at 4:30 and some will come straight from work). I expect most to arrive between 5:15 - 5:30.

Do we offer one main dish (lasagna) or do I get a variety of main dishes (lasagna, ravioli, spaghetti, baked ziti?). The issue would be there would not be enough of everything for everyone. Do we ask what the employees preference is for the main dish?

Do we play Christmas music only, Christmas Music with a mix of happy/upbeat music, or no Christmas music?

Set out food at 6:30
Offer at least 2 types of main dishes, you pick them don’t bother with getting input (unless you want them to order)
Play a mix of Christmas and “radio” music

I say:

1) I'd start the dinner around 5:30 or 5:45.

2) I think variety is nice and I agree that having 2 options is ideal (maybe one meat-based and one veg?). However, I think people tend to take more when there are more options. They take a little of this and a little of that, which ends up being bigger portion than it would be if they just had one choice. I'm sure the restaurant's catering staff can help you figure out how much you'll need.

3) Mix of non-religious Christmas music and happy/upbeat music.

2) I think variety is nice and I agree that having 2 options is ideal (maybe one meat-based and one veg?).
There will be a mix of meat & veggie option plus a vegan option. That is one thing I am very intune to is trying making sure there are options for "everyone." One thing I can't guarantee is gluten free (other than the salad).

There will be a mix of meat & veggie option plus a vegan option. That is one thing I am very intune to is trying making sure there are options for "everyone." One thing I can't guarantee is gluten free (other than the salad).
As someone that is gluten free, sometimes it ticks me off that people that choose to be vegan are covered but those of us that have to eat gluten free aren't. Just let anyone that needs to be gluten free, that there won't be anything for them. (Most salads have croutons which makes them not gluten free, and a tossed salad isn't a meal anyway.)
Four hours sounds like a really long time for a party that isn't on the clock. Honestly, that might put me off of attending.
I would just leave early if I didn't want to stay that long.

(Well, I wouldn't go, since there wouldn't be anything that I could eat.)

With alcohol, people will generally stick around.

As someone that is gluten free, sometimes it ticks me off that people that choose to be vegan are covered but those of us that have to eat gluten free aren't. Just let anyone that needs to be gluten free, that there won't be anything for them. (Most salads have croutons which makes them not gluten free, and a tossed salad isn't a meal anyway.)

I would just leave early if I didn't want to stay that long.

(Well, I wouldn't go, since there wouldn't be anything that I could eat.)

With alcohol, people will generally stick around.

I find that most people who truly have to eat gluten-free (or who have allergies, such as dairy) tend to prefer to bring their own food, since cross-contamination and hidden ingredients are very real concerns. They generally are happy to attend parties and just bring what they can safely eat.

Four hours sounds like a really long time for a party that isn't on the clock. Honestly, that might put me off of attending.
Most won't attend the entire time. Most will arrive at 5:30ish and most likely be gone before 8pm. But there will be people who will try to get me to stay longer, so they can drink more. Back in the hey-day Christmas parties were 5 - midnight or later, with live band, a visit from Santa, full dinner, etc.

As someone that is gluten free, sometimes it ticks me off that people that choose to be vegan are covered but those of us that have to eat gluten free aren't.
If it is known that someone is GF I would OF COURSE accommodate them but as far as I know this isn't an issue. But as mentioned above, cross-contaimiation is still going to be an issue. What would you suggest?

FYI the salad WON'T have croutons.

If it is known that someone is GF I would OF COURSE accommodate them but as far as I know this isn't an issue. But as mentioned above, cross-contaimiation is still going to be an issue. What would you suggest?

FYI the salad WON'T have croutons.
If you know that no one needs to be accommodated, then I wouldn't worry about it.

There are ways to ensure gluten free food is actually gluten free, Disney does it every day. As do many other restaurants. Depending on where you are ordering the food from, they might have something.

But, like you said, there isn't anyone in your company that requires gluten free.

If you know that no one needs to be accommodated, then I wouldn't worry about it..
I am still interested in what you would suggest. I don't "know" that no one is GF, but it is not known if they are. As far as I know the place we are getting the food from does not have any GF options.

I am still interested in what you would suggest. I don't "know" that no one is GF, but it is not known if they are. As far as I know the place we are getting the food from does not have any GF options.
Well, when my company knows I will be there for a meal, they ensure that they have something for me. (Not really a company, I work for a church.)

Our vacation bible school coordinator has gone so far as to order from two places. She will get pizza or spaghetti or chicken fingers for everyone then an entree salad or other lunch dish for me.

BUT, everyone at church knows that I have Celiac and need to be gluten free.

Well, when my company knows I will be there for a meal, they ensure that they have something for me. (Not really a company, I work for a church.).
And what do they get for you? That is what I want to know. I am not GF, I have no clue what someone who is GF would like to eat.

The salad will be GF. But I have no clue on the main course what to get for someone who is GF.

And what do they get for you? That is what I want to know. I am not GF, I have no clue what someone who is GF would like to eat.

The salad will be GF. But I have no clue on the main course what to get for someone who is GF.
Smothered Baked potato, from McAlister's deli is common around here. Spaghetti with gluten free pasta. Grilled chicken with a veggie side. Any meat that isn't breaded.

There are a number of national restaurants carry gluten free food.

I find that most people who truly have to eat gluten-free (or who have allergies, such as dairy) tend to prefer to bring their own food, since cross-contamination and hidden ingredients are very real concerns. They generally are happy to attend parties and just bring what they can safely eat.
::yes::

Anyone whose health could be severely negatively impacted by eating a common allergen needs to be responsible for themselves instead of relying on others who may or may not understand their needs.

::yes::

Anyone whose health could be severely negatively impacted by eating a common allergen needs to be responsible for themselves instead of relying on others who may or may not understand their needs.
Dd14’s dance school just had their annual pizza party, I paid the $10 for her, fed her in advance, and sent her with gluten free cookies. Tonight is her soccer dinner, I’ll feed her ahead of time, she’ll have some salad, $20.

I do event planning. As a rule, I get meat and vegetarian options, but not strictly vegan. It's much, much simpler that way. I always ask to let me know if there are special dietary needs, and that's when I would take the vegan into account (if someone needs a special option).

I am doing a banquet now and one woman is gluten free, so I checked with the venue to see what she can eat on the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!