Company hosted Potluck - update 12/19

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
Update #2
So we ended up not being able to do a company party.

Today employees decided to put together a potluck party to held this Thursday (or maybe Saturday). Turns out they want the opportunity to hang out have a few beers and party. They don’t care if they have to bring food or not. If they have to pay for it or not.

Company may or may not still “host” a party at a later date but for now we are having a potluck put on by employees.

Update & other questions:

We will be providing a simple meal (lasagna, salad, bread) as well a few appetizers, beer & soft drinks. We will ask for people to sign up to bring an appetizer or dessert (if they want).

Other questions:

What time do we set out the main meal? The party is from 5pm - 9pm. Appetizers will be set out by 4:30p for the early birds (the majority of employees get off at 4:30 and some will come straight from work). I expect most to arrive between 5:15 - 5:30.

Do we offer one main dish (lasagna) or do I get a variety of main dishes (lasagna, ravioli, spaghetti, baked ziti?). The issue would be there would not be enough of everything for everyone. Do we ask what the employees preference is for the main dish?

Do we play Christmas music only, Christmas Music with a mix of happy/upbeat music, or no Christmas music?

Original (unedited post)

After a couple years of having no Holiday Party we are planning to have a Potluck the Friday before Christmas.

We are asking employees to sign up to bring a dish to share. The company (a local Brewery) will be providing beer & soft drinks, as well as paper plates, plasticware, napkins, etc. What if anything else should we provide?

This is the first time I have been in charge of a potluck so I am not sure what is expected or not.

Last edited:
What type of main dish(es) would you expect at a Company Potluck?

The facility we are having it at does not have a kitchen, so any food prep would have to be done at home (my house). I am the first to admit that I am not much of a cook. So my initial thought is Spaghetti, with frozen meatballs (on the side), salad and rolls. All is cheap & easy.

Call a local catering company. The company should be able to spring for some main dishes.

Otherwise, I see it as cheaping out. Holiday parties can be a moral booster , nice thing to do to show appreciation for all the team has done this year.

In addition to the cups, plates, & napkins, your company could provide several sub sandwich platters, & employees could sign up to bring side dishes like baked beans, pasta salads, slaws, veggie platters, chips, & desserts.

The main dishes. Based on what I’ve seen before you will have chips, cheap packaged cookies, maybe some donuts and soda.

:crazy2: I think I’ve been spoiled at my work! Lol! We do potlucks every other month or so with a sign up sheet and sometimes a theme. Tomorrow is our thanksgiving one. We will have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls, desserts, etc. Work supplies the plates, silverware, and napkins. We bring the food. We are a small agency of 16 women and take our potlucks seriously :D

Call a local catering company. The company should be able to spring for some main dishes.
Otherwise, I see it as cheaping out.

That is the thing cost IS a factor. We haven't had a party the last few years because of the cost. We want to do something but If we can't do it inexpensively, it is like we won't do it at all.

Maybe I'm a bit grinchy, but don't make me (the employee) shop, cook, and transport food so you (the company) can take credit for throwing us a holiday party. Really all you've done is create more work for me. Either actually host a party for the employees or just nix the party and give them a half day instead. Personally, I'd appreciate the latter much more.

Work supplies the plates, silverware, and napkins. We bring the food. We are a small agency of 16 women and take our potlucks seriously :D
To me that is what a potluck is. The host supplies the paper products & drinks and the attendees bring the food. We will have all the beer one can drink.

That is the thing cost IS a factor. We haven't had a party the last few years because of the cost. We want to do something but If we can't do it inexpensively, it is like we won't do it at all.

Sandwich trays and chicken tender trays are not that expensive. I think the company could at least do that. Hard to call it a company sponsored potluck if the company isn't providing a lot.

I get watching expenses, but 'company sponsored' leads itself to company paying.

No one is FORCING you to attend. Thankfully, we are not that type of company, where if you don't show it will look bad for you. So just count yourself as being uninvited. ;)
Looks like we were posting at the same time. Not forcing attendance is always appreciated, so it's nice your company is flexible in that regard.

@disneychrista, I want to be clear that "you" means your company, not you personally. I know you're just trying to do the best you can with the parameters you've been given. :goodvibes
I know. I just see a potluck being just that a potluck. As the organizer I am trying to very clear on what we are doing. It is not so much a company sponsored potluck, as it an employee potluck. We are providing free beer & soft drinks. Those that I have talked to all seem to be okay with bringing a dish to share. The budget will allow for us to provide some food (spaghetti, salad, rolls).

Did you know you can make (several dozen) hot dogs in a slow cooker? Stand them on end, and fill the space.

You can make baked potatoes in a slow cooker, too.

Really, anything that can be made in a slow cooker - like meatballs - is good potluck food. I've worked for companies that allowed us to do them but only provided the paper goods. One option at the last place was for anyone who didn't want to bring food to pay into the pizza fund.

I know it sounds cheap but when we had to cut costs we sold tickets to the company party and then had it catered (you can do deli catering for next to nothing). There were a lot of concerns about food safety. Not everyone, but several people, really didn’t like the idea of eating food that some people cooked at home. It also avoided having too much of certain foods/people forgetting their food/figuring out how to store and reheat food.

At the potlucks I've attended recently, a lot of the guests wanted to bring chips, so we had plenty of chips and little else. The hostess started providing chips and mentioned (in the invites) that chips/salsa would be provided. Guests got the hint and started bringing real food.

Will the party be around lunch time, or just before going home? If the employees are going to go directly home to dinner with their families, I'd suggest appetizers instead of a whole meal.

Then it may be better not to do one at all, especially given that we're now entering the holiday time of the year. In my experience people expect a little bit more at this time of year. Cheaping out is not a good look IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter