Commandos with young kids

disneygeek

DIS veteran
We just need some suggestions. We have been to WDW numerous times. All adults. We go all day typically. We do lots of park hopping. Love the rides.

But now. We have a 17 month old and a 13 month old in our group. We know of some of the things for children but haven't tried them. We usually try to not even walk through Fantasyland.. I've only seen Toontown once. So, we are open for suggestions on things they might enjoy. We are leaving Saturday

Going with children that age is such a wonderful experience! Gives you a whole new prespective on Disney! We went with my DD at 15 months and had a blast!
The top thing I would say to you keep them fed and lots of drinks! If not kids get cranky way before they actually need a nap!
Take the stroller they are use to. We found DD slept great in her stroller and we never left the park. (DD never cared to sleep in a bed and at home she slept best in a car seat or stroller! LOL so this worked great for us...DS different story!)
Fantasyland is so much fun you will wonder why you never did it before! Peter Pan and Snow white can scare some little ones but mine love it! You must do Dumbo!
Chartacters are great but I would hold back if your aren't sure how they will respond. If they seem interested then go for it! Toon Town has lots to do. The kids love Mickey and Minnie's house, the ship and the play are.
Have a wonderful time! Take lots of pictures!
Breaks are great too. We usually plan one full day to hang out by the pool have 3 real meals and rest!

We were there many times without children and, like yourself, would go all day long. We just went last month with our 3 yr. old and our 15 month old. They both had a great time. Here are some of their favorites:
MK - Dumbo, Carousel, Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Mickey's House, Minnie's House, Share a Dream Come True Parade
MGM - Playhouse Disney show, Stars & Motorcars Parade
AK - Safari, Primevil Whirl, Lion King show

We found that our 15 month old would take his morning nap in the stroller (we brought our own - the rentals are hard, plastic ones that don't recline), which would allow us to stay in the parks until after lunch. Then, we'd head back to the hotel for his afternoon nap. This worked great for us. Both kids napped each afternoon and were never cranky when we went out to dinner and/or back to parks in the evenings. We even stayed at MNSSHP until 9:00, and they were fine!

Have a wonderful time!

Turn in your commando badges, or else you'll wind up stressed out from over-tired, wired, crying kids.

#1 advice...do a few rides in the morning, then go back to your hotel for nap or rest.

What I do is eat a little breakfast in the hotel room and go to the parks at opening. Do a few rides, then take brunch/early lunch around 10:30-Noon. At noon, we go back to our room and nap from about 12:30-3. Around 3:30PM, take off for the parks again.

Favorite rides for little ones are in Fantasyland in MK (avoid Snow White- too scary.)

BW

Just understand that you'll have to slow down. And have patience.

Myself, DH, DS (then 3), and DD (10 months) went down for a friend's weddingback in 98. We brought my sister along with us to help with the kids because I was a bridesmaid and would have to stay with the wedding party much of the day.

We spent a day each in MK and Epcot. My sister was used to going fullspeed through the parks and just could not get used to the idea that we were taking our time and had to stop to actually feed children, change children, etc. It was a rough trip and one that I'm not even comfortable bringing up with her because of how mean she was and how much negativity she brought to us. She was only 18 but I thought she would have acted better....we paid for EVERYTHING for her!!

Bottom line....patience!!!! And try to get a new view of the park through the kids' eyes!!

DH and I are reformed park comandos !

We took ds - then 2.5 years old last year and there were times I could have screamed because we were going so slowly - then I saw his face while he was watching something and thought "hey he's having fun - isn't this the point?" We just have a different Disney style now... and for at least a few more years.

But going slow isn't easy - I know I had to keep reminding myself that in 10? or so years I'll be trying to keep up with a teenager who will want to race from one ride to the next - and his then 50-something mother will be panting from the exertion!

Follow the kids' leads - don't push - don't try to foce them to do something they don't want - let them eat and rest when they have to.

and HAVE FUN!

DH & I used to knock ourselves out at places like WDW before our DS came along. The last time we were at WDW, we stayed for 8 nights & were in the parks every single minute they were open. Went back to the hotel at night & had to soak our feet in the tub from all the abuse they were taking. We visited Toontown for about 10 minutes before we ran for our lives. ;) Now we are going for 10 nights with 3 yo DS and have already figured out that we will be taking things a little slower. I know a lot of people schedule break times to go back to the hotel for naps, but our DS varies his schedule from day to day. We plan on just following his ques & taking breaks if and when he needs them. We are also looking forward to experiencing WDW through our DS's eyes. And I have already accepted the idea that we will probably spend a HUGE amount of time riding the Buzz Lightyear & Pooh rides. :p

Last trip we had our then DS-18 month old and 5 year old with us. We had a great time. we never went back to resort for scheduled naps my DS, he just went with the flow. When he was tired he went to sleep. He even fell asleep during Tarzan Rocks(very loud show)-lol! We had our own stroller and he did great.

At Splash mountain there's a little playground near the exit for kids too small for the ride, my DS loved that while my DH and I took turns with our 5 year old.

Definitely use the baby swap. When you go to enter a ride they are too small for or wouldn't like just ask the CM for a baby swap ticket. This way one person can ride with the group while one stays with the kids. Then you swap, they even let others go again with the second person, in most cases.

Have a great trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter