College Program Parents Thread...

My DD did drive by the Little Lake Bryan area and saw The Commons, Patterson and Chatham. Of course, you can not get into the apartment complexes. She said they all looked alike and still doesn't know where she wants to live!!

My son was accepted to the CP for Fall Advantage 2017. I have requested to be added to the FB page, but haven't been added yet - perhaps because he hasn't committed yet? I know it's his decision, but I'd really like access to the info there prior to his deciding to do the program or not. I have to confess to being slightly freaked out over the "drunken orgy" image I have running through my mind. You all have had kids, even multiple kids, do the program - help me off the ledge!

Your DS is not going to do anything there he wouldn't do at home. DD was there a year in two complexes. They figure it all out, figure out who to hang with and who not. DD found her roommates and spent 6 mos preparing a fun program with them. They even met up and all checked in together. Once job hours hit, the other three worked days and hung out at night, DD worked nights and found a good set of friends at work. Was different from anything she was used to living wise but was probably one of the best experiences of her life.

My DD did drive by the Little Lake Bryan area and saw The Commons, Patterson and Chatham. Of course, you can not get into the apartment complexes. She said they all looked alike and still doesn't know where she wants to live!!

Actually you can drive in, the main road goes from International to Vineland. If you go straight you can see the pool, beach and recreation area. You drive right next to all three of the complexes and can get a good idea what they look like.

Vista you can drive alongside the complex on the road you enter it from and see the buildings.

Here are some pictures so you can see the building differences.

http://thefrodiaries.blogspot.com/2014/03/an-introduction-to-disney-housing-and.html

Talking with DD and she hasn't even started her first program and she is already talking about doing an alumni program in 2019 or 2020 :rotfl: Disney bug bites hard!

Ok parents talked to me about drop off day...my son did the program 7 years ago and I went with him but sat with the luggage at the front of the complex and never made it back to where all the parents were waiting with a covered canopy, drinks and a gift bag. He then came and found me and took the luggage to his place and I left. Now my daughter is going hopefully and I want to help her set up her room. How does that work? I know they have a lot to do that day but will I be able to wait around and then help her set up and then leave?

Ok parents talked to me about drop off day...my son did the program 7 years ago and I went with him but sat with the luggage at the front of the complex and never made it back to where all the parents were waiting with a covered canopy, drinks and a gift bag. He then came and found me and took the luggage to his place and I left. Now my daughter is going hopefully and I want to help her set up her room. How does that work? I know they have a lot to do that day but will I be able to wait around and then help her set up and then leave?
This is how it worked for us, in Sept. Dd had a check in date of Sept 6 (day after Labor Day weekend). We had arrived on Sat, Sept 3 to have some family time in the parks. Her check in time was 8:40am. We arrived at the Vista Way gate around 8:30...told to come back closer to 8:40. Returned at 8:38, got a placard for the windshield. Found a parking space close to the building where dd was doing check in. It took her about 8 mins...got her key and off we went. Got to her apt, started unpacking. She was the first girl to arrive there. She had Casting at 9:15, so she left us behind, to finish the unpacking, and got a bus to Casting. We have been told that parents aren't supposed to be in the apt without the CP, but we weren't aware of that, and no one said anything. The next roommate showed up about 9:45, with her mom. Our dd returned about 10:15/30ish. Jumped in the car and went to Target to get what she needed...food, papergoods, some bedding, etc. Returned, unpacked. She went to drug testing, which lasted close to an hour! Just in another building in Vista Way. She got back, we said our goodbyes around 2:30. Didn't see her again until Oct!!!! Dh and I flew home the next day.

Thanks...we will not have a car. I know some parents waited in an area for their kids to get through some of their activities. I just wAnt to make sure I'll have a place to wait or will we be able to get in their rooms right away so I don't have to park myself with all the luggage for a long period of time. Thanks

Is there transportation from MCO for CP's? Our dd will be arriving in August by herself. Will they have tansportation or will I need to get her a car?

Thanks...we will not have a car. I know some parents waited in an area for their kids to get through some of their activities. I just wAnt to make sure I'll have a place to wait or will we be able to get in their rooms right away so I don't have to park myself with all the luggage for a long period of time. Thanks

Hi! Things have changed since your last experience. There is no parent welcome area whatsoever anymore - it was really nice, but now they have made the process so quick and easy it isn't necessary. Your CP will get an itinerary about 4-5 days out telling them which apartment complex they will live in and what time to arrive there ( everyone does not arrive at Vista any longer). I waited in the car for mine and it took about 15 minutes - would have been faster but she had a car to register and there was a short line. She got her key and we headed to apartment. She had her Casting appointment soon after so I went to my resort to wait for her call. When she returned, we went shopping and got her all fixed up!

Is there transportation from MCO for CP's? Our dd will be arriving in August by herself. Will they have tansportation or will I need to get her a car?

Disney does not provide transportation for the kids. One way to make it easier is to have your DD arrive the day before check-in (recommended as check-in times begin early) and stay the night in a Disney Value Resort. She can then use Disney's Magical Express for a free ride to her resort. Many kids Uber to their check-in as that seems to be the cheapest option. Once checked in, she may use the cast bus system for trips to the grocery store, Walmart, mall, etc. A rental car might make everything much easier but it is not necessary.

Hi! Things have changed since your last experience. There is no parent welcome area whatsoever anymore - it was really nice, but now they have made the process so quick and easy it isn't necessary. Your CP will get an itinerary about 4-5 days out telling them which apartment complex they will live in and what time to arrive there ( everyone does not arrive at Vista any longer). I waited in the car for mine and it took about 15 minutes - would have been faster but she had a car to register and there was a short line. She got her key and we headed to apartment. She had her Casting appointment soon after so I went to my resort to wait for her call. When she returned, we went shopping and got her all fixed up!
They get their itinerary at Check in correct?

My dd got her acceptance into Fall Advantage March 23rd. She got of submission on Feb 26th, had her phone interview on 3/3, auditioned in MI 3/8 and was offered a position as "character performer"!!! Her move in date is May 22nd. So excited for her since she was in submission for what seemed to be forever.

Not anymore. They now receive an itinerary about 4-5 days before arrival. It tells them what time to arrive for check in at their complex and also gives them their Casting, Housing and I think Traditions date. They also tell them their work location which is cool.

That's awesome - we are traveling down 7/29 & will be near Cocoa Beach with family & then we check in to POR on 8/2. So 5 days before would be when we arrive at Disney!!

My dd got her acceptance into Fall Advantage March 23rd. She got of submission on Feb 26th, had her phone interview on 3/3, auditioned in MI 3/8 and was offered a position as "character performer"!!! Her move in date is May 22nd. So excited for her since she was in submission for what seemed to be forever.

Congratulations!!! Sounds like it was definitely worth the wait!!!

Congratulations! My DD also auditioned on 3/8 in MI and was offered a Character Performer role! Her arrival date is May 15th. Did your DD have to read a script and be video recorded?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info. How do the kids handle their baggage while checking in if they don't have a car?. Any parents go with their kids to help with this?

Ok, was really hoping not to have to ask this question, but here I am....dd tried to apply for perm employment last week, her six week window. Transfer Genie wouldn't allow her to continue the process due to her having 5 pts. One for lateness, the others due to illness. Yes, there were probably a few days she could have gone to work. So when she was really sick (and there were two times that happened!) she went over the 'acceptable' number of points. Yes, stupid.
So, what are her options? Her program ends May 11. She is planning on looking at US/IoA and DS. But still wants to work for Disney. Any idea how long she has to wait to apply? And what her chances will be when she does? I'm such a sad mom at the moment .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter