Code vent....But for a different reason... (VENT)

How do you feel regarding room-only discount codes??

• Codes are nice but not expected or necessary for planning our trip.

• No, you're wrong; WDW owes us these codes, they've issued them before, they SHOULD issue them again.

• I don't think they *owe* us codes, but a code/discount determines where we'll stay.

• Codes? What codes? I don't know about any stinkin' codes!

Results are only viewable after voting.
My DH and I have AP's and I don't think I am owed a code. However, a code or lack of a code depends on where I am going to stay. No code, I stay at the Swan/Dolphin if I can get a reasonable rate. If I cant get a resonable rate at the Swan/Dolphin then it is a moderate for us. Code, we stay deluxe. I think Disney deluxe resorts are overpriced at rack rates and I refuse to pay rack rates for the deluxes. Also, I don't book until codes come out. And, I am willing to stay at where I can get a great rate when the codes do come out. My theory is if I book before codes are announced knowing I am going to cancel if I don't get a code, Disney thinks that room is filled and it is not. More booked rooms means less discounted rooms. So, while I don't think I am owed a discount, codes or lack of codes does impact where we stay.

Sherry, I completely agree!!!! Although, I have paid rack at deluxes when I really wanted to stay there (WL).

Codes are the only way a lot of people can afford it! I wish they didnt wait so long to offer the codes. Its business tho! I was so shocked and happy to get a code last year! I need one this year too!

LauraAnn,
I see that you stay at All Stars so don't take this personnally because it is not directed at you!

Last year there was a BIG outcry on this board when they didn't release codes for one month in the year (Aug/Sept?) and I just kept cracking up when I would read "We can't afford to go without a code" and then read that the same poster wanted to stay at someplace like the GF or YC/BC. No, they could afford to go, they just didn't want to go. BIG difference. If you can afford GF with a code you can afford a mod without.

Now I know there are people who need a code to afford the All Stars and I appreicate that, but that IMHO is differnet from needing a code to stay at a Deluxe. A deluxe is a luxury IMHO and there are times I stay there when I am feeling well off and LOTS of times I stay at values. The values do meet the basics, they are on Disney and to be honest they are fun!

I certainly don't think Disney owes anyone codes. The only reason the lack of codes upsets me is that there are no affordable options for a family of 5. I would be perfectly happy to stay in a value resort if it was an option for us, but obviously it isn't. At $150/night for POR, I just cannot afford to spend all 9 nights of our trip onsite. I'm just jealous that some people are able to get the same room for half the price.

Oh, I agree! We will be staying at WL. Made our reservations a few months ago and figured if we got a discount, great. But we were planning on going no matter what, and staying at WL. This just means we can book things like a tour, take a spin on sea raycers, and maybe even enjoy a fireworks cruise with the savings.

bishop1989 said:
Noone owes anybody anything, BUT as has been past practice, people rely on codes to help them out. Especially people who purchase AP. That is one of the perks associated with the purchase. To say it is not, would be false. That would be like Disney saying dining discounts will be discontinued as well.

AP Dining discounts and AP room discounts are two different animals. The dining discounts are listed as a flat % (10?) at certain restaurants. The room discounts are advertised as Disney "may" offer discounts to passholders.

I have to admit--I'm oblivious to the codes. Wonder how long they've been around--did Disney start them after 9/11? Clever marketing technique--how many people have decided to go to WDW only after receiving postcard with codes?
And, I'd be curious to compare vacation costs between those with AP codes, general codes, and the schleps like me who just call up 407WDISNEY and book room/MYW passes. Or maybe that wouldn't be a good thing... :crazy:

BuckNaked said:
AP Dining discounts and AP room discounts are two different animals. The dining discounts are listed as a flat % (10?) at certain restaurants. The room discounts are advertised as Disney "may" offer discounts to passholders.

New AP holder here. You get a dining discount too :earboy2: ? How does that work?

I totally agree with you! We're booked at the Contemporary with a AAA rate. We had a AAA rate in October at WL and were "hoping" for a code or AP rate, but nothing came out for our dates. We went anyway and had a BLAST! We don't worry about what we pay for the room...and that's not because we have money. We save up to stay where we want to and expect to pay rack rate (or at most AAA rate if it's available). I, too, do not think Disney owes any of us a thing. We make our choices based on what we can afford - and like you said, if a code comes out, GREAT. If not, we don't let it bug us OR ruin our planning! Planning is half the fun to us!!!

Ok, I got a code, tried to use it and was told no more rooms were available. My DH calls today and they let him use the code! Im glad they did but why wasnt I able to use it???

Ive heard of people having to call 3 times to get someone to let them use a code! :confused3

I voted for the codes determine where we stay. We only book for a couple of nights because we always stay DVC, so we look for Fri and Sat night places.
We can always upgrade if codes come out. I plan on booking for our Jan trip for three nights and have budgeted $500 for it, I would love to get AKL or WL for under $150, if not, we will stay at POP.

SeaSpray said:
Note: I am not talking about AP discounts here, because I honestly don't know whether a discount is a true perk (Listed as a benefit) of having APs or not. For this discussion, I am referring ONLY to general public room-only discount codes.

I usually do not use message boards as a means for "venting" but I am just wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way;

It seems that a LOT of people expect the codes, period. They think that Disney almost owes it to the public to distribute codes to the general public, and when they don't, many people get angry about it.

People, the rooms at Disney are NOT inexpensive. Book what you can afford OR are willing to pay, and if a code comes out, then great. But get over the feeling that you are "owed" a discount.

Yes, Disney is a business and wants to make money, but so what? So does every other business in the world. MOST companies do not give out random discounts.

I know supposedly these discounts have to do with selling more rooms if they see a time frame in which they need to fill rooms, but a lot of people are making recommendations to other people that they NOT book their room if they DON'T have a discount,with the understanding that "Disney won't give a discount if too many rooms are already booked". Well you know what? Too bad! Do you want to be that family who missed out on booking a room they wanted because they waited too long, hoping for a code??

If the difference in price means THAT much to you, then I think you have bigger problems than whether Disney issues a discount code or not.

Don't get me wrong, I am booked at the Wilderness Lodge concierge using the AAA discount (I've been a member of AAA for years, and why not use the discount that's already there), and it'd be nice to save a few more bucks if a room-only discount comes out, but we'd be going to WDW and staying at the Wilderness Lodge in a concierge room whether we had ANY discount or not.

Pick a room you can afford OR that you're willing would pay for, and then just be happy if a code comes out! DISNEY OWES YOU NOTHING, in the form of a discount.

Am *I* the only one who sees this situation like this?? Or do all of you basically feel that Disney SHOULD be issuing discount codes...?

P.S. This is not directed to ANY one person; this is the way I've felt on this issue for years now!

I'm just going to give another spin to this since we have 5 in our family. Now we're very lucky that we can afford to spend the $400 per night to stay at The Yacht Club when we go if there isn't a discount available but there are plenty of families that can't with they have 5 people. You've got to remember that when you have 5 in your family, it's either a deluxe resort or two rooms, that's the way it is. If your kids are little you can get a trundle bed at one of the moderates, but once they're slightly tall, it's too small.

Disney may not owe anybody a discount code, but they should at times reward those who keep the park going when no one else goes. Most hotels have some kind of program, paid or unpaid to reward upgrades and bonus nights once you've stayed enough with them. Airlines do this as well, enough miles and you get a free ticket. I don't believe that Disney owes a general code, but I do firmly believe that they need to take care of those who are at Disney a lot and spend a tremendous amount of time and money there.

One of the problems that I see with Disney is their hotel rates at the deluxes seem to be going through the roof at times. Again, we're a family of 5 so if we want one room, this is on of our only choices on site.

Now just a quick question (nothing mean spirited at all in it!) if you didn't have the AAA discount, would you be staying on the same level that you are now? I also have AAA, but if Disney does away with other discounts then AAA should also be one of them!

Just my 2 cents-

The moderates are usually more in my price range than a deluxe, but if a code comes out and I can get a good rate on a deluxe then I try to book deluxe. On some trips it just makes more sense for me to stay at value or off site.

I don't expect to have a code for a deluxe (or moderate or value for that matter) every time I go to WDW. It would be nice to use codes all the time, but I think the mind set of a lot of people has to change about the codes. They just aren't going to be available in the future like they have been in the immediate past.

The codes appear to be a marketing tool that Disney feels it doesn't have to use at this time. Look for them, but just don't expect a code every time you want to go to WDW.

Phrank

I agree. We booked a tower room at the Contemporary because THAT is where we determined we wanted to stay and would be the best fit for our family. I booked it on the understanding that if we got a discount great but if not, I know the rack rate and since this is a "once in a lifetime" trip for us, I wanted the hotel/room we wanted. We are going in July and I think they are booked now. :o At least according to Disney's website. I was trying to crunch some numbers around and the only thing that came up was a 1-bedroom garden suite? (not sure if that is what it was but definitely no wing or tower room). I just did this again yesterday curious to see if any rooms opened up and now NOTHING for the Contemporary comes up for our dates!

I would be crushed if I had been sitting around waiting for a code and then couldn't get into the hotel I wanted because there ARE people willing to pay full rack rate to get specifically where they want.

Of course, I won't turn down a discount either but as of right now, I'm planning on paying the total I was told it was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter