Christmas/New Years staying on site at Premium resort

Dr.Mickey

DIS Veteran
Tell me about the week of Christmas to New Years if we stay on site at a premium resort like Hard Rock...

The busiest theme park we have ever done is Disney at Easter break, so we know what crowded can look like - but we've never been to MK on Christmas Day, either.

We have never done a full Universal trip (although we did IoA after Hogwarts for a limited convention only after-hours event). I know it will be crowded. So, with the Express Pass and staying on site, will it be enjoyable? Or, are the crowds so crazy that we will struggle even with Express Pass. What do you think?

Thanks!

Book now if you want that time period

In case ap rates or any other specials come up after you book, you can call and have the rate modified

But.. have not seen any fantastic rates for that time period lately

The deluxe hotels sell out the closer you get to December

The further out you book, better the rate

Based on what I have read on the crowd levels, I have never gone that week

Even with the ep, ride lines can be longer
Some of that holiday week will have extreme crowds where park holds back on more admitted to a park on a day
(Think NYE)

I have started my onsite stays January 3 and the crowds do start to thin out then in the parks

We were there on Dec 29 and Jan 3 this past year. There was a major difference between those two dates, the crowds were much lower on Jan 3. That being said, we were still able to get a lot done on Dec 29 and we didn't even have the EP. It was crowded and chaotic at times, but we had a great time. With the EP you shouldn't have a problem getting most everything you want done. You might not be able to ride everything multiple times the same day and don't try to do everything in one day. Take it easy and don't try to rush everywhere. Temper your expectations and maybe just make a list of some "must rides" each day. Everything else you will be able to do will be icing on the cake!

We were there 28 to 31 December last year at RPR. Express was helpful, but early entry the best. Crowded as Disney and Express waits for Mummy reached over an hour. Now, the stand by was even longer, but wow. Also, Kong had long express lines too. But, we thought the Express and closeness of the 3 express giving hotels was worth it.

My family went to US 12/26-1/2 last year, staying at PB, so we had EP. While there were definitely some crowds, I was very surprised by how manageable essentially all of both parks were with EP. The only rides we found to have long lines were Kong (which had recently opened) and the 2 HP rides, which didn't offer EP then. All areas of the park were easily navigable without wall-to-wall people, with the exception of the HP areas.

For comparison, the year before we went to Disney from 12/16-12-23. The parks were manageable for the 1st half of the trip, but 12/21-12/23 we practically didn't want to be in them anymore, there were such huge masses of people.

We are going next year 12/26-1/2, staying at HR, and have absolutely no concerns about crowds.

We stayed at royal pacific new years eve and new years day this year. The parks were pretty empty on the 31st and 1st. With the express pass we never waited more than 5 - 10 minutes for a ride - most everything was a walk on. It was cold (winter coats - and we are northern ontario) and rainy so perhaps that came into play a bit.

It's nuts. Even with Express Passes, just getting to and from the rides is a pain during that time of the year. Hogsmeade is a complete mess since the crowd flow is poor in that area (Diagon is far better).

It's nuts. Even with Express Passes, just getting to and from the rides is a pain during that time of the year. Hogsmeade is a complete mess since the crowd flow is poor in that area (Diagon is far better).

I do agree Hogsmeade is absolutely wall-to-wall people, very unpleasant to be in.

The rest of the park I found to have very reasonable crowds, given the time of year.

Thanks for the comments! It's not exactly a consensus opinion, but you have given me some thoughts to consider.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter