Christmas Gifts for TEENS

My DD wants a weighted blanket for Christmas. She has a hard time sleeping (always has) and loves the weight of blankets but not the heat of them. They are sooooo expensive though. Has anyone ever had them, and what did you think? Any good deals out there? Thanks!

I have one and I bought it from a lady on Etsy. Her shop is called "Three High Chairs."

My DD wants a weighted blanket for Christmas. She has a hard time sleeping (always has) and loves the weight of blankets but not the heat of them. They are sooooo expensive though. Has anyone ever had them, and what did you think? Any good deals out there? Thanks!
I bought the Brookstone Nap weighted blanket for DD on the bed, bath & beyond website. Was able to use 20% off one item coupon on it (can get this by signing up for their email list)

I am guessing OP having one child is annoyed giving to 3 who do not seem very grateful....
Yes, that how I feel. He has two other brothers who don't buy for anyone. The brother with 3 teens usually gives us a family gift for me dd and hubby. Movie tickets or a family basket. We are the ones that give to everyone even the other three niece and nephew who are under 11 one we've never met and the other two haven't seen in 3 years because their mom doesn't let them come around. We give to all three. We also buy for two of his little cousins that don't have stable parent but we give them and they appreciate.

I just feel like the 3 teens don't appreciate anything and don't even have the courtesy to come around. It just annoys me to give to those that don't appreciate.

Yes, that how I feel. He has two other brothers who don't buy for anyone. The brother with 3 teens usually gives us a family gift for me dd and hubby. Movie tickets or a family basket. We are the ones that give to everyone even the other three niece and nephew who are under 11 one we've never met and the other two haven't seen in 3 years because their mom doesn't let them come around. We give to all three. We also buy for two of his little cousins that don't have stable parent but we give them and they appreciate.

I just feel like the 3 teens don't appreciate anything and don't even have the courtesy to come around. It just annoys me to give to those that don't appreciate.

Then how come you still give them presents? Sounds stressful...and unwanted.

When I was in college my favorite presents were a nice set of stainless steel cookware (which I still use almost 20 years later) and a microwave.

Weighted blankets are great but you have to be careful sleeping with them because the risk of suffocation is greater than with a regular blanket. I'm considering getting one for my older son but I'm not going to let him sleep with it.

Thank you. What did you think?
She likes it; it is made of the nap material which is very soft. The only thing I didn't like is the weighted part is an insert in the nap blanket. That is great for washing it, but it has to be adjusted sometimes when making the bed. A minor point but that's really the only thing I didn't love

These sound awesome for my DD. BN is Barnes and Noble, I assume? (just want to verify!).Were they clearanced? Where in the store did you find them?

Yes Barnes and Noble! THey have super displays in the back by character, Mario, Pokémon, MineCraft, etc. Very well laid out etc.

Well my only progress has been in the RETURNS Department! I so struggled with getting DD18 a Nintendo Switch for Chrismas this year. She loves Nintendo but being an only child doesn't really have anyone to play with but comments that Nintendo is fun for single player. has a Wii, has retro SNES, N64 etc. She is a freshman at college and honestly I thought WHEN is she going to play the switch? Home on breaks? She has no tv at school has never asked for one, uses her Apple PRo to watch Netflicks etc. So I wonder if I really want to give another distraction? She hasn't asked for the SWITCH but I know she finds it cool....

I did find great deals on FREE PEOPLE clothing at Macys online with coupon code FRESH as well. REALLY CHEAP prices for free people so I did buy 2 sweaters.

REturning:
1. Switch....Right???????
2 cute pokemon mega building block thing I got at BN the other night b/c I found a Steven universe building block set at walmart! LOL. She always likes a few toys at Christmas and loves steven
3. Zelda game for Switch...b/c I am returning the Switch...right???
4. Oh wait I did pick up on preorder the new birth right game, popular series, for DS....

And last week I decided we were all leaving for WDW on January 1st for the week. Cheap flights! Enjoying a week with her on college break is more imporant than a switch...right??? LOL I could swing both but....this sounds more justified....

Last edited:
Well my only progress has been in the RETURNS Department! I so struggled with getting DD18 a Nintendo Switch for Chrismas this year. She loves Nintendo but being an only child doesn't really have anyone to play with but comments that Nintendo is fun for single player. has a Wii, has retro SNES, N64 etc. She is a freshman at college and honestly I thought WHEN is she going to play the switch? Home on breaks? She has no tv at school has never asked for one, uses her Apple PRo to watch Netflicks etc. So I wonder if I really want to give another distraction? She hasn't asked for the SWITCH but I know she finds it cool....

I did find great deals on FREE PEOPLE clothing at Macys online with coupon code FRESH as well. REALLY CHEAP prices for free people so I did buy 2 sweaters.

REturning:
2 cute pokemon mega building block thing I got at BN the other night b/c I found a Steven universe building block set at walmart! LOL. She always likes a few toys at Christmas and loves steven
4. Oh wait I did pick up on preorder the new birth right game, popular series, for DS....

And last week I decided we were all leaving for WDW on January 1st for the week. Cheap flights! Enjoying a week with her on college break is more imporant than a switch...right??? LOL I could swing both but....this sounds more justified....

If it were me I would return it, she didn't ask for it and it doesn't sound like she will get much use out of it at school. When she comes back home she may be too busy with other things and people since she's been away.
The WDW trip is way better!!

I have come up with a couple other things for 2 of my kids.
Dd- a bluetooth speaker that can go in the shower.
Ds14- Lifestraw and NBA2K18

Well, I got the Mileage Plus guide knowing I needed to burn 65K of miles (after burning 65K last year on a PS4 package - my spouse now has a non-travel job, so he doesn't renew these miles)...imagine my happiness when for 63K+, there was a Switch package with 3 games! So, now no need to actually shop or use Grammy's cash present for this. I'll probably now take her probable check to buy the new tv for the game systems, and then I can probably be done for $100 fun/kid (plus $30-$50 in stuff they need to have - new socks, boots, etc). I love the Switch package, b/c with 4 kids, I can wrap one item per as part of the "big Santa present" unwrap:)...

I'm shocked they were already offering the new package...and cheaper than last year's PS4:)...made my day! (Of course, next year, no more miles, but that will probably be a phone or computer year, and I wouldn't buy those that way anyway:)...

REturning:

My DD really loves the switch, Zelda in particular. You could always give her the trip for Christmas & save the switch for her birthday?

DD17 worked as a volunteer at a local elementary's fall carnival today - and came home with 6 goldfish :crazy2::fish:

So while she was babysitting this evening, I ran out to Walmart to get some water conditioner and fish food (we already had a tank due to previous carnivals :smooth:). While heading to the pet isle, I passed these cute tie-die monster claw slippers: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Women-s-Claw-Slipper/809019715. So of course they ended up coming home with me as another gift for DD!

I need to stay out of stores at this point :sad2:

Last edited:
Oh good thanks makes me feel better. Mine is almost 19 so I'm going to pass on it for her especially since she never asked for it

You could always just come out and ask her if she wants it. I know we still like to "surprise" our older kids on Christmas, but there's a certain price point where surprising probably isn't the best approach. I think you are there :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!