Christmas Day or New Year's (also posted on Theme Park board)

tigefan

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone. We are planning a Christmas break trip to Disney - husband, our two teens, and me. We will be staying at the Beach Club Villas on points and trying to decide whether to include Christmas Day or New Year's Eve in our stay.

What would your choice be and why? I am leaning toward New Year's, but I think I'm the only one. Our dates will likely be December 23-29 or December 28-January 3.

I love it at New Years. Epcot is so close and great fireworks. The Christmas decorations are still up and the Candlelight processsion is there too as well as other Xmas activities. I would rather be home at Christmas. Great either way.

Another vote for NYE! We did the dessert party at Magic Kingdom, and it was fantastic! We’ll definitely be back, but plan to stay at BCV and walk to/from Epcot on NYE.:rainbow:

Have done NYE numerous times but Christmas Day only twice. The times you are suggesting have enormous crowds but NYE beats out Christmas somewhat in being the most crowded day of the year at both Epcot and MK. I lean more towards NYE than Christmas Day and more towards Epcot on NYE, but another factor that helps choose NYE is that the DVC resorts which are both DVC and regular Disney, usually have a band in the lobby (typically in the Disney resort side) on NYE and every band I have witnessed on that evening is very good. Another factor that obviously favors your second choice of dates is that Jan 1 and 2 are low season point dates and thus points needed would be less. A final factor that makes me lean more toward NYE is simply that after doing Christmas at WDW twice, I concluded that we really should just be home for Christmas.

Last edited:
NYE for the fireworks. There's really nothing that special about Xmas day at the parks, other than the fact that you are at the happiest place on Earth on what is arguably the best day of the year.

NYE, The 31st falls on a Monday, should be less crowded than Christmas, however you might not notice the difference.

NYE! We prefer Christmas at home and Disney has great fireworks for NYE. I'd recommend going to MK for NYE fireworks on the 30th (since they do them on the 30th and 31st) and another park for actual NYE. It was busy but not unmanageable. We did HS for NYE and it was fun to hop over to TSMM after the fireworks with little to no wait. If you're staying at BCV, Epcot would be so convenient for NYE. Of course, this was pre-baby; now that we have a toddler we won't be doing NYE at the parks for years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter