Child's Passport needed if flying within the States?

normmo

DIS Veteran
Our kids are 11 and 15. If we cross the border with their birth certificates, would they need passports to fly from Syracuse to Orlando?

Our kids are 11 and 15. If we cross the border with their birth certificates, would they need passports to fly from Syracuse to Orlando?

I have always had passports for my children since they were babies ... so I’m not an expert on your question I did a quick check on the government website https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states And it said this:

Travel documents - Air travel
Canadian citizens travelling by air to, through, or from the U.S. must present one of the following documents:

• a passport, which must be valid for the duration of your stay; or
  • a valid NEXUS card when used at kiosks at designated airports.
This requirement applies to all Canadian citizens, including children.

I think the key is “traveling by air to, through, or from the US”. I would assume you would need it for them. Safest option anyways. Maybe someone else could chime in.

The link provided above applies to people flying from Canada to / from (or over) the US.

Children under 16 do not need a passport to fly domestically within the US (or to cross the border by car). They just need some proof or age and residency (e.g. Canadian birth certificate or health card).

(we flew on from St-Pete to Ogdensburg last Sunday and although we do have passports for our kids, we were told to put them away as they only needed the adult's)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!