Child swap question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a screenshot of the policy on the Disney site and showed cm and said "this is your written policy. Is there a reason you choose not to follow it? " got swap pass.
Disney training is not consistent then there are those with ego power trip. Not sure which is case each time but showing written policy should help.

The thing is, that’s not how the CMs are trained. The website contains misinformation. You got lucky that the CM was nice. I’d never do a favor for someone who talked to me like that.

I took a screenshot of the policy on the Disney site and showed cm and said "this is your written policy. Is there a reason you choose not to follow it? " got swap pass.
Disney training is not consistent then there are those with ego power trip. Not sure which is case each time but showing written policy should help.

Sadly CMs also have a tendency to give in when people are rude and confrontational. Unless you're going to advise others to talk to CMs the way you did, most are going to find the CMs tell them no.

The thing is, the publicly available information is what's published on the website. The impression a lot of people here are giving is that somehow people who are just asking for the system to work as it's advertised on the website are somehow doing something wrong because they don't know what the private CM training material says. And they should somehow know that the real way the system works is different. I think it's perfectly valid for people to think it works the way Disney published it to work. Those are the defacto rules unless the real rules are also published somewhere that the public has access to. It's fair to warn people that there's an issue. That even though Disney (and it really doesn't matter that they are different divisions) says to the public it works one way but tells the CMs it works another way. But that's not the fault of people who are just reading the website to understand the ways the various Disney benefits work. It's not the fault for the CMs just following their training either. And I feel badly for them being caught in the middle and having to deal with angry customers. But those customers have a right to be angry if they aren't allowed to use the system the way Disney says they should be able to. Disney has a responsibility to publish correct information on how RS, FPs, etc, etc work. If they can't get their stuff together that's on them.

The website is a little vague. But it does say:
IMG_20180526_192149.jpg

It says they will be asked to wait in a designated area USUALLY outside of the attraction. I think this specific wording indicates that it can be handled differently depending on the situation or ride. For guests that are tall enough but don't wish to ride, they are still able to do a swap, but since they can go into the line, they can wait at the loading area with an adult while the rest of the party rides, then the adult staying with them can ride. In this scenario, it could be construed as an advantage over regular rider swap as the family can wait together in the queue, and the second party will not have to wait again in the fastpass line. They would get to board immediately after the first group comes back.

The reason we advise DISboard posters that it may not work the way the Disney site describes is because-

Remember using a FP cuts out a lot of the queue thus you don't see as much neat stuff. Once in a while ,if the line isn't too long, we do PP without a FP just to see the room where Tink flys around.

I am not in this situation, but I would hope people who have older disabled children, are able to get kid swap.

That is us :wave2: and regularly refused. DS is obviously disabled, obviously can't be left alone and does not qualify for RS any time we have asked. While it would be nice, I understand as it would lead to abuse.

The website is a little vague. But it does say:
View attachment 325083

It says they will be asked to wait in a designated area USUALLY outside of the attraction. I think this specific wording indicates that it can be handled differently depending on the situation or ride. For guests that are tall enough but don't wish to ride, they are still able to do a swap, but since they can go into the line, they can wait at the loading area with an adult while the rest of the party rides, then the adult staying with them can ride. In this scenario, it could be construed as an advantage over regular rider swap as the family can wait together in the queue, and the second party will not have to wait again in the fastpass line. They would get to board immediately after the first group comes back.

As a side note since your screen shot didn't include the entire instruction page .... it finishes with "If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring one other Guest back to ride the attraction with him or her." So the website clearly says only TWO guests may return to ride with the RS pass. When in reality the passes handed out say 3.

So if a guest returns with 2 more people .... and the CM says they are enforcing the website which says they can only bring 1 more person ... will folks who say they argue their case accept that website rule? :confused3

Bottom line the front line CMs have the final word whether it's at a ride, hotel, restaurant etc.

[PS: This photo is from EBAY. There are multiple issues with the system that are a problem, this being one of them, which is why some are getting passes that expire day of .... and they should make them all that way.]

s-l300.jpg

As a side note since your screen shot didn't include the entire instruction page .... it finishes with "If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring one other Guest back to ride the attraction with him or her." So the website clearly says only TWO guests may return to ride with the RS pass. When in reality the passes handed out say 3.

So if a guest returns with 2 more people .... and the CM says they are enforcing the website which says they can only bring 1 more person ... will folks who say they argue their case accept that website rule? :confused3

Bottom line the front line CMs have the final word whether it's at a ride, hotel, restaurant etc.

[PS: This photo is from EBAY. There are multiple issues with the system that are a problem, this being one of them, which is why some are getting passes that expire day of .... and they should make them all that way.]

s-l300.jpg

Oh I know! The website is definitely full of issues! I just think if someone were trying to argue that the website says they should receive a RS for a too tall person, it could be argued back that the website says a swap will be allowed, but not necessarily that it will occur outside the line.

Sadly CMs also have a tendency to give in when people are rude and confrontational. Unless you're going to advise others to talk to CMs the way you did, most are going to find the CMs tell them no.
I don't think it's rude or confrontational to expect a cm to follow his company's written policy. I was not rude at all, just asked him to follow company policy.
I don't make the rules, but I follow them and expect others to also.
If written policy differs from what they are trained, one of them needs to be corrected so everyone knows what to expect.

The website also says that rules and regulations can change without notice.

CM's have been denying rider swap passes to guests who can ride but choose not to for years and IMHO its not going to change - this is how they are trained.

I am also a rule follower so when a CM said they can't give me a RS pass because my nephew is tall enough we came up with an alternative plan.

I don't think it's rude or confrontational to expect a cm to follow his company's written policy. I was not rude at all, just asked him to follow company policy.
If written policy differs from what they are trained, one of them needs to be corrected so everyone knows what to expect.

It’s the phrasing that’s rude and confrontational. There’s a polite way to ask and there’s the way you asked. (Asking someone why they’re choosing not to follow company policy is rude, especially when they are doing what they’ve been trained to do.)

As has been pointed out, what’s on the website isn’t “company policy,” and can change at any time. It would be nice if the website would match what’s done in practice, but it’s possible that the division who updates the website hasn’t even been notified that a change should be made (right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing). There are lots of websites all over the world with incorrect or outdated information (I’ve seen wrong business hours, etc.). Unless it’s part of the company’s actual terms and conditions, I wouldn’t ever take anything on any website as gospel. Sure, it’s frustrating to show up at a store and find it closed when the website indicated it should be open, but it’s not like I deserve some sort of compensation for the website being wrong. It’s happened to me before...I shrugged it off and went back home.

No matter what, CMs should be treated with respect. It isn’t their fault that the website is wrong, and speaking to them in a rude manner is completely unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter