Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

I took the day off work Friday (and Monday for recovery!) So I'm 100% available for any Friday meet up and Saturday morning run. But I live in town so that's easier for me than the other out of towners. I can help with meeting spots as I'm a bit more familiar with McCormick Place (the expo) and the lakefront area (gotta do lakefront for shakeout!!!)

FYI: Expo information.
  • McCormick Place. North Building, Hall B.
  • Friday, October 5, 2018. 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
  • Saturday, October 6, 2018. 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
https://www.chicagomarathon.com/participant-information/expo-packet-pick-up/

I'd prefer to do something meet-up wise on Saturday, if possible. I'll most likely be flying in on Friday and going to the expo on Saturday. Friday would be a stretch, depending on when the flight ends up getting there. I'll almost certainly be leaving on Monday, as well. No way I want to run a late starting marathon and jump right onto an airplane afterwards!

I am feeling terribly unorganised. Going to focus on flights and accommodation next week.

I’ve never been to Chicago - is the start/finish line easily accessed by public transport? Just trying to plan my attack in case I can’t get a hotel within walking distance at a reasonable price.

I am feeling terribly unorganised. Going to focus on flights and accommodation next week.

I’ve never been to Chicago - is the start/finish line easily accessed by public transport? Just trying to plan my attack in case I can’t get a hotel within walking distance at a reasonable price.

Public transit in Chicago is very good. And the start/finish area is in a very central popular part of the downtown area. I know they encourage people to use public transit on race day. If you have a question about a specific hotel or area feel free to post it on here. I haven't run the marathon before but know the area really well. Others here are veterans of the race :)

When we were in Chicago a couple of weekends ago, we scoped out the start area and it's in a great location that is easily accessible to L stops. It would be very easy to get to. We chose to get a hotel very close to the start line because we want to stay right downtown and near everything, but it would be really easy to stay further out and travel in on race day.

Also the race is heavily attended by people who live in Chicago. So the city is going to have all the Els (elevated trains), busses, etc running because they know how many people will be using them.

Add me to interested!

My wife was planning to run Chicago but it looks like an injury might force her to miss the race. We have a hotel booked--Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown for October 6th-8th that we prepaid for the better rate. Obviously it doesn't look like we can get a refund. Anyone looking for a room and interested please let me know.

We took the subway to the start of the marathon last year, and it worked just fine. I was in Wave 1 so we left our place very early, but the train was on time and not at all crowded at that hour. Just us and a few other racers. The drop-off station was very close to the start too. I'd use public transit again to get to the race - very quick and easy.

For those you wonder (and that's probably not many of you), the official name for the train system is the 'L' (with single quotation marks). However, you will see at least the following, several of which are more generally used: el, EL, El, L, and "L"

To add more confusion, the 'L' often sorta refers to the whole system (or at least the entire CTA system) while the el sorta refers to just the elevated section going around in a loop... that is, around the Loop. The Loop sorta encompasses downtown Chicago. That's 3 "sortas" in 2 sentences so you get the idea.

Now aren't you glad I cleared that up for you?

Important dates

• Week of June 18: Start corral information and qualifying standards will be posted
  • Week of August 20: Information will be posted for runners who wish to cancel their 2018 Bank of America Chicago Marathon entries*
* Cancellation is not an option for those who received an entry through the 2017 cancelled entry, charity or tour group applications.

You’re gonna love it either way. Your city gets an A+ this day.

In mid July I get to take my daughter on a field trip so I made my self an extra extended long weekend to give myself a little break from work. I'm very strongly toying with the idea of parking near Millenium park or Soldier Field and doing my long run on the lake front trail (weather permitting.) Although I've run on the trail a lot, it's always for a race. So I guess consider it a scouting mission for best areas to do the shakeout run come October.

Ran last night on the gym treadmill and my dad is gifting me his treadmill this weekend so I soon will have one at home just in time for my mini cycle to end and marathon training to start; but time flies by faster out in the city when running!!

So I guess consider it a scouting mission for best areas to do the shakeout run come October.

The last 2 years I've stayed in River North and Streeterville, respectively. Both times, I've done a run early on Friday at home before getting on the road and then we enjoy most of Friday in Chicago... actually last year we did a Saturday morning walking tour... maybe not that bright but whatever. Anyways I've done my Saturday morning shakeouts a little along the riverwalk and then out to the path next to the lake. It seems to be very popular and is a nice way to see countless other runners that are all preparing/nervous for the next day.

I feel like Chicago rolls out the red carpet for the marathon. :cheer2:

Example... In 2016, we did the expo immediately upon arrival. From there we drove over to the hotel, checked in and then headed to the loop area to grab a quick bite to eat. After we finished eating and I was putting our tray away, a random lady that had been eating came up to me and said "you're running the marathon, aren't you?". She proceeded to talk to us for several minutes. I can always tell a runner when I see one... you're going to have a great race... I did the race years ago... the city will be out on Sunday to support you... running through all the different neighborhoods is amazing... I'll be out watching/cheering for you too... told my wife that she understands it's probably been hard on her because I've trained so hard, but knew she'd be proud too when I finally crossed this finish line... She just gave us tons of love, encouragement, and made our family feel like the whole City of Chicago was welcoming us. Then she asked if she could give me a hug and I accepted! I'm not a hugger and certainly not with strangers, but I went along with it because somehow it felt right... lol. :goodvibes

The last 2 years I've stayed in River North and Streeterville, respectively. Both times, I've done a run early on Friday at home before getting on the road and then we enjoy most of Friday in Chicago... actually last year we did a Saturday morning walking tour... maybe not that bright but whatever. Anyways I've done my Saturday morning shakeouts a little along the riverwalk and then out to the path next to the lake. It seems to be very popular and is a nice way to see countless other runners that are all preparing/nervous for the next day.

I feel like Chicago rolls out the red carpet for the marathon. :cheer2:

Example... In 2016, we did the expo immediately upon arrival. From there we drove over to the hotel, checked in and then headed to the loop area to grab a quick bite to eat. After we finished eating and I was putting our tray away, a random lady that had been eating came up to me and said "you're running the marathon, aren't you?". She proceeded to talk to us for several minutes. I can always tell a runner when I see one... you're going to have a great race... I did the race years ago... the city will be out on Sunday to support you... running through all the different neighborhoods is amazing... I'll be out watching/cheering for you too... told my wife that she understands it's probably been hard on her because I've trained so hard, but knew she'd be proud too when I finally crossed this finish line... She just gave us tons of love, encouragement, and made our family feel like the whole City of Chicago was welcoming us. Then she asked if she could give me a hug and I accepted! I'm not a hugger and certainly not with strangers, but I went along with it because somehow it felt right... lol. :goodvibes

That's wonderful! Sounds like she comes from my family.

I know this is not marathon related...but if anyone wants to run in Chicago 11/4/18 (maybe for anyone who missed out on the marathon drawing or any of my fellow midwest runners)...the Chicago Hot Chocolate medal has a Hot Dog on it...a hot dog...on a candy bar.
*I also posted this in my journal because I'm freaking out about it!!!

27FlxJqJt9lOgFRapMAIA1YAcBnw5YLEw8VGd9yl1BOg2k1nESqpptaVP4JVY1O6npTQR5POZTkJw95cH7Tg89YZacKJtX5Cwhg5MOsclsblfnklx55lMPevaJoyeFMGAMNNd-EzurKw8sAtBGwXrGT2HoilNkVV=s0-d-e1-ft

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!