Check-in with Dining Plan

triron

Earning My Ears
I received my reservation confirmation from AAA and the form says that all members of our party must be present at check-in to claim the dining plan component or your reservation will be modified. Does this mean for the check-in at the resort or for checking into a restaurant? We will be staying offsite the first night and I plan on checking into the resort at 6:00am to get tickets etc. for the entire family of four. Confused. Can anyone help?

They are trying to cut down on the people that are literally making up children so they can get extra credits to use. So, supposedly, resorts are trying to get people to bring everyone with them to check in so they can verify that all members DO exist and weren't just made up =)

Whether or not they are actually doing that, I don't know.

I can't believe you're going to check in at 6am! That's SO early and there is nothing open yet. Why so early? Just curious ;)

We will be staying at Cypress Harbour for a few more nights so I'm not actually checking-in but only receiving my room assignment, keys, tickets, etc. I will need to take our tickets and upgrade to annual passes. I never sleep well the first night and I read on one of the postings that you could check-in after 6. The rest of the family never has a problem with late sleeping only me. It's not a major problem having the family with me but I was only going to try to do a few of the minor logistics during a less busy times. I wonder if they are actually enforcing the rule? Having young children waiting patiently in line is not the easiest of tasks.

triron said:
We will be staying at Cypress Harbour for a few more nights so I'm not actually checking-in but only receiving my room assignment, keys, tickets, etc. I will need to take our tickets and upgrade to annual passes. I never sleep well the first night and I read on one of the postings that you could check-in after 6. The rest of the family never has a problem with late sleeping only me. It's not a major problem having the family with me but I was only going to try to do a few of the minor logistics during a less busy times. I wonder if they are actually enforcing the rule? Having young children waiting patiently in line is not the easiest of tasks.

I am surprised that they would let you "check in" days in advance and give you room assignment and tickets. Did Disney say you can do that? I've never heard of that. They wouldn't be able to key your card until you check in yet anyways because someone else will be in your room. Did they say you'd have to just come back on check in day and get those coded or what do they do? How do they handle coordinating the tickets and room key if they can't assign your room yet? I was told they don't do room assignments until right before the check in date, guess that info is wrong?

I'm curious about this now! I've never heard of this before! how did you find out you can do that?

Not sure about everything else, but Disney will give you your room key before the room is ready, but they won't give you the room number. They give you a card with the resort phone number to call back after 3pm to get your room number. I have heard that you can get your package contents earlier if you have a night or two reserved before your package dates start, but don't quote me on that. Also, some say that rooms are assigned on the day of arrival and others say that it is done days in advance. I know that I was told to request a certain room, to fax the room assigner 4 days before my check in date. When I have done this, I have always received my requests.

I will only be checking-in early on the day I have a reservation. I will not be checking in earlier than my reservation date. From postings on this site, I saw where others have checked in as early as 6:00 am and received all of their materials but not their room number. Sorry for the confusion.

However, does anyone know if they are enforcing the rule of having everyone present at check-in?

We are doing the same- staying offsite when we arrive the evening before, then checking in very very early to POFQ. Prob grab some CS there for breakfast then hit EPCOT before it opens. Want to get the check in done because we will get the KTTW and dining credits going before hitting our first day park. If we waited till after the park and checked in after dinner we'd have to OOP everything and wouldnt have our park passes.

I don't know if they are enforcing it but like OP have said, it's to cut down on the "phantom" guests-to take advantage of DDP. I don't know if I would risk it, however, if they do modify your DDP will they re-modify it after? I would think they would.

I've read a couple of posts from guests who were required to have their entire party present, but only a couple. I think I might call your disney hotel, ask to speak to a manager, and ask them if it is possible for you to check in early without your entire party.

I am so confused. We are going in September for the free dining...
what is this about phantom children?

hanncam said:
I am so confused. We are going in September for the free dining...
what is this about phantom children?

I believe this would apply to people trying to cheat the system by booking children that are not present during the Free Dining plan. Since kids stay free, it would generate the child's DP credits for possibly the cost of a one day ticket. Just another way of people trying to take advantage of what is already a spectacular program!!!

omg! I have never even thought of something like that! People are so crazy these days....

Now on the other hand, my two children and I have AP's so I am letting my mom use the one day ticket...She is staying in my room and she is on the dining plan also so she already has a one day ticket and I have one cause you have to book a one day ticket for everyone so I said she could use that one too....Is that not right?

hanncam,
Not cost effective unless she is only going to the park 2 or 3 days, but I believe you can let her use your ticket. But I think you'd have to ask them to issue the ticket separate from your room key, which has your name on it.

What would be way more cost effective is to just pay to add the additional days to your mom's ticket. After the second day, each day gets progressively cheaper. Then you can save your 1 day ticket to renew your AP next year or to add days to next trip in 20 yrs or whatever.

Back to the topic...kids present at checkin. I would not take the chance. Even if you call ahead and ask someone, CMs give out conflicting info ALL THE TIME! I am betting that they don't expect the young kids to stand in line patiently. They have a sitting area with TV for kids, right in the lobby. My kids spent quite some time there (they even slept there for about an hour due to room problems). I HOPE Disney checks for phantom children, inconvenience or not. Because even FREE things are paid for by someone.

My party consists of 4 adults......3 arriving by plane, 1 by car. The plane people will be arriving first and we wanted to hit the parks, grab a bite to eat, etc. I sure hope we can get all our stuff without waiting! :confused3

I often check in while my family waits in the car etc...with the dining plan, I expect us all to have to be there (in view) like the rules say. My daughter heads over to the TV area at the BCVs while I check in. I can see her, and she can see me. With the dining plan check-in rules, I can see lobbies getting very congested! esp. one of my favorites: Carribean Beach!

Actually, my mom only wants to go to the parks 2 or 3 days...(I don't get it myself!) I want to do nothing but BE in the parks the whole time...But I have a little 15 month old that is all to happy to retire to the room with nana...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter