Charles Manson has died

I have sympathy for his family, for many reasons, but no sadness to learn of his death. While I am opposed to the death penalty, it does seem like we, as taxpayers, have wasted an enormous amount of money on keeping this scumbag alive. At least the prison system put him away for life without parole. I know he came up for it a couple of times... which I think was wrong... but it was never granted, thankfully.

Manson was actually sentenced to death, but California abolished the death penalty before they could execute him. They’ve since brought it back, but did not return him to death row.

I was 9 when the murders took place and I remember it was the first time I actually felt fear of the outside world beyond my family and school life. The Tate/La Bianca murders both fascinated and terrified me. I had nightmares the first time I watched the Helter Skelter miniseries back in 1976. I hear Quentin Tarantino is doing a film on the killings.

Well all these crime novels in my house just got a little more valuable... ;)

Ahhhhh time... it passes through and takes us all, good and bad.

I truly hope that his soul finds peace and acceptance ; his mortal coil was so abused in this world from the start, it would have been impossible to learn goodness in his circumstances.

What disturbs me the most about his brainwashing was that it was so effective that even TODAY a number of his followers have still not yet recanted!!!

I feel no sorrow for his death. But I did find him an interesting person. Evil, horrible, insane but interesting. He was the one person I saw look into a camera and you could see the insane look in his eyes and a dead look as far as emotion or remorse.

I have heard the "but he didn't commit murder, why is he in prison" arguments too. And technically he didn't physically do the deed. But the power he had over his followers was frightening. That he could get these young people do the things they did is just unimaginable. So whatever laws that are there to prosecute someone like him, I say, thank God for those laws. And the fact that there are people who still have thought of him as unfairly persecuted and may would even listen to him today is absolutely terrifying. I mean how does someone have that kind of power over people?

When I was younger I read some books on him, and that was pretty much my takeaway as well. I don't see how anyone could think he nor any of his followers should ever be freed.

I think one of the scariest things is that he was successful in manipulating his “followers” b/c he was able to find & prey on the vulnerable & disenfranchised. When ppl (especially impressionable kids) have no one & nothing, it’s amazingly scaring what they can persuaded to believe & do.

So glad for the families of the victims. Every time he had a parole hearing they had to go in there and make sure they were not lenient on him.

I have sympathy for his family, for many reasons, but no sadness to learn of his death. While I am opposed to the death penalty, it does seem like we, as taxpayers, have wasted an enormous amount of money on keeping this scumbag alive. At least the prison system put him away for life without parole. I know he came up for it a couple of times... which I think was wrong... but it was never granted, thankfully.

Don't think he had much family. They said there is no one to claim the body.

I know this is part of his history, but it makes me so angry that he is given this much attention.

I know this is part of his history, but it makes me so angry that he is given this much attention.
I can see that point, but I also think it’s important to learn from this as a society. He did not appear out of thin air. Many factors contributed to him becoming this monster & contributed to him being so “successful” at manipulating others into becoming monsters. I hate when ppl use the term “evil” to describe ppl like him. His actions were certainly evil, but IMO, labeling him or ppl like him as “evil” denotes some supernatural element which makes it seem like there is nothing anyone could have down to prevent someone like from existing, but in most cases, this simply not true.

People do not want to believe that evil exists in the world. But it is there as much as there is goodness and grace in the world I know we are not suppose to talk about religion, so I will let it go at that.
I just feel at the time it was so unheard of and it got so much attention-and he is still getting the attention he craved.

People do not want to believe that evil exists in the world. But it is there as much as there is goodness and grace in the world I know we are not suppose to talk about religion, so I will let it go at that.
I just feel at the time it was so unheard of and it got so much attention-and he is still getting the attention he craved.
There is “evil” but there are also often many societal & personal circumstances that contribute to the developemt of that “evil”. So, as a society, there are often things we can learn about prevention of such things rather than just throwing our hands up & saying, “oh, well, it was just evil.”

I can see that point, but I also think it’s important to learn from this as a society. He did not appear out of thin air. Many factors contributed to him becoming this monster & contributed to him being so “successful” at manipulating others into becoming monsters. I hate when ppl use the term “evil” to describe ppl like him. His actions were certainly evil, but IMO, labeling him or ppl like him as “evil” denotes some supernatural element which makes it seem like there is nothing anyone could have down to prevent someone like from existing, but in most cases, this simply not true.

I believe evil exists but some evil can be changed or prevented. Evil can be removed. While some evil is born, I believe most is created.

I have read that he was horribly abused as a child. His Mom gave him up or gave him away. He was abused at whatever facility he was in. And lived with grandparents later.

He was insane no doubt. And probably was from a young age. Sadly with a different young life he could have had a different adult life. His childhood could have very well created the evil he became. But perhaps not. Perhaps he really was born a psychopath.

And while I kind of agree that he is still getting the attention he craved, I think it's important to learn why someone became what he became and how do recognize this before these acts are committed.

Only if you believe in the supernatural.
Evil is just the extreme opposite of good, nothing supernatural about it.

I do not know too much about him and the killings, however there is a fascinating podcast which is currently coming out called Young Charlie.

I always thought it was just some nut and a bunch of broads who liked him, I didn't know the cult aspects and all the issues with the investigation.

Its fascinating, but must have been terrifying at the time!!

I believe evil exists but some evil can be changed or prevented. Evil can be removed. While some evil is born, I believe most is created.

I have read that he was horribly abused as a child. His Mom gave him up or gave him away. He was abused at whatever facility he was in. And lived with grandparents later.

He was insane no doubt. And probably was from a young age. Sadly with a different young life he could have had a different adult life. His childhood could have very well created the evil he became. But perhaps not. Perhaps he really was born a psychopath.
Yeah, of course, the ole’ nature vs nuture. But, in his case, what we know about human development is that many ppl treated like that in early development should have likely ended up committing evil acts.

Only if you believe in the supernatural.
Evil is just the extreme opposite of good, nothing supernatural about it.
I agree. My point is that it often has a cause or at least an origin vs a supernatural element beyond anyone’s control, so, as a society, often we can learn from where it came from or what lead to it.

Yeah, of course, the ole’ nature vs nuture. But, in his case, what we know about human development is that many ppl treated like that in early development should have likely ended up committing evil acts.

Exactly. Some actually do. Some don't. Maybe it's a combination of nature and nurture. Seems that perhaps his mother was mentally ill so maybe he started out with issues and lack of nurturing just compounded on that. Either way, I believe he was a created evil.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter