Changed to the ESTA and Visa Waiver program

dabecs

WDW 2012, WDW 2014, DL 2017!
I thought we should have somewhere to discuss the proposed and rumoured changes and then once more info comes out we can talk about how we can go about dealing with any changes that come up:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...dc581548cc9f46ba69db6c18f79ca22?client=safari

Has anyone heard anything more or anything different? I applied for our visa waivers a week or two ago and haven't heard anything yet - I don't know if this new legislation will affect me or not at this point.

Will this change your future travel plans?

Great question, I just came on here to check if anyone had any info as I was going to book our flights tomorrow.
This was the latest I have read about it http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/01/28/australian-tourists-wont-be-hit-trump-order
Apparently Australia and 35 other countries won't be effected but I don't know how much truth is in it.
As this is the first time we are travelling to the US, how far in advance would we apply for our ESTA application?

Great question, I just came on here to check if anyone had any info as I was going to book our flights tomorrow.
This was the latest I have read about it http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/01/28/australian-tourists-wont-be-hit-trump-order
Apparently Australia and 35 other countries won't be effected but I don't know how much truth is in it.
As this is the first time we are travelling to the US, how far in advance would we apply for our ESTA application?

Normally I would suggest not applying too far out because they are valid for 2 years so you might be able to use them again. At the moment though I don't know what the future will hold. From what I have read if we can no longer get visa waivers then to get a visa will involve an interview - that will certainly slow things down if that's the case.

Fingers crossed nothing changes!

Normally I would suggest not applying too far out because they are valid for 2 years so you might be able to use them again. At the moment though I don't know what the future will hold. From what I have read if we can no longer get visa waivers then to get a visa will involve an interview - that will certainly slow things down if that's the case.

Fingers crossed nothing changes!
Yes, I'm wondering if it's better to apply sooner rather than later just incase

It seems to have calmed down today, and it looks like tourists will still be able to get 90 day visa waivers.

Phew!

Our Aussie Six - I would wait and see what happens.

I am from Ireland and like Australia my country is on the ESTA program. I have booked flights and hotels for California in June. I just checked my ESTA documents. I got a new ESTA in 2016, which states valid until April 2018. A few hours ago I went onto the ESTA website and retrieved my application. As of today 28 January 2017, its saying I am still authorised to travel. The 7 countries that Trump has outright banned is getting alot more media coverage than the ESTA changes. I can find very little reports about the changes and what I do find is conflicting.

Im going to wait a few weeks, until things calm down and I am going to ring the American Embassy here in Ireland. I just cant believe this this. I wont really calm down until I am actually on the plane in June after getting my authorisation stamp in my passport at the USA Pre Clearance in Dublin Airport

I am from Ireland and like Australia my country is on the ESTA program. I have booked flights and hotels for California in June. I just checked my ESTA documents. I got a new ESTA in 2016, which states valid until April 2018. A few hours ago I went onto the ESTA website and retrieved my application. As of today 28 January 2017, its saying I am still authorised to travel. The 7 countries that Trump has outright banned is getting alot more media coverage than the ESTA changes. I can find very little reports about the changes and what I do find is conflicting.

Im going to wait a few weeks, until things calm down and I am going to ring the American Embassy here in Ireland. I just cant believe this this. I wont really calm down until I am actually on the plane in June after getting my authorisation stamp in my passport at the USA Pre Clearance in Dublin Airport

It just adds another layer of stress that no one needs before a holiday! I think unless they come out and clearly state what is happening and going to happen a lot of tourists won't bother planning a trip.

I just looked online and my ESTA has been approved - so hopefully that still stands in March. I'm not sure how many Irish visit the USA (I'm guessing a lot!) but media reports here suggest 1 million Aussies visit the USA each year - that's a lot of tourist dollars!

It's actually not the visa waiver (ESTA) program that's being changed, it's the visa INTERVIEW waiver program that's changing - previously business travellers could use this program to renew business visas without fronting up for an interview at an American embassy or consulate. The changes have been widely misreported in the media though

It's actually not the visa waiver (ESTA) program that's being changed, it's the visa INTERVIEW waiver program that's changing - previously business travellers could use this program to renew business visas without fronting up for an interview at an American embassy or consulate. The changes have been widely misreported in the media though

Yes, it's not a change to the tourist visa waiver but when I started this thread that is what the media was saying. I was very glad when it all settled down and the correct info came out :flower1:

Does anyone know if the ESTA needs to be valid for a certain time after your departure date? I know that's the case for some visas. I couldn't find anything on the US gov website about it. Mines valid for 2 months after we depart but want to make sure that's ok.

Does anyone know if the ESTA needs to be valid for a certain time after your departure date? I know that's the case for some visas. I couldn't find anything on the US gov website about it. Mines valid for 2 months after we depart but want to make sure that's ok.

To answer my own question for anyone else looking...

This is from the official esta site(which someone else I asked pointed me to)

Do I need to apply for a new ESTA if my current travel authorization will expire while I'm in the United States?

No. ESTA travel authorization needs only to be valid upon arrival in the United States.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!