Celebrity sightings

Too many to list but then I live in Manhattan where a special code exists when you see 'em: don't try to make eye contact, gush, or seek their autograph...actually that works for riding the subway w/ yer fellow commuters too:lmao:.

Lol same!!! Although the kids of a very famous singer/actor started at my kids' school this year and we are all pretty starstruck.

Too many to list but then I live in Manhattan where a special code exists when you see 'em: don't try to make eye contact, gush, or seek their autograph...actually that works for riding the subway w/ yer fellow commuters too:lmao:.
I do not understand how people are passed out sleeping on the subway. How do they know when to wake up, is it the rhythm of the subway.

I met Norman Reedus "in the wild" before TWD was huge (mid-season 1). My family does the Con thing so I've met a lot. The nicest is Matthew Lillard. I could spend hours just watching him ... he's hysterical and about the most positive, upbeat person I've ever met.

My favorite of all time was when I met John Denver. He was as wonderful as I ever imagined.

We go to Comic Cons, so we have met a lot of famous people there. My husband was on a panel speaking at one and it was right before the cast of Star Trek The Next Generation was going to come out on stage. So, we got to meet all of them. That was one of my favorite celebrity experiences.

I sat next to Michael Caine at the theater in London. We saw him in the lobby, but DH wouldn't let me approach him. We took our seats and the theater filled up except for the two seats beside me and the two in front of them. Just before the curtain went up, Michael Caine and Roger Moore and their wives came in. The ladies sat in the front seats and Michael sat next to me, with Roger at his right. In the couple of minutes we had before the overture, I asked him to autograph DH's theater program for his birthday. He exclaimed that DH must be a Pieces and so was he and so was his wife! I confessed to being a Pieces, too, and he said it was a wonder that we hadn't each killed our spouses, all being Pieces! In the course of passing the program back and forth, his hand brushed my leg and I silently vowed never to wash that spot again! At the interval, their group went out to the lobby for drinks, and the lady in front of DH turned around and asked if we had paid extra for our tickets - ironically, we got them for a discount at the Naval Exchange!

Queen Colleen

Alex Trebek, on the other hand, is a teeny-tiny, wee little man. Met him, also in college, when I tried out for the Jeopardy! College Tournament. He's friendly but kind of cerebral - sort of like that quirky English professor you had in college.

Wow I'd of never thought he was little, interesting.

I've got nothing, but impressed with some of you who have met quite a few celebs.

OK.
I'll tell you the bare minimum about my meeting Diana Ross at a party that I was invited to by another celebrity who I consider the brother my parents never had. Despite his then thinking of her I regard her as a modern day witch. Maybe his defensive thoughts were only professional; they did do well together.
Oh and so is Patti Labelle for my thunk but Nona Hendryx is down to earth good people and laughed at my impersonation of her in the bathroom of the Beacon Theater one Halloween when Labelle was headlining.

Mary Tyler Moore made her Rhoda hooks back up with Mary reunion movie using exterior shots at my building and sat on the couch in the lobby. It was unfortunate that they were over running production time when I returned home since I just walked through the front door and ruined the shoot. Oops. I'm pretty sure MTM said hello to me but I dinna recognize her and walked on in a blue funk to the service elevator worrying about whether I had a key to the back of the apt entrance. Obviously I was still in a subway catatonic state.

I wuvvvvvvv me some David Bowie who I met at a few dinner parties and other social events. Very erudite on a myriad of topics. His unexpected death caused me to gather known fans together to rent a small state run campground in CT where we hoped to blast his music, share our thoughts of him and eat well (he liked good food too) despite the lack of hot water and primitive surroundings. It's unfortunate state budgetary cuts caused the event to be cancelled and moved to a private space upstate NYS. We still had a good time but more people would have come if it was held at the CT site.

I suspect I would gush incoherently and shame self for all time if I met David Bryne unexpectedly. He's right up there with David Bowie for me.

My first touch of stardom involved meeting Tony Williams of the Platters. Walked down a longgg dimly lit hallway that I came to realize were decorated with gold and platinum records. It was interesting talking with him about days I wasn't around for but still recalled vividly via audio.

Last edited:
I do not understand how people are passed out sleeping on the subway. How do they know when to wake up, is it the rhythm of the subway.

I was on a flight that stopped in Houston. I was continuing on to the next destination, so I didn't disembark. We were at the gate quite awhile as people disembarked and new passengers were loaded. Finally, we pushed away from the gate, began to taxi toward the runway, and then turned around. There was a sleeper in the back of the plane who was supposed to get off at Houston, and he'd slept through the entire exchange.

Some people on the subway are constantly passed out and would do that anywhere; not a bad idea to avoid those cars when possible.
Others such as self are just in a light sleep and pay attention to major stop announcements knowing how much longer it'll take to get to their destination.
Annoying are the ones who "hard sleep" and occasionally rest their head on your shoulders, LOL.
I used to have a "backwards" commute traveling from Manhattan to the end of the line in Brooklyn. Took 1-1/2 hours one way and I learned to sit in the two seaters located at the ends of the cars. Want to fall asleep? Good place to be.

I sat next to Michael Caine at the theater in London. We saw him in the lobby, but DH wouldn't let me approach him. We took our seats and the theater filled up except for the two seats beside me and the two in front of them. Just before the curtain went up, Michael Caine and Roger Moore and their wives came in. The ladies sat in the front seats and Michael sat next to me, with Roger at his right. In the couple of minutes we had before the overture, I asked him to autograph DH's theater program for his birthday. He exclaimed that DH must be a Pieces and so was he and so was his wife! I confessed to being a Pieces, too, and he said it was a wonder that we hadn't each killed our spouses, all being Pieces! In the course of passing the program back and forth, his hand brushed my leg and I silently vowed never to wash that spot again! At the interval, their group went out to the lobby for drinks, and the lady in front of DH turned around and asked if we had paid extra for our tickets - ironically, we got them for a discount at the Naval Exchange!

Queen Colleen

Nice story! I like when the replies include anecdotes about the encounter, Just listing the celebrity name is kind if boring, IMO,

My first touch of stardom involved meeting Tony Williams of the Platters. Walked down a longgg dimly lit hallway that I came to realize were decorated with gold and platinum records. It was interesting talking with him about days I wasn't around for but still recalled vividly via audio.

Funny you should mention The Platters, as I had forgotten this one as I was pretty young. My Dad played in a band (well, still does), just a local, classic-rock thing, and they usually played at the local "Summer Festival" in town, basically like a mini-fair type thing. Anyway, the headliner that year was Herb Reed and the Platters. I didn't really know who they were, and I don't know which of the members were there other than Herb, but they were super nice to me as I hung out back stage (my dad also did a lot of the sound setup and stuff for all of the bands). I remember they had a big trailer or RV or something and a cooler full of ice cream. This was in the early 1980's or so, so I don't know if that sheds any light on the group members at the time. Looking at the Wiki article it seems there were many who came and went after the classic years. It was a good show too. I didn't really know who they were, but realized I had heard some of the songs before once they started playing.

I once sat next to Goldie Hawn at a Los Angeles Kings NHL game. Other than saying hello, I didn't bother her. She gave me a high five after the Kings scored a goal.

She wasn't with Kurt Russell, but rather a female friend.

Some people on the subway are constantly passed out and would do that anywhere; not a bad idea to avoid those cars when possible.
Others such as self are just in a light sleep and pay attention to major stop announcements knowing how much longer it'll take to get to their destination.
Annoying are the ones who "hard sleep" and occasionally rest their head on your shoulders, LOL.
I used to have a "backwards" commute traveling from Manhattan to the end of the line in Brooklyn. Took 1-1/2 hours one way and I learned to sit in the two seaters located at the ends of the cars. Want to fall asleep? Good place to be.
My son is working for a company that is putting in the new subway from Grand Central out to Brooklyn. They are putting in the rebar and cement. I was down there. Now they are working outside, he occasionally takes pictures of the train going by. He cannot believe how close they are. My son tells me he will call a cab to get home if he is sleepy, he freaks out if he falls asleep on the subway.

I worked a celebrity golf tournament for a few years and I got to pick up up players from the airport and drive them around. They were mainly sports people. I picked up Jim McMahon who made me nervous, but he was really nice and went out of his way to say hello to me whenever he saw me. Another favorite was Adam Baldwin (NOT a Baldwin brother). He’s a actor. He was so nice and requested me as his driver. We talked a lot and he even took me out to dinner one night.

I once sat next to Goldie Hawn at a Los Angeles Kings NHL game. Other than saying hello, I didn't bother her. She gave me a high five after the Kings scored a goal.
is this
She wasn't with Kurt Russell, but rather a female friend.

The actress Susan Saint James was right in front of me at a Kings game. Late 1980's, when she was in Kate & Allie. She was and maybe still is a devoted hockey fan.

Uh oh, is this an appropriate use of the word "female"?

I recently went to a "Meet the author" event with my favorite author, who just so happens to live the same town as me. I talked to her for a little while and found out she had a daughter the same age as mine. I went home and told my daughter the girls name, to which she responds, "Oh yeah, I know her. We're friends." This whole time I was so thrilled about my experience meeting my favorite author and my daughters just like "Yeah, whatever mom. I already know her."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts