Castaway Cay 5K

jestracker

Mouseketeer
We are planning on walking the 5K on Castaway Cay. Where is the starting line and the finishing line? Do they count the walk from the ship to there? We've seen the runners/walkers before but have not paid any attention to the actual run/walk areas. Thanks for any help.

The start/finish line is near the middle of the island near the gift shop/ Pelican Plunge area.

Walk from the ship does not count. Start line is near bicycle rentals and finish line is there as well- so out and back course. Have fun!

We are not runners, and have been walking here at home to get in shape. I will be turning 70 the day before the run/walk and want to do the 5K while I am still able. As people say, "on my bucket list of things to accomplish"!

Good for you!!! It is FUN! Water stations along the route as well!!! Plus the great medal keepsake!

What time does it start?
I have a 10am jetski reservation and I'm trying to figure out if I can sneak in the 5k.
(I can run/walk a 5k in 40min)

I've only done the race once a couple of years ago but the runners were the first people off the ship and walked straight to the start of the race. The actual start time of the race all depends on what time they dock and start unloading the passengers.

I'm hoping to do this race on my next cruise. :)

What a spectacular milestone birthday achievement! You rock!
We are not runners, and have been walking here at home to get in shape. I will be turning 70 the day before the run/walk and want to do the 5K while I am still able. As people say, "on my bucket list of things to accomplish"!

What time does it start?
I have a 10am jetski reservation and I'm trying to figure out if I can sneak in the 5k.

So we have run this several times- all depends on what time ship is cleared. Usually you meet in one of the lounges around 8am to get your number, and see a map of the course. Then walk off ship- around 8:45am, sometimes later. Walk to the start and run- anytime between 9 and 9:45am. So... it might be tight if you have an excursion at 10am and things don't move along as fast with the race. We have been done as early as 9:30, but that isn't always the case. Good luck!

What time does it start?
I've done the 5K on my last four stops at CC in 2016 and 2017, twice on the Fantasy and twice on the Magic. Starting times for the actual run/walk has not been before 9 am or after 9:30 on any of these cruises. The assembly has typically been at 8:30, but the time departing the ship and getting everyone to the starting line varies.

You could always cut the 5K a bit short by skipping the second loop of the bike trail as you return from Serenity Bay.

I guess I'm just unlucky, we haven't been let off the ship before general disembarkation either time we did it. First time wasn't too bad, as we got to the gang planks they started general disembarking so there were racers and other folks making their way onto the island together and for the most part all the racers got to stay together. My experience in Nov 2016 was a little different, there was a little mix up and we didn't get let off the ship until after they started general disembarkation. So we got stuck trying to get out, took a while for the whole group to form up at the start line (I think a couple cast members got stuck too) and we didn't start until 10am according to my tracker. But that seems like an aberration.

Also, I've found you can do 3.1 miles if you don't short cut the turns. My Garmin GPS has it at 3.12 for the last one, but I forgot to stop it right at the finish line :) I go all the way down to the Serenity bay tram loop and just about follow the outside of the cul de sac and do the same when going back into the loop- I stay on the runway until just about even with the entrance and then cross over. Not how you're supposed to run a race but it seems if you take the long path rather than the shortest you'll be closer to full distance. But if you're going for time (or ya know, just get to the beach :) ), you'd definitely want to do the shortest distance between two points.

But if you're going for time (or ya know, just get to the beach :) ), you'd definitely want to do the shortest distance between two points.
There is no rule stating you have to complete the entire course, if someone starts it and realizes it is too hot or such they can head toward the finish line at any time (yes it is hard in the loop, but they wouldn't complete two loops

There is no rule stating you have to complete the entire course, if someone starts it and realizes it is too hot or such they can head toward the finish line at any time (yes it is hard in the loop, but they wouldn't complete two loops

Oh of course, but since the OP said it was a bucket list type thing I took that as accomplishing a 5k and assumed they'd want to try a full race/distance. (or anyone else looking for a full 5k) I hope folks didn't think otherwise, thanks for making the point.

a little side note... I am an avid runner. I've tracked this with my GPS on several occasions. It is about 2.87 miles. A true 5k is 3.09.

A very fun race nonetheless. It its not timed, and very stress free!!! HAVE FUN!!!

Not trying to be funny here, but what's the difference? If you run the whole 2.87 miles you're doing some good exercise and the extra .2 mile isn't going to make any noticeable difference.

What time does it start?

10a could be cutting it close. I did the CC5k last year and same deal, I had a 10am jetski reservation. I did the run in 28 mins and barely made it to the jet ski beach in time.

The difference is .22 mile:teeth:

Got it, so basically a 5k is like running 12 laps on a track whereas the CC5K is like running 11. I guess if that bothers some for whatever reason that's fine. I just know that a good many people can't run the full 11, and if you do, it's a heck of a workout.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!