Carlsbad vs La Jolla vs?

mellowme

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a hotel in San Diego for our holiday. We'll be heading to Legoland, Sea World, the San Diego Zoo and some beaches.

Which area's would you recommend for a family?

Which beaches would you recommend going to for a family day outing?

Thanks in advance.

A lot depends on your budget. The Coronado Hotel is one of the best. The beach there is often better for kids as larger waves are not as common as other beaches. But Coronado is also rather expensive.

We're a budget oriented family and for our upcoming trip we'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Bayside. No beach there but the marina is across the street. From there we drive the short distance to Sea World or Mission/Pacific beach. Booked online selecting the Entertainment card rate for $75.

La Jolla is beautiful and there is the Childrens Pool which is a cove with a very small beach that is protected from large waves. Also nearby is an area which dozens of sea lions frequent and is a lot of fun to watch.

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a hotel in San Diego for our holiday. We'll be heading to Legoland, Sea World, the San Diego Zoo and some beaches.

Which area's would you recommend for a family?

Which beaches would you recommend going to for a family day outing?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe Coronado or Downtown? They are close enough to the freeway and not far from Sea World and the Zoo. However, they are not close to Legoland.

I prefer Coronado beach. Coronado Island is beautiful and let's not forget about the historic Hotel del Coronado. There is also a ferry that you can take to downtown. There is also Mission Beach which has Belmont Park (and the Giant Dipper rollercoaster). This is definitely not as clean Coronado though.

La Jolla and Del Mar are also beautiful places in San Diego.

Here are some links to check out:

Ferry Landing: http://www.sandiego.org/listing/Visitors/1250
Belmont Park: http://www.belmontpark.com/
San Diego Travel Resource: http://www.sandiego.org/nav/Visitors

We stayed in Carlsbad at the Residence Inn to be near Legoland on a recent trip. We also went to Sea World which was about another 25-30 minutes down the I-5. Our Sea World excursion was on a Saturday--I'm sure it would take considerably longer on a weekday with traffic.

It was fine for our requirements which include needing a separate room for the kids (it was a 1 bedroom suite), being acceptably clean, though it wasn't spectacular in that regard, and being fairly inexpensive ($95/night). That also included parking, free breakfast, internet, and they had a free shuttle to legoland. I'd also add that it's in a super quiet area and was not very scenic. There was a small pool, a hot tub, and a grill for guests to use.

Hard to say if we'd stay there again, mostly because we'd probably focus on the zoo the next time we go down and pick someplace closer to that area and not because there was something in particular about the hotel we didn't like. It just wasn't that interesting, but was a fair value.

We also had lunch at the Sheraton next to Legoland. That hotel had a very nice view, the lobby and pool area were beautiful, and the staff seemed nice. I can't say anything about the rooms though. We might be interested in staying there, but we'd need two rooms which would make it a bit pricey.

My favorite place to stay in Carlsbad is The West Inn & Suites. Really gorgeous rooms, amazing free hot breakfast and cookies & milk each evening. Plus a FREE shuttle to Legoland. Rated very highly on tripadvisor as well.

http://www.westinnandsuites.com/

La Jolla is gorgeous, but we have found it too pricey for our family.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Are there any area's we should stay away from?

Just so I know for future posts... what does OT mean? Did I post in the wrong spot?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Are there any area's we should stay away from?

Just so I know for future posts... what does OT mean? Did I post in the wrong spot?

OT stands for "Off-Topic". The Disneyland board is really just supposed to be for questions specifically about Disneyland trip planning. This thread about Southern California (where the MOD's moved your post to) is for questions about everywhere else in SoCal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter