Canon 5D

jimim

DIS Veteran
Hi all. I am heavily invested in glass already. I have been using a 7D since it came out. It’s fine but I have always wanted to go full frame. Am I crazy to spend the money on a 5D with how cameras are moving completely to mirrorless?

I’m also considering buying used or open box. Adorama has a bunch in excellent condition at 1700. Would anyone buy one used or is it asking for problems.

I just wanted to get some opinions. My crop 7D has never let me down but I want a new toy.

Should I be looking at mirrorless?

Is the 5D king in the tooth now?

I've had the same question. I'm still shooting with my 6D and honestly don't know what I'll do when it dies. One of my issues is that my Lightroom apparently won't recognize newer format files. But I would probably buy used with prices so high. But I'd probably buy somewhere that allows returns.

I will add that apparently you can use the nice glass on a mirrorless with an adapter. I'm very tempted to go that direction since I have a couple really sharp lenses that only work on a crop sensor and I mostly shoot full frame now.

Canon has already stated that the corporate direction is mirrorless across the entire line. The next top of the line professional model, the 1D, will be mirrorless. The DSLR will still be around for a while, but long-term they will become obsolete.

-Paul

I've had the same question. I'm still shooting with my 6D and honestly don't know what I'll do when it dies. One of my issues is that my Lightroom apparently won't recognize newer format files. But I would probably buy used with prices so high. But I'd probably buy somewhere that allows returns.
which version of Lightroom are you using? I gave in and pay for the monthly cloud plan. I like it. I use the physical apps though. I don't use the cloud storage at all. I only edit on my 1 Mac. I'm pleased with it for 2 years now.

I really am thinking of buying used.

I will add that apparently you can use the nice glass on a mirrorless with an adapter. I'm very tempted to go that direction since I have a couple really sharp lenses that only work on a crop sensor and I mostly shoot full frame now.
I have thought about that also. I have read about that.

Canon has already stated that the corporate direction is mirrorless across the entire line. The next top of the line professional model, the 1D, will be mirrorless. The DSLR will still be around for a while, but long-term they will become obsolete.

-Paul
Read. that also. I totally get that is the way things are going. I just don't know if I want to go that direction. I have alot sunk into L lens from canon. My stupid train of thought was the 7D has lasted me what 13 plus years and still going. If I want a full frame and I go with the 5D I'm good for hopefully 15 years. By then I won't mind giving up and starting over cause all my gear will be 25 plus years old. I got my money worth. I know horrible way of thinking about this.

I just don't think I can drop 3-4 grand to go mirrorless for a body.

which version of Lightroom are you using? I gave in and pay for the monthly cloud plan. I like it. I use the physical apps though. I don't use the cloud storage at all. I only edit on my 1 Mac. I'm pleased with it for 2 years now.

I really am thinking of buying used.
I have Lightroom 5. I bought it 8 years ago for around $60. Over that time a monthly subscription would have cost me $960. I'm just too cheap and stubborn to subscribe. I understand there was a Lightroom 6 and I occasionally see copies come up on Ebay.

(Knock wood) my 6D is hanging in there and I still love it, so keep delaying really drilling down on the issue to see what I can do with the program I have already, or maybe a copy of LR6. It's sad, but I will likely choose my camera based on which program I will be able to use.

I have Lightroom 5. I bought it 8 years ago for around $60. Over that time a monthly subscription would have cost me $960. I'm just too cheap and stubborn to subscribe. I understand there was a Lightroom 6 and I occasionally see copies come up on Ebay.

(Knock wood) my 6D is hanging in there and I still love it, so keep delaying really drilling down on the issue to see what I can do with the program I have already, or maybe a copy of LR6. It's sad, but I will likely choose my camera based on which program I will be able to use.
I was holding onto LR also but I had to buy a new mac and the OS wasn't supporting the version of LR I had. I hear ya though. I caved. I hate that I caved but I did. My 7D is totally fine. I should prob just shut up and use it till it dies. lol

I was holding onto LR also but I had to buy a new mac and the OS wasn't supporting the version of LR I had. I hear ya though. I caved. I hate that I caved but I did. My 7D is totally fine. I should prob just shut up and use it till it dies. lol
You're going through exactly what I am. I live in fear of my computer dying because of LR and one other program that I know can't be replaced. I might even have to consider a used 6D when mine dies. Lol.

I have alot sunk into L lens from canon.

R lenses for the mirrorless bodies have lots of advantages, including about 1 f-stop faster than L lenses. With mirrorless, you can combine in-body image stabilization with in-lens image stabilization.

-Paul

R lenses for the mirrorless bodies have lots of advantages, including about 1 f-stop faster than L lenses. With mirrorless, you can combine in-body image stabilization with in-lens image stabilization.

-Paul
that was like a 10k post. lol once u buy a new body and 2-3 lens.

I have owned a 5D Mark II, Mark III, and Mark IV, plus a 7D and a 7D Mark II, and an R5. I believe that you'll notice a considerable improvement between a 7D and a 5D Mark IV. In fact, until the 5DM4, I used my 7D's when I wanted the extra "reach" that a crop gives, but with the 5DM4, I felt that even after cropping I had a better image than the 7DM2. Just remember than none of your EF-S lenses will mount on the 5D.

With my R5, I continue to use some of my EF lenses. The adapters work well. That said, almost all of the native RF lenses are significantly better (and much, much more expensive) than the EF lenses.

What would you be missing with a 5D instead of an R5? For me, the biggest differences include video, which the mirror cameras do much better. Speed - 20fps electronic shutter is amazing, although it's darned annoying in post when you've got so many pictures to sort through. And I don't think you can slow it down, so shooting something like a wedding with electronic shutter (because it is silent) leaves you with an absurd amount of virtually duplicate images. You also don't get the in-body stabilization. In terms of image quality, I feel like the R5 is an incremental improvement over the 5DM4. But to be honest, people obsess too much about the potential IQ of their camera and don't spend enough time learning to best use the tools they have.

I think getting a used 5DM4 for a good price and sticking with the lenses you have is a good plan. It keeps costs down and gives you a significant boost over your existing kit. Alternatively, you could try to pick up a used R6 an adapter and start down the RF route, but that'll be significantly more expensive. The latter becomes much more tempting if you plan to start shooting a lot of video.

Good luck.

-Paul

and you can use all those older EF lenses with "R" bodies

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter