Canadian ticket offer redemption-ID question

22Tink

BC, Canada
Have any fellow Canadians recently redeemed their ticket voucher? I know I'll need to go to the turnstiles to do so but I'm wondering what the experiences have been regarding ID. Are they firm on wanting passports or have people been able to use their driver's licence? In the past I've always bought my tickets through Ares travel and only ever needed a DL and credit card. I'd rather keep our passports in the hotel safe if I can! Thanks in advance!

They asked for ID but only looked at DH's passport and told me and DS to put ours away. After that we were known Canadians for the rest of the trip! I would imagine the passport is easier and more universal?

We redeemed our tickets purchased through WestJet at the ticket booth last week. We had our passports and my husband's permanent resident card. They only looked at my husband's ID. We didn't need ID for the rest of the trip

Have any fellow Canadians recently redeemed their ticket voucher? I know I'll need to go to the turnstiles to do so but I'm wondering what the experiences have been regarding ID. Are they firm on wanting passports or have people been able to use their driver's licence? In the past I've always bought my tickets through Ares travel and only ever needed a DL and credit card. I'd rather keep our passports in the hotel safe if I can! Thanks in advance!

Suggestion: For safety, you should check with the Ticket Booth to see if you need to exchange your voucher at the ticket booth for tickets. Do not assume that you can get in by presenting vouchers at the gate regardless of what you are told.

What Happened to Us (just returned from July visit): We went down the night BEFORE our 1st park day and asked the CM at the entrance gate if all we needed to do was to present our Canadian Voucher and passport in the morning for entry. The CM confirmed yes.

The next day we were at the gates by 6:30 am for the 7:00 am magic morning entry. We were the 2nd family from the turnstile but when we tried to enter, we were told to go to the ticket booth and exchange our vouchers for park tickets. We wasted 30 precious magic morning minutes at the ticket booth because the CM had trouble finding our tickets. Needless to say, we were very upset especially since we dragged our kids out of bed at 5:00 am to get to the parks by 6:30 am for our 1st park day! Not a good start to our trip ... and we were so excited to be at the gates by 6:30 am before the park opened ... that was the one and only time we managed to get to the parks early ... the kids were too tired on the other days. :-(

As for the passports, the passports are checked once (on the 1st park day) and from that point onwards you do NOT need to present your passport on the remaining days to gain entry to the parks.

This is what happens on subsequent park days (after 1st park day): When you present your park tickets for entry on subsequent park days, the CM will confirm "yes" on their "large" screens when they are prompted to confirm Canadian Passport. On their hand held scanners, your photo will pop up.

Good luck and have fun! :-)

Edited to Add: We had to present our passports at the ticket booth to get our park tickets. We again had to present our passports at the entrance gate (1st day only) when we entered the parks.

I really suggest that you bring your passports on your 1st park day for "just in case" purposes. Although I understand your desire to keep your passports safe (I too would have preferred to not bring our passports to the park), you risk wasting precious time going back to your hotel to get your passports IF the CM does not allow you into the parks based on your driver's license ID. Every CM is different. Just my 2 cents as I regret not going the extra step of checking at the ticket booth IN ADDITION to checking at the entrance gate the night before our 1st park day. I assumed what the entrance gate CM told me was correct so I did not bother checking with the ticket booth CM. :-)

Last edited:
Suggestion: For safety, you should check with the Ticket Booth to see if you need to exchange your voucher at the ticket booth for tickets. Do not assume that you can get in by presenting vouchers at the gate regardless of what you are told.

What Happened to Us (just returned from July visit): We went down the night BEFORE our 1st park day and asked the CM at the entrance gate if all we needed to do was to present our Canadian Voucher and passport in the morning for entry. The CM confirmed yes.

The next day we were at the gates by 6:30 am for the 7:00 am magic morning entry. We were the 2nd family from the turnstile but when we tried to enter, we were told to go to the ticket booth and exchange our vouchers for park tickets. We wasted 30 precious magic morning minutes at the ticket booth because the CM had trouble finding our tickets. Needless to say, we were very upset especially since we dragged our kids out of bed at 5:00 am to get to the parks by 6:30 am for our 1st park day! Not a good start to our trip ... and we were so excited to be at the gates by 6:30 am before the park opened ... that was the one and only time we managed to get to the parks early ... the kids were too tired on the other days. :-(

As for the passports, the passports are checked once (on the 1st park day) and from that point onwards you do NOT need to present your passport on the remaining days to gain entry to the parks.

This is what happens on subsequent park days (after 1st park day): When you present your park tickets for entry on subsequent park days, the CM will confirm "yes" on their "large" screens when they are prompted to confirm Canadian Passport. On their hand held scanners, your photo will pop up.

Edited to Add: We had to present our passports at the ticket booth to get our park tickets. We again had to present our passports at the entrance gate (1st day only) when we entered the parks.

I really suggest that you bring your passports on your 1st park day for "just in case" purposes. Although I understand your desire to keep your passports safe (I too would have preferred to not bring our passports to the park), you risk wasting precious time going back to your hotel to get your passports IF the CM does not allow you into the parks based on your driver's license ID. Every CM is different. Just my 2 cents as I regret not going the extra step of checking at the ticket booth IN ADDITION to checking at the entrance gate the night before our 1st park day. I assumed what the entrance gate CM told me was correct so I did not bother checking with the ticket booth CM. :-)
Thanks for the info! I'd already decided to take the passports. Better safe than sorry!!

My eticket specifically states to take it to the turnstiles.

"Each Disney eTicket or electronic ticket purchased on the Disneyland mobile app allows one entry at a Disneyland® Theme Park turnstile."

The tickets are also already linked in my Disneyland app so that makes sense. My ares travel tickets were always at the booth so this is a change from what I'm used to but I'm happy to save that step!

Is there a way to specifically tell if hard copy tickets are from the Canadian offer? I redeemed 3 from Airmiles, but it does not indicate they are from the Canadian ticket offer like my DisneyWorld tickets do.

Is there a way to specifically tell if hard copy tickets are from the Canadian offer? I redeemed 3 from Airmiles, but it does not indicate they are from the Canadian ticket offer like my DisneyWorld tickets do.
Good observation! My email confirmation from Disney says they're Canadian resident tickets but the actual tickets linked in my app don't. Do you actually have your paper tickets already or just the vouchers?

We were there beginning of July and presented with passports; this particular CM said driver's licenses would have been fine. We didn't need ID the rest of the time.
On a different note, if you wish to purchase alcohol, Disney requires a passport and does not accept Canadian licenses as proof of age under 35.

On a different note, if you wish to purchase alcohol, Disney requires a passport and does not accept Canadian licenses as proof of age under 35.

Good point and great reminder! DH purchased a beer in DCA but no one mistakes him for under 35 lol :)

We had Airmiles tickets from the Canadian Resident offer. They were hard tickets with no indication of where they came from or a dollar value. However, when we upgraded to AP's, the CM that scanned them knew they were the discounted tickets and applied that value accordingly.

Mamma Bear, that's awful what happened to you with getting your tickets on magic morning. So frustrating and ugh!

We are doing the same where our first day is our magic morning. Do they let you transfer the Canadian printout for the ticket the night before? This is what I am thinking since we're transfering to Anaheim the afternoon before our first park day. That way too we don't have to bring our passports while on the rides, etc

Also do you have to do anything to link your tickets to the app? From what I remember Disney sends you an email link to get your voucher for printing so it's with your email but not sure if it's there when signing into the app.

This is what they told me:

In order to use your eTickets all you need to do is take these to the
main entrance of either park, along with your passport. The eTicket will
be scanned there and then exchanged out for your actual park ticket
which can be used inside the park. Once you get that printed out ticket,
you can then link that to your Disneyland App to see your FASTPASS
reservations, or purchase the Disney MaxPass.
Thank you for contacting Disney! Have a magical day!

The tickets are showing up on my disneyland app but are probably not "linked" for the purpose of Maxpass,etc. They didn't mention anything about ticket window vs turnstile.

Mamma Bear, that's awful what happened to you with getting your tickets on magic morning. So frustrating and ugh!

We are doing the same where our first day is our magic morning. Do they let you transfer the Canadian printout for the ticket the night before? This is what I am thinking since we're transfering to Anaheim the afternoon before our first park day. That way too we don't have to bring our passports while on the rides, etc

Hi ... thanks for your sympathies! Yes ... it did ruin our excitement about getting to the gates at 6:30 am for the 7:00 am early entry. We are always late for everything and we were so excited and proud of ourselves for making it to the gates at 6:30 am (recall we never made it early again the rest of our trip because the kids were too tired). I wanted to cry when everyone counted down and rushed in through the gates and I had get out of line and head towards the ticket booth.

I "think" they will allow you to trade in your Canadian voucher ahead of time so you don't need to do it the morning of your 1st park day.

However, for safety, if you have the time, I would just go the day before your 1st park day and check at the ticket booth and see what the CM says. If this is your 1st trip, it would be a good idea to map out your plan for getting to the parks and do a "trial run" of getting to the parks. We had initially thought to take the trams in the morning but decided to walk to the parks after our "trial run" to the parks the night before our 1st park day.

Also, remember, it took the CM (and the supervisor) a very long time to find our tickets for some reason so you probably don't want to be trying to get your tickets the morning of your 1st park day as you don't know how long it will take (I got worried that they would never find our tickets).

As for the passports, I would BRING your passports on your 1st park day REGARDLESS of whether or not you have actual park tickets OR vouchers in your hand. This is "just in case" as you do not want to be running back to your hotel to get your passports if you are denied entry for not having your passports.

Please note that we had to show our passports at the ticket booth to trade our vouchers for tickets AND that we had to show our passports at the entrance gate when we 1st used our park tickets. Those who were able to trade their vouchers at the entrance gate for park tickets also reported needing to show their passports.

Therefore, I strongly suggest you bring your passports with you on your 1st park day. To enter your chosen park on your 1st day, you will need to show it at the entrance gate and then you may store your passports safely away in your purse/bag as you will not need to show passports again to park hop that same day. On subsequent park days, you may store your passports safely at your hotel as they will not ask to see your passports again. Consequently, carrying your passports will be inconvenient but only for the 1st park day and will be considered a minor inconvenience compared to being forced to return to your hotel to get your passports if you are denied entry.

Please excuse my preaching ... I'm just trying to help another family avoid the heartache of being turned away at the gates on their 1st park morning!

Hi ... thanks for your sympathies! Yes ... it did ruin our excitement about getting to the gates at 6:30 am for the 7:00 am early entry. We are always late for everything and we were so excited and proud of ourselves for making it to the gates at 6:30 am (recall we never made it early again the rest of our trip because the kids were too tired). I wanted to cry when everyone counted down and rushed in through the gates and I had get out of line and head towards the ticket booth.

I "think" they will allow you to trade in your Canadian voucher ahead of time so you don't need to do it the morning of your 1st park day.

However, for safety, if you have the time, I would just go the day before your 1st park day and check at the ticket booth and see what the CM says. If this is your 1st trip, it would be a good idea to map out your plan for getting to the parks and do a "trial run" of getting to the parks. We had initially thought to take the trams in the morning but decided to walk to the parks after our "trial run" to the parks the night before our 1st park day.

Also, remember, it took the CM (and the supervisor) a very long time to find our tickets for some reason so you probably don't want to be trying to get your tickets the morning of your 1st park day as you don't know how long it will take (I got worried that they would never find our tickets).

As for the passports, I would BRING your passports on your 1st park day REGARDLESS of whether or not you have actual park tickets OR vouchers in your hand. This is "just in case" as you do not want to be running back to your hotel to get your passports if you are denied entry for not having your passports.

Please note that we had to show our passports at the ticket booth to trade our vouchers for tickets AND that we had to show our passports at the entrance gate when we 1st used our park tickets. Those who were able to trade their vouchers at the entrance gate for park tickets also reported needing to show their passports.

Therefore, I strongly suggest you bring your passports with you on your 1st park day. To enter your chosen park on your 1st day, you will need to show it at the entrance gate and then you may store your passports safely away in your purse/bag as you will not need to show passports again to park hop that same day. On subsequent park days, you may store your passports safely at your hotel as they will not ask to see your passports again. Consequently, carrying your passports will be inconvenient but only for the 1st park day and will be considered a minor inconvenience compared to being forced to return to your hotel to get your passports if you are denied entry.

Please excuse my preaching ... I'm just trying to help another family avoid the heartache of being turned away at the gates on their 1st park morning!

Oh no...and to think this one time you were early. Makes it suck even that much more. :-(

Thanks for mentioning to all to just bring the passport on the first day using the tickets. We are like you too in that our first park day will be the day we are trying magic morning. Yeah...it's our first time at Disneyland. Staying across the street but still good to know where we are going.

Does this mean that if you're over 35 they'll accept a driver's license? I'd rather not have to bring my passport to the parks, but I thought you needed a passport for alcohol regardless of age...

Good point and great reminder! DH purchased a beer in DCA but no one mistakes him for under 35 lol :)

We had Airmiles tickets from the Canadian Resident offer. They were hard tickets with no indication of where they came from or a dollar value. However, when we upgraded to AP's, the CM that scanned them knew they were the discounted tickets and applied that value accordingly.

Here is my experience from last week. We got to the park about 45 minutes before opening and went to the ticket booth. The lady at the ticket booth told us we could go directly to the turnstile. At the turnstile, he scanned our ticket and it showed on his screen that we needed to show our passport. He checked our passports, pressed ok/confirm on his screen, took our picture, and we were on our way. When we came to the park on following days (or park-hopped), the same check passport message appeared (along with the picture taken on the first day), but we were never asked to see them again.

Does this mean that if you're over 35 they'll accept a driver's license? I'd rather not have to bring my passport to the parks, but I thought you needed a passport for alcohol regardless of age...
No. For alcohol, Servers at Disneyland card anyone who appears to be under the age of 35. Sometimes they will card an entire group, regardless of age. My kids (27-31) are always carded by new servers (most older servers know them.) If you are a young looking 40, expect to be carded. If you do not carry a US driver's license, you will need your passport. California does not recognize foreign licenses as valid ID for purchasing alcohol or identification.

Each person will need an ID that shows they are Canadian the first time you enter, they take your picture and associate it to your ticket, so you shouldn't need it again, but this does mean if there are kids they may need their passports for first entry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter