Canadian Health Care System

I get tired reading all this stuff .
I'm just going to gracefully slide away.....the arguments are pointless and futile.
I want to think about happy, non-confrontational Disney stuff !:dance3: :banana: :worship: :yay:

I get tired reading all this stuff .
I'm just going to gracefully slide away.....the arguments are pointless and futile.
I want to think about happy, non-confrontational Disney stuff !:dance3: :banana: :worship: :yay:

Can I hear an Amen!! I joined these boards (esp the Canadian boards) to have fun, not fight. Not to debate but to have fun.

I'm out...

We are not trying to change your mind, Ducklite. We are just as adamant in our view of our own health care here. We stand up for it as you stand up for yours.

I would not switch to your type of health care even if it meant that I would have a bigger house, more $$$ in the bank and shorter waits...I just would not, because I don't want to worry about the What IF's...

I have always appreciated how much Americans are proud of their Country, display the Flag and respect the Presidency even though they may not respect the actual President...BUT, We are so proud of our health care, it's a part of us.

Imagine that to us, Our health care is as important as your constitution, your free speech and your right to bear arms is to most Americans. You would all fight to keep those things and we would fight tooth and nail to keep our health coverage. It's just who we are as a people.

I have found health care to be the one unifying truth between all Canadian. It's not perfect but it's ours. We might disagree on Politics, religion and which hockey team is the best but we all stand by the rights of all Canadians to have health care...It's who we are. It's a CANADIAN IDENTITY...

We can't make anyone change their mind and unless you lived here, you can't really get it. It's a Canadian thing.

Yes, almost every insurance has all sort of co-pays for every situation: doctor's visits, prescriptions, hospitalizations, emergency room visits, ambulance rides etc. Many of the co-pays must be paid upfront before being seen. So, basically most of us with health insurance are not only paying huge monthly premiums, we are shelling out money every time we use the benefits we are already paying for.

Wait it gets better - some insurances pay a set amount, say 80%, depending on which providers you go to. So, if you go to a "preferred" provider they will pay more of the bill. However, that 80% is based on what the insurance company thinks is a reasonable amount and not what the fee actually is. When I had this type of insurance the 80% for preferred providers usually turned out to be 60%We switiched to HMOs because it was more reasonable for our families and we always knew uprfront what the copays would be.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm really glad that we've just always had it here since before I was born and I don't need to give it a second thought or factor it into any other life style decisions. I can see where so many things would be impacted by your health insurance or lack thereof.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm really glad that we've just always had it here since before I was born and I don't need to give it a second thought or factor it into any other life style decisions. I can see where so many things would be impacted by your health insurance or lack thereof.

Damo, love your dog pictures. Can I ask, what is Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure? Is it a ride, or a new section of the park? Sounds cool.

I'm out...

We are not trying to change your mind, Ducklite. We are just as adamant in our view of our own health care here. We stand up for it as you stand up for yours.

I would not switch to your type of health care even if it meant that I would have a bigger house, more $$$ in the bank and shorter waits...I just would not, because I don't want to worry about the What IF's...

I have always appreciated how much Americans are proud of their Country, display the Flag and respect the Presidency even though they may not respect the actual President...BUT, We are so proud of our health care, it's a part of us.

Imagine that to us, Our health care is as important as your constitution, your free speech and your right to bear arms is to most Americans. You would all fight to keep those things and we would fight tooth and nail to keep our health coverage. It's just who we are as a people.

I have found health care to be the one unifying truth between all Canadian. It's not perfect but it's ours. We might disagree on Politics, religion and which hockey team is the best but we all stand by the rights of all Canadians to have health care...It's who we are. It's a CANADIAN IDENTITY...

We can't make anyone change their mind and unless you lived here, you can't really get it. It's a Canadian thing.

Well said!
For me, I will 'agree to disagree' with Ducklite and her stance.
I too 'AM OUT'!:thumbsup2

I'm out...

I hope it becomes an American thing some day...

Thank you all for taking the time to explain your health care system to those of us unfamiliar with the process. I think it sounds very interesting and I really hope the US moves more in that direction in the future.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread. Canadians have a lot to be proud of.

We have our insurance through DH's job. They have 13,000 employees and 7-8 plans to choose from. That's a lot of leverage with the various insurers to put their very best plan on the table at teh best possible price. If each county/parish became a buying consortium that allowed the currently un and under-insured residents to choose from 2-3 plans (more in very dense population areas) don't you think the insurers would put thier best foot forward to try to get and retain that business?

For 8 years, I toiled as a 'part-timer' at my job (worked 40+ hours per week, just no benefits or vacation), before I was promoted to full-time. During this period, I helped co-workers look into a self-funded benefits package, and was shocked to see the monthly costs. Even after pooling similar employees province wide, they costs were astronomical for the service provided. To get 80% coverage for meds, a bump from ward to semi-private, and a decent vision package, it was $200+ per month, and more if you had a family. I have been full-time for 7 years now, and get these benefits included in my package. I have had $700 billed to my holder, during this time, so I would have paid out an extra $20300 over the same period had I not received benefits from my employer, and bought myself.

There are roughly 60 000 people in my immediate area, and roughly 25 insurance companies. Auto insurance is mandatory, and each company provides a half dozen different options. We have a small fraction of the accidents in our area of Ontario, yet we pay similar rates to higher metropolitan areas. I have paid $36 000 in auto insurance over the past 20 years, without a claim, and most of my friends can say the same. These insurance companies haven't refunded us, or cut our rates drastically, because they are in the business to make money. Insurance companies aren't in the business because they want to help, but because they survive on people's fears. How will I get get by if I lose my car? What if my house burned down? They usually offer a fraction of your entitlement, with the hope you will agree to it, and then only offer up more if you are willing to fight them. Law firms across the USA and Canada make millions in cases against insurance companies, because they refuse to pay, or under value your claim.
As far as the 3% profit your holder claims to......the top ranked HMO provider in the USA is Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, a 'non-profit' corporation, that made a profit of $50M last year, after $40M/yr since 2001. Its CEO pulls in a dandy 6 figure salary each year, because he took a company that lost $200M in 1999, and in 2 years, turned them into a 'non-profit' money making machine. How did he turn them around? Increasing premiums by 12% per year over 5 years, and cutting payouts. The first person an insurance company hires when they want to increase profits.. a lawyer, the second... a banker. HPHC's CEO was a state money man.

I haven't read the entire thread so do not know if this has already been pointed out to our American friends weighing in on the topic. In 2004 the CBC ran a series in determining who was the Greatest Canadian. There were many people who received consideration such as Terry Fox, Alexander Graham Bell (we share him with the U.S. and Scotland), Sir John A. Macdonald but the clear winner is someone who most Americans would not recognize - Tommy Douglas. The man responsible for bringing universal health care to Canada was voted the Greatest Canadian. It is clear that Canadians cherish the premise that all people are deserving of health care and that the decisions regarding their health are made by themselves and doctors not accountants.

Thank you all for taking the time to explain your health care system to those of us unfamiliar with the process. I think it sounds very interesting and I really hope the US moves more in that direction in the future.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread. Canadians have a lot to be proud of.

Thanks Peg.

I have had the pleasure of experiencing both health care systems and see the pluses and minuses of both.

Currently - I'm back in Canada and while (thank the heavens) my health is good, it is something that I don't even worry about about up here in Canada. I know if I were take a turn for the worse, I'd be well cared for... and that's invaluable to me.

Knox

for the person who stated that Canadians were over-taxed (or taxed to death) partially due to UHC. For a middle class income (say $70000) we pay 22% federally, and 9% provincially (here anyway), for 31%. The USA rate for this group is 25% (28% if married and filing separate), and depending on which state there is also state income tax (Michigan is 2.6%). A Canadian from Ontario would pay $21700, while their counterpart in Michigan would pay $19320 ($21420 if filing individually). Hardly a drastic difference, and as the income increases, the separation decreases. We are relatively low, compared to many European Countries, where income tax rates can reach 60%.

Dig:

That's an interesting comparison but it doesn't tell the whole picture.

Our sales tax rates on everything from cars to twinkies are also much higher (pretty much double), as are the taxes on liquor and cigarettes (the sin-taxes)... also .. pretty much double.

Plus Americans can claim mortgage interest paid as a tax deduction, in fact, Americans have a LOT of tax deductions that do not apply here in Canada. Amercicans can reduce their overall tax liability thru a plethora of legal tax deductions that would really be nice to have up here.

Gotta factor all that in.

Knox

If this question has been asked before I apologize--for someone who is Canadian, if they come to the United States is there health coverage while in the States if they get sick? A friend has elderly parents who live in Toronto, and he is thinking of bringing them down for the winter to stay here--but is concerned that if they get sick that they won't have coverage. Does anyone know? Is there a time limit you can stay in the States before the coverage (if it exists) would expire?

Thanks!

We all have to buy travel health insurance when travelling to the US.

I won't set one toe in the US without it.

We are covered by DH's plan at work (He has a plan that covers eye exam, glasses, prescriptions, physio, insert for his shoes, etc and it covers us for travel but my Gold credit card does too.

My parents are older and have had some health issues and they stay in the US for 6 months a year and it costs them about $1800 for the two of them for this insurance.

yes, we have the provincial sales tax and goods and service tax, but Michigan sports there own 6% sales tax, and a use tax as well. In many areas of the USA (say Florida) there is a state sales tax, as well as select county taxes (the 12% accomodation taxes for certain WDW resorts), and road tolls. We too have several rebates like the child recreation tax credit that they don't get. We get hit hard on alcohol and tobacco, but the prices of many other things are creeping closer together.
Add to this, our median household income is $53,528, compared to $48,000 in the USA (as per Wikipedia). I'm just saying, we aren't that much different in an economic comparison, and our tax dollar includes a UHC, road maintenance, etc. This is a common misconception about our country, that is protrayed every time the Raptors/Jays attempt to sign a free agent. "Don't go there you'll be taxed to death", yet our top bracket is lower than many American states. Having a UHC alone gives us a better bang for the buck, at least in my eyes.

Here is another thread on the community board that makes the case for a UHC...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1712637

Yes, I've thought about that too. We have Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I'm just so tired of them raising our rates every year, plus now raising them just because we're in a new "age bracket." I'm sure they will raise it again in August when it's our policy anniversary. We were paying approximately $1578every quarter (for the two of us) and this time they want $1970. What are they going to want in August? I know ours is cheaper than some, but more expensive than others. Just makes me mad they can charge so

That is OVER $6000 a year...Insane. I pay taxes but I don't pay this amount just for health care unless the get a lot of it from taxes on merchandise...

This is the MAIN reason I love our health care. When someone gets older and they raise the rates, some must drop their insurance...We tend to care more for the elderly around here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter