Canadian Disney Gift Cards

Use your AM to pay for your groceries and then take the value of the AM used and put that into an envelope. When you have enough to justify the trip take that cash and put it on to Disney GC. That way you are using your AM for Disney GC.(in a round about manner). That's the way I rationalize things anyway.

Great idea!!! Thanks!

I have seen the Disney gift cards at ALL of my Shoppers in Guelph - the loadable ones & in most of the stores i've wandered thru while in the PATH in Toronto.

Ah, I forgot Guelph was still in Southwestern Ontario! LOL

Now THAT method is much less confusing than the one i was trying to awkwardly explain!! That way you can buy the gift card at ANY location you happen to spot it!! :worship:

I know!!! LOL They sell them at our Zehrs, I'll just do that! LOL

Has anyone received an error when trying to transfer one Gift Card to another? It's telling me "Sorry one of your cards isn't eligible for transfer."

I was able to add my Canadian Disney Gift Card onto my account no problem, but as soon as I try transferring it to an already existing US Disney Gift Card (I did this very same transaction 2 weeks ago with no problem and the card I'm transferring it to has less than a $50 balance on it, so I'm not over the limit)

I've logged in and out several times to no avail. What am I missing???

Has anyone received an error when trying to transfer one Gift Card to another? It's telling me "Sorry one of your cards isn't eligible for transfer."

I was able to add my Canadian Disney Gift Card onto my account no problem, but as soon as I try transferring it to an already existing US Disney Gift Card (I did this very same transaction 2 weeks ago with no problem and the card I'm transferring it to has less than a $50 balance on it, so I'm not over the limit)

I've logged in and out several times to no avail. What am I missing???

Yes it seems to be an issue that’s cropped up today. Hopefully it’s a glitch but it’s possivle Disney has taken that little money saver tip from us.

Yes it seems to be an issue that’s cropped up today. Hopefully it’s a glitch but it’s possivle Disney has taken that little money saver tip from us.

I hope its just a glitch. It doesn't cost Disney anything, and we're the ones losing money because of the exchange. Once its converted, its like any other US Disney Gift Card and we should be able to transfer it to any other US Disney Card no problem.

ETA: In the end its no big deal, I'll just have to carry around more than one Disney Gift Card.
o_O

ETA: OK, I just tried to transfer again today and I'm not 100% sure but I think my balance is changing, so its as if they aren't allowing the exchange to lock in, but its fluctuating???!!! NOOOOOO! :furious:

Last edited:

If it hasn’t been transferred to the usd card then it will fluctuate every day.

OK, so how do we stop it then? We can't? Disney's blocking our Canadian Cards for transferring now???!!!
And I believe whatever cards I was able to transfer over to a US card might still be fluctuating with the exchange rate! :sad:

Last edited:
I just played with mine. Will not let me transfer from CAD to US either, but the 3 cards I have with US balances on them are still the same amounts as before.

OK, so how do we stop it then? We can't? Disney's blocking our Canadian Cards for transferring now???!!!
And I believe whatever cards I was able to transfer over to a US card might still be fluctuating with the exchange rate! :sad:

So I just checked my balances. The CDN amount I transferred to the US card remains the same so at least that balance is locked in. Hopefully this thing with the DisneyGiftCard site is just a temporary glitch.

I've been trying to think of a reason why Disney would stop allowing the transferring of Canadian gift cards to US gift cards. I can't come up with any sort of reason. Each time the funds are transferred, it is done at the market value for the day. I don't see them losing any sort of money - I actually see them gaining some money because some Canadian's are trying to lock in their $US spending money and possibly are buying more gift cards than they really need...

I emailed them and just got this response:

"Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. At this time you cannot merge a Disney Gift Card purchased in Canada to a Disney Gift Card purchased in the U.S. or vise vera. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I've been trying to think of a reason why Disney would stop allowing the transferring of Canadian gift cards to US gift cards. I can't come up with any sort of reason. Each time the funds are transferred, it is done at the market value for the day. I don't see them losing any sort of money - I actually see them gaining some money because some Canadian's are trying to lock in their $US spending money and possibly are buying more gift cards than they really need...

My DH made a good point, he said by allowing our Canadian gift card balance to fluctuate, if its not worth as much by the time we use it in Disney, that means we have to SPEND MORE to make up for that loss. :sad2:

I emailed them and just got this response:

"Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. At this time you cannot merge a Disney Gift Card purchased in Canada to a Disney Gift Card purchased in the U.S. or vise vera. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Thanks for emailing them. They obviously realized what we were doing and put a stop to it, cause everyone here was doing up until a few weeks ago!

BTW, I just checked my Canadian Disney Gift Card's balance (the one I wasn't able to transfer) and the balance is definitely fluctuating!>:( But interestingly, the US Disney Gift Card I was able to transfer a Canadian Disney Gift Card to a month or so ago, is not fluctuating. So it would seem I may have dodged one bullet there.

My DH made a good point, he said by allowing our Canadian gift card balance to fluctuate, if its not worth as much by the time we use it in Disney, that means we have to SPEND MORE to make up for that loss. :sad2:
I'm not sure Disney would actually benefit from that. If a t-shirt is $10 at Disney its $10 whether the rate is $1.00 or $1.35. While it may cost us more Disney doesn't get more from the purchase. We don't have to buy Disney GC's, we could just purchase US $'s so the rate of exchange is up to the purchaser as to buying the GC in CND and waiting to see what the rate is or buying US now to protect our rate. Disney is still going to get the same amount. There must be some other reason or perhaps its just a short term glitch.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what your DH means and if I am I will apologize now.

I would think that Disney would encourage people to invest in gift cards and transfer the funds in order to encourage more spending while people are visiting the parks. The money is "locked into" Disney after the gift card purchases are made.

For now, I've stopped purchasing gift cards and will simply use my credit card when I get to Orlando to pay for any other purchases, which I can scale back as needed to compensate for the exchange rate. (end result for Disney is less spending on my part at the Disney resorts/parks)

I'm not sure Disney would actually benefit from that. If a t-shirt is $10 at Disney its $10 whether the rate is $1.00 or $1.35. While it may cost us more Disney doesn't get more from the purchase. We don't have to buy Disney GC's, we could just purchase US $'s so the rate of exchange is up to the purchaser as to buying the GC in CND and waiting to see what the rate is or buying US now to protect our rate. Disney is still going to get the same amount. There must be some other reason or perhaps its just a short term glitch.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what your DH means and if I am I will apologize now.

No apologies necessary. I don't quite understand what he means either. lol I guess he figures because of the exchange rate, Disney knows we'll have to spend more to get more? But your right, at $10 shirt is still a $10 shirt.

Huh. Well I guess I'm not purchasing another Canadian Disney Gift Card then. It's been at least 2 weeks (I think) since I purchased and transferred my balance to a US gift card. I just checked and my balance is the same. I needed at least another $50 US darn it.

Huh. Well I guess I'm not purchasing another Canadian Disney Gift Card then. It's been at least 2 weeks (I think) since I purchased and transferred my balance to a US gift card. I just checked and my balance is the same. I needed at least another $50 US darn it.

I don't know if there's a difference or not, but I did buy 2 different kinds of Canadian Disney Gift Cards. The first one was an exact $50 card, that card transferred no problem and has not lost any balance. The 2nd and last one I purchased was a loadable card $25-$5000, I put $50 on it and that one will NOT transfer and I've already lost 9 cents in the last week.

So I'm curious if the $50 cards are still working at transferring? And you say your balance hasn't changed, we may have found a way out of Disney's purposeful 'glitch'!?

Anyone dare to try again??? I will when I have enough points to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!