Can you take benadryl and dramamine together?

jmurphy625

Mouseketeer
I get very motion sick and have dramamine for our flight tomorrow...but now I have a cold or allergies. My ears always hurt when I fly so I'm getting nervous. Claritin is just not cutting it. Will the benadryl help with the motion sickness??

Well, since Dramamine (regular Dramamine, that is) *contains* Benadryl, you'll likely overdose yourself if you do that.

Actually, Draminine is Benadryl (diphenhydramine) plus theophylline, which changes the chemical from diphenhydramine to dimenhydrinate. Both Benadryl and Dramamine are antihistamines.

Claritin is also an antihistamine, which is way too much antihistamine. What you want to prevent ear pain is a decongestant, and perhaps a mucolytic if you're really stuffy. Talk to your pharmacist; you're most likely to get a recommendation for Mucinex-D or a similar generic. It is worth it to get pseudoephedrine products from behind the counter -- as a decongestant, phenylephrine doesn't work nearly as well for most people.

Non-drowsy Dramamine is actually meclizine, which just keeps you from throwing up. You can take that with Benadryl, but there would be no reason to, because Benadryl will also prevent motion sickness.

Would using Ear Planes, or Ear Plugs help with pressure.
I have a young one battling sinus, ear and congestion now.

Is there any real help in motion sickness meds. My youngest reacted to the overheating and throwing up before we left the ground. The plane lost power and no airconditioning etc. If it is a bumpy ride too she is so ill. Last time they gave us a kitchen garbage bag, not a barf bag.

She does not take pills,

Even at Universal it was nearly `100* and she threw up before we got on one attraction. She gets car sick on a windy road, but can ride the Tea Cups?????

Yes, motion sickness meds do help eliminate nausea and vomiting, but meclizine cannot be given to kids under 12 without a prescription. Antihistamines are often helpful for kids because they *usually* make them sleep through the flight, and if you're sleeping you won't get motion sick. Motion sickness can be caused by different body systems, and no, it isn't that strange to react to rocking but not spinning. If it is really debilitating for her, she should see a neurologist who specializes in balance problems; they can do tests to pinpoint the cause of the motion sickness.

No motion sickness med is going to help someone who vomits because of overheating. The only thing that will prevent that problem is staying hydrated and not getting overheated. Cold compresses on pulse points can sometimes help a little, as can headache meds if she get headaches at the same time, also always keeping some kind of light starchy food in the stomach (such as a couple of saltines eaten about once an hour.)

Yes, motion sickness meds do help eliminate nausea and vomiting, but meclizine cannot be given to kids under 12 without a prescription. Antihistamines are often helpful for kids because they *usually* make them sleep through the flight, and if you're sleeping you won't get motion sick. Motion sickness can be caused by different body systems, and no, it isn't that strange to react to rocking but not spinning. If it is really debilitating for her, she should see a neurologist who specializes in balance problems; they can do tests to pinpoint the cause of the motion sickness.

No motion sickness med is going to help someone who vomits because of overheating. The only thing that will prevent that problem is staying hydrated and not getting overheated. Cold compresses on pulse points can sometimes help a little, as can headache meds if she get headaches at the same time, also always keeping some kind of light starchy food in the stomach (such as a couple of saltines eaten about once an hour.)

Thanks for the information.
She is 12, 100 lb almost 5 foot now. From the time she was a tiny infant just a few months old, she threw up traveling our curving, mountainous roads. She could not take the school bus home because it took the back swervy roads, but in the morning the pickup is a straight shot.

I think that is a great idea about hydrating and not getting hot. We could not control the loss of power in the plane, but could have had the fight attendent bring us ice packs.

I think I will buy a few of the ice packs you crack to activate. and have ziplocks with ice in the cooler with washcloths.

I read about the head bands that cool too.
thank you for the information
dianne

Well, since Dramamine (regular Dramamine, that is) *contains* Benadryl, you'll likely overdose yourself if you do that.

Actually, Draminine is Benadryl (diphenhydramine) plus theophylline, which changes the chemical from diphenhydramine to dimenhydrinate. Both Benadryl and Dramamine are antihistamines.

Claritin is also an antihistamine, which is way too much antihistamine. What you want to prevent ear pain is a decongestant, and perhaps a mucolytic if you're really stuffy. Talk to your pharmacist; you're most likely to get a recommendation for Mucinex-D or a similar generic. It is worth it to get pseudoephedrine products from behind the counter -- as a decongestant, phenylephrine doesn't work nearly as well for most people.

Non-drowsy Dramamine is actually meclizine, which just keeps you from throwing up. You can take that with Benadryl, but there would be no reason to, because Benadryl will also prevent motion sickness.

I second the above advice...
My daughter who gets motion sickness is also allergic to yellow #5,6 food dye. Since the children's dramamine is orange(yellow+red=orange) and contains yellow #5,6, her pediatrician said to give her Benedryl as it is basically the same thing as Dramamine. I always give her Benedryl(it's purple) when we travel and it has always worked. The drowsy side effect is also a bonus!!!;)
Her pediatrician also recommended Claritin as a non-drowsy alternative. We haven't tried it though.

For dye sensitive kids I swear by dye free benadryl. Meclazine (brand name Bonine) is what I take when I fly. I actually get sick when I take dramamine-it makes it worse. My daughter takes a psuedophed (just one) about half way through the flight. No problems with the landing that way. She used to cry and cry. Earplanes did nothing.
Listen to NotUrsula!
G

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter