Can we make a 12:30 flight from Vancouver after the cruise?

lisaradz

Mouseketeer
I have never been to the Vancouver airport. Is this cutting it too close? We are all adults, so we can walk our own bags off to save a little bit of time.

As long as there are no issues, you should have no problem.
We flew to Los Angeles on a 1pm flight from Vancouver, there were at least 20 of us from the cruise sitting around the terminal for a long time.

Doable, especially if it's not a three ship day.
  • 7am dock
  • 7:30am first passengers are allowed to walk the plank
  • 8:55am you want to be in that cab or on a train for the 30 to 40 minute trip to the airport.
  • 9:30am.... arrive at the airport 3hrs pre-flight for check-in, luggage, customs and your complimentary searches... checked, carry-on's, hand, electronics, medicinal, liquids, WMD's, NFL's, ULU's and the random VIP secondary experience.
  • 12:30pm.... wheels up with dreams on returning as you didn't budget enough time at your bonus port.
Which dining schedule are you on? 2nd dining means a later 8:15am breakfast.

FYI we made a 1pm flight with plenty of time to spare. This was on a 3 ship day and included a leisurely second dining breakfast and taking the Skytrain to the airport. You’ll be fine!

Doable, especially if it's not a three ship day.
  • 7am dock
  • 7:30am first passengers are allowed to walk the plank
  • 8:55am you want to be in that cab or on a train for the 30 to 40 minute trip to the airport.
  • 9:30am.... arrive at the airport 3hrs pre-flight for check-in, luggage, customs and your complimentary searches... checked, carry-on's, hand, electronics, medicinal, liquids, WMD's, NFL's, ULU's and the random VIP secondary experience.
  • 12:30pm.... wheels up with dreams on returning as you didn't budget enough time at your bonus port.
Which dining schedule are you on? 2nd dining means a later 8:15am breakfast.
Thank you everyone! This helps especially the link to DCL with the travel airline tips. We are late dining, but I'm sure we ca figure out breakfast and get something at the airport. DH is kind of a nervous traveler and I hate to have to feel rushed, but for now the only options on a direct flight are 12:30 or 8:00 pm and since we are spending 3 days prior touring vancouver, I think we will be ready to just get home.

You can definitely make it. Do early walk-off, take the elevator up to the hotel, grab a cab to the airport. By doing this, we easily made it in time for my Brother, Sil and their two kids to catch an 11:30 flight in July.

Thank you everyone! This helps especially the link to DCL with the travel airline tips. We are late dining, but I'm sure we ca figure out breakfast and get something at the airport. DH is kind of a nervous traveler and I hate to have to feel rushed, but for now the only options on a direct flight are 12:30 or 8:00 pm and since we are spending 3 days prior touring vancouver, I think we will be ready to just get home.
If you are in the 2nd feeding.... I would wolf down that 8:15 breakfast and try out off the plank by 8:35am.

Customs in Vancouver is quick..... however....
  • the gangway is a huge chokepoint with other cruisers trying to make the early afternoon flights.
  • looking for luggage can be an challenge. I wasted 20 minutes looking for my black luggage that was waiting for me in a mislabelled section.

Or if you have second seating just go eat breakfast at Cabanas. We did that on our Alaska cruise and saved quite a bit of time.

Or if you have second seating just go eat breakfast at Cabanas. We did that on our Alaska cruise and saved quite a bit of time.

That's what we do when we want to walk off early. Quick and easy. We made it to the airport with lots of time to spare, and I think we had an earlier flight than they recommended.

Is a 1030 flight too early? Quite a bit of savings here...
I'd do it. I see no problem getting to the airport by 830. We left the ship at 900 took the skytrain, and were at the airport by 945 and had to wait 4 hours for our flight. 1030 sounds great. I don't know if they have Uber in Canada, but I'd walk up the ramp to the Pan and Uber. The taxi line was long. The sky train was cheap and easy, but I find most people on here seem to turn their nose up:snooty: any form of public transportation. I guess you could hire a private limo to pick you up that always seems like a popular option on these boards.

From the waterfront station it is under 30 minute train to the airport with a maximum wait for a train of 20 minutes on weekends, 12 on weekdays. It looks like a two block walk to the station from the port. This is how we get to and from the airport.

Planning guide https://tripplanning.translink.ca

Hint: Starting point is Canada Place.

Last edited:
Is a 1030 flight too early? Quite a bit of savings here...

I wouldn't risk it. Too early IMO. You have to go through US customs/immigration in Vancouver on a weekday which can be time consuming. I'm sure someone has done it and made it work (probably several times), but you have no margin of error at all. If you were to do it, you really need to have a quick moving party (no toddlers or preschoolers or elderly people) and be one of the first off.

In my experience you could make the 10:30 flight. make sure you have early breakfast. I think you can do it even if you don't carry off your luggage. Our last Alaska trip we had a "late" flight.. 4 ish I think.. and we tried to kill time before heading to the airport.... hung out in a lounge after early breakfast, took our time getting luggage, didn;t mind the long line for the Disney bus.... we were still to the airport by 915am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter