Can they ask for proof?

jmartinez1895

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
I always thought that it was illegal to ask a person for proof of their disability. Is this correct or am I wrong ( it would not be the first time:rolleyes1). I was trying to look around at other places to visit beside Disney ( shame on me, I know) and I came across what at first seems like a nice place. It is Holiday World in IN. I was reading on the web site and I found this statement :
If a member of your party is unable to stand in the ride queues (lines) due to a disability, you are welcome to stop by Guest Relations at the Front Gate to request a Holiday World Ride Boarding Pass. (In order to keep these services for our Guests with special needs, Guests with non-apparent disabilities should bring a doctor's statement).
I called and asked them about this and they said that I must have a doctor note to prove that my child has the medical conditions that I " claim" he has. They also said that the pass is only good for 4 people. I asked what would happen if I was traveling alone with my 4 kids and I was told that one of the kids would have to wait in the regular line and then meet up with us at the ride car. ( Not that this has anything to do with my original question).
I checked the ADA web site I was pretty sure that it said that you can not ask for proof, but I just wanted to be sure before I send them a letter.
Thanks.

Hi all,
I always thought that it was illegal to ask a person for proof of their disability. Is this correct or am I wrong ( it would not be the first time:rolleyes1). I was trying to look around at other places to visit beside Disney ( shame on me, I know) and I came across what at first seems like a nice place. It is Holiday World in IN. I was reading on the web site and I found this statement :
If a member of your party is unable to stand in the ride queues (lines) due to a disability, you are welcome to stop by Guest Relations at the Front Gate to request a Holiday World Ride Boarding Pass. (In order to keep these services for our Guests with special needs, Guests with non-apparent disabilities should bring a doctor's statement).
I called and asked them about this and they said that I must have a doctor note to prove that my child has the medical conditions that I " claim" he has. They also said that the pass is only good for 4 people. I asked what would happen if I was traveling alone with my 4 kids and I was told that one of the kids would have to wait in the regular line and then meet up with us at the ride car. ( Not that this has anything to do with my original question).
I checked the ADA web site I was pretty sure that it said that you can not ask for proof, but I just wanted to be sure before I send them a letter.
Thanks.

Not sure on the actual wordage;),but I think that the only time you have to submit proof of said disability is when you are being provided with an accommodation that another party is not privy too. Sort of like disabled placards. And if they are providing you with equal access then it is prohibited:confused3. In any case, I am sure that someone will be around shortly to correctly answer your question:rotfl:

There are certain situations where documentation is allowed by your situation was not one of them.

bookwormde

If the accommodation they are giving is not something that the general public is allowed AND is more than is necessary for accommodation for the disability, they can ask for proof.

For example, some places give free admission for the person with a disability or for someone accompanying them. Those places could ask for proof.
Examples would be SeaWorld gives a discount and the US National Park Service gives free admission to guests with disabilities.

Some places give access without waiting for guests with disabilities (such as guests boarding immediately thru the exit). They could ask for proof because that is something of value, more than is actually required for accommodation and is not available to people without disabilities.

The “one of the 4 kids would have to wait in line alone” is unreasonable.

Hi all,
Thanks.

No they can't make you show proof, however they can make the limit of person(s) going on the ride with the person with the disability. When we were at the MK last December we were waiting for Small World. We went into the handicapped entrance with my daughter and the line was bigger than the regular line. We were talking with another family from GKTW about how funny the situation was. I stopped counting the families in the handicapped access line without the disability card they give at Guest Relations. I have never seen that before at MK. It was a first for us.

No they can't make you show proof, however they can make the limit of person(s) going on the ride with the person with the disability. When we were at the MK last December we were waiting for Small World. We went into the handicapped entrance with my daughter and the line was bigger than the regular line. We were talking with another family from GKTW about how funny the situation was. I stopped counting the families in the handicapped access line without the disability card they give at Guest Relations. I have never seen that before at MK. It was a first for us.

Just curious, how did you know they didn't have a GAC? Sometimes we don't keep ours out until just before we enter, then it goes back into the safe pocket (lol don't want to lose that valuable card). I have put up with stares and seen whispering and I know some people may question our need for handicapped access, but my daughter is handicapped, but our special needs stroller/wheelchair is often confused with a regular stroller.

Just curious, how did you know they didn't have a GAC? Sometimes we don't keep ours out until just before we enter, then it goes back into the safe pocket (lol don't want to lose that valuable card). I have put up with stares and seen whispering and I know some people may question our need for handicapped access, but my daughter is handicapped, but our special needs stroller/wheelchair is often confused with a regular stroller.
We avoid using DD”s GAC unless absolutely needed, but I only have it out where people can see it when we actually are showing it to the CM (and for Small World with a wheelchair or ECV, you don’t need a GAC, so that would not be one where anyone would see DD’s GAC).

We avoid using DD”s GAC unless absolutely needed, but I only have it out where people can see it when we actually are showing it to the CM (and for Small World with a wheelchair or ECV, you don’t need a GAC, so that would not be one where anyone would see DD’s GAC).

I also keep my GAC out of sight when I am not showing it to a CM (which takes about 15 seconds). I do this to avoid questions and to cut down on abuse (for example, my GAC often says I have 5 people with me, even on days I am alone - this is because I get them for long stretches of time and there are days when other people join me). I have actually had people try to claim they were with me, because they thought I was skipping the line!

I also keep my GAC out of sight when I am not showing it to a CM (which takes about 15 seconds). I do this to avoid questions and to cut down on abuse (for example, my GAC often says I have 5 people with me, even on days I am alone - this is because I get them for long stretches of time and there are days when other people join me). I have actually had people try to claim they were with me, because they thought I was skipping the line!

That's just crazy, that some stranger would claim to be with you!! Some people have some nerve!! What do you say to them?

That's just crazy, that some stranger would claim to be with you!! Some people have some nerve!! What do you say to them?

I don't say a word to them. I just tell the CM who is looking at my GAC that I am alone and I don't know those people. I let the CM handle the confrontation.

We’ve had people try to join us also. The CMs usually ask how many are with (at least in our experience). I am usually also prepared to tell who is the last person in our party.

When we were in line at the Safari at AK once, someone tried to say they were with us at the point where guests with wheelchairs are pulled out and sent to a separate boarding area. I heard the person say “We are part of their party.” When I turned arounds and said they were not part of our group, the people tried to say they were part of they group in front of us (who also said those people were not part of their group).
That was the one situation where I sort of thought it would be Karma to let them stay with us - people think guests with wheelchairs are cutting the line at that point and will get loaded right away. My family has waited for 40 minutes at that point though because there are many less ride trams for guests with disabilities.

We’ve had people try to join us also. The CMs usually ask how many are with (at least in our experience). I am usually also prepared to tell who is the last person in our party.

When we were in line at the Safari at AK once, someone tried to say they were with us at the point where guests with wheelchairs are pulled out and sent to a separate boarding area. I heard the person say “We are part of their party.” When I turned arounds and said they were not part of our group, the people tried to say they were part of they group in front of us (who also said those people were not part of their group).
That was the one situation where I sort of thought it would be Karma to let them stay with us - people think guests with wheelchairs are cutting the line at that point and will get loaded right away. My family has waited for 40 minutes at that point though because there are many less ride trams for guests with disabilities.

That would have been interesting to see their reaction when they realized they did not automatically get on the ride. However, I don't like to associate with people like that, so I probably will never let anyone tag along with my special child and my beloved family.

Last time we went to Disney, I had to use a wheelchair because of an incident from the year before. I could walk (just not long distances AT ALL) and was not visibly disabled. However, no one ever asked for proof of my disability. The wheelchair was a necessity for me though because I could not stand for long periods of time

That would have been interesting to see their reaction when they realized they did not automatically get on the ride. However, I don't like to associate with people like that, so I probably will never let anyone tag along with my special child and my beloved family.
We have never let anyone tag along with us either and are very proactive at making sure the CM knows just who is part of our group. It would have served them right if they had managed to ‘sneak’ with someone in this case since they would have waited way longer.

Thanks for the insight. I called back and double checked about the boarding pass and what it gave us access to. I was told that it gave us access to the handicap ramp ( which is the exit on almost all the rides). We would show the card to the person working and they would write a return time on the card. I again explained my child's condition and how he requires a wheelchair , but we use a special needs stroller. She said that if it is not a regular looking wheel chair then we would have to have a letter from the doctor because they do not allow strollers in line. I called the ADA and they told me that my son has the right to use his mobility aide without being questioned ( except once to explain his need) and that asking for a doctor note is not allowed and if they read it it might be against HIPPA laws as well. I called them back explained this and gave them the number to call the ADA. I received a call back and they apologized and said that if a person showed up needed services that they now understand that they can not require proof, but they are not going to change the wording to try and keep people from abusing the system.

fwiw, I never show my GAC card either. I use my daughter's stroller as my walker and it is marked with a "stroller as wheelchair" sticker....CMs see the sticker but I think most others miss it.

I am sure that people might question it or me when they see that I can move without it, but standing long periods without something to lean on is impossible with my back injuries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter