Camping at Fort Wilderness

TJLLWDW1

Earning My Ears
Thinking about going to the Fort for the 4th time...have stayed in the cabins the past 3 times...wanna stay at the Fort for longer by staying in a tent. Has anyone stayed in a tent in September???....What was the weather like??..Too HOT???!!!...BUGS..RAIN..???. Aside from tent, sleeping bags and supplies...what else do you suggest to bring to make the trip more enjoyable??...

:scared: No way would I stay in a tent in Sept. yes, hot, humid, bugs,rain, T storms. Yuck. What about a room in a value resort?

I've stayed at the Fort at the end of Sept in a tent many years ago...it was hot but I did ok with fans at night. Don't remember the bugs being bad but again, it was 10 years ago and my memory may be faulty. I know of several tent campers who have added a small window unit air conditioner to their tents (some tents come with a specific AC opening in them now) to make things more comfortable especially at night.

I had a couple of extension cords, lamp, chairs, fans, hammock, bike, and a small portable TV.

Have a great trip! The Fort is a terrific double vacation: camping and Disney!

Not to scare anyone off, but what, if anything, does Disney do to make sure there are no wildlife invading your tents? ie: alligators? Snakes?

Not to scare anyone off, but what, if anything, does Disney do to make sure there are no wildlife invading your tents? ie: alligators? Snakes?
We tent camped at Fort Wilderness for a week in March 2015 and had no issues with animals at all. In fact, we also had zero insect problems, not even a single pesky fly or mosquito. It's a fantastic place to camp in moderate weather. We plan to tent camp there again next April.

I would never tent camp there in September, though. Way too hot, humid and rainy.

Zippers?

I had a couple of extension cords, lamp, chairs, fans, hammock, bike, and a small portable TV.

yes realize you have power. some bring refrigerators.

But you are going to get a lot more replies in the Camping forum.

I doubt the gators would travel to tent sites, they stay by the water. But there are snakes, & lizards. Don't think there's much that can be done about them.

I've stayed at the Fort at the end of Sept in a tent many years ago...it was hot but I did ok with fans at night. Don't remember the bugs being bad but again, it was 10 years ago and my memory may be faulty. I know of several tent campers who have added a small window unit air conditioner to their tents (some tents come with a specific AC opening in them now) to make things more comfortable especially at night.

Have a great trip! The Fort is a terrific double vacation: camping and Disney!
Good point, those that drive can bring all sorts of stuff, AC, fan, fridge, camp cot, tv etc. But I've seen those torrential August rains and thunder storms, and being in a tent during one of those which may or may not hold up to that kind of weather isn't my idea of a good time, lol!! But that's just me.

Thinking about going to the Fort for the 4th time...have stayed in the cabins the past 3 times...wanna stay at the Fort for longer by staying in a tent. Has anyone stayed in a tent in September???....What was the weather like??..Too HOT???!!!...BUGS..RAIN..???. Aside from tent, sleeping bags and supplies...what else do you suggest to bring to make the trip more enjoyable??...

Last edited:
We

We have been at WDW many times in Sept. and it was extremely wet each time! Humid? Yup. Extreme. Not sure even with a tent fan it would be tolerable for me. Could you maybe rent from these folks or similar? http://fortwildernessrvrentals.com/ My in laws used them years ago....check em out. Better than a tent?...

We

We have been at WDW many times in Sept. and it was extremely wet each time! Humid? Yup. Extreme. Not sure even with a tent fan it would be tolerable for me. Could you maybe rent from these folks or similar? http://fortwildernessrvrentals.com/ My in laws used them years ago....check em out. Better than a tent?...

Once you rent one of these and book a site you in moderate range or even close to a cabin.

:scared: No way would I stay in a tent in Sept. yes, hot, humid, bugs,rain, T storms. Yuck. What about a room in a value resort?

Unfortunately the wife hates the value resorts...thought tenting would be a change and good experience for the boys...just trying to be ready for all kinds of weather conditions...especially the rain...have seen videos of people camping and its rained for 3 days straight??

Unfortunately the wife hates the value resorts...thought tenting would be a change and good experience for the boys...just trying to be ready for all kinds of weather conditions...especially the rain...have seen videos of people camping and its rained for 3 days straight??
Yes, unfortunately that time of year, Aug/Sept, is the rainy season and hurricane season. Generally it rains around 3:00 for maybe an hour, (and lightning) but the rain isn't exactly a shower! It's torrential. I don't know how tents would hold up to that. And any camping gear outside, chairs, etc would be soaked.
Maybe renting a trailer would be an alternative?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter