Calfornia Grill

we've eaten at the CG with our 3 kids quite a few times. It is one of their favorite restaurants. I have one fussy eater, and he usually gets a steak. I usually call at exactly 90 days out so I can get the day and time I want. 3 weeks from today I'll be dining there with my DS14:D

I made reservations for next Wednesday (11/17) for the last time they had at 7:30... Wishes is at 7pm and I'm wondering if they'll let us up early to watch the fireworks outside on the observation deck. I know we wont be seated early, I just want to watch the fireworks!!!

Few questions:
1). Can "anyone" go up to the observation deck to view the fireworks or do you need a reservation
2). Does it make absolutly no sense to eat there once the fireworks are over (I know they have good food but our reason for going there is the great view!)
3). I'm going with my mom (I'm 24) will we enjoy this place???

We only have one day at the parks (Going to EPCOT) and I thought that going to the Calif Grill would be a good way to have a "Magic Kindgom" expierence without actually being in the park...

Any comments???

The California Grill is our favorite restaurant at WDW. We ate there late last year and celebrated a milestone anniversary. They took care of every need we had including placing us at a window seat. Executive Chef John State prepared our food beautifully and came to our table to congratulate us with free desserts. Everyone there made our visit magical.

An earlier poster mentioned the observation deck. While we were there, the deck was closed to all guests. I don't know if this is still true.

Michaelmantis: To respond to your questions:
1). Can "anyone" go up to the observation deck to view the fireworks or do you need a reservation
It is my understanding that they no longer allow non-diners access to the elevator that goes to this floor.

2). Does it make absolutly no sense to eat there once the fireworks are over (I know they have good food but our reason for going there is the great view!)
They have a great atmosphere, terrific food, AND a wonderful view.
3). I'm going with my mom (I'm 24) will we enjoy this place??? We only have one day at the parks (Going to EPCOT) and I thought that going to the Calif Grill would be a good way to have a "Magic Kindgom" expierence without actually being in the park...
You and your mom would ABSOLUTELY enjoy the experience here. The first time I took my DH to WDW was for our 8th anniversary. This is where we dined our first night and we have INCREDIBLE memories of the evening. The fireworks over the castle were just the 'icing' of the night. They were a wonderful touch of pixie dust and I personally feel this to be a MUST DO for the two of you. If you don't want to do dinner, go for an appetizer or dessert. DH and I always share a meal here which is much less expensive and there is plenty of food.

We are taking another couple (he is turning 60 that week) to WDW for their 1st visit, and this is where we will be on our 1st night. Be sure and take a camera - there are sure to be some Kodak Moments for you to save.

Remember, Disney is about an 'experience' and family -- make the memories and treasure them. I lost my mom 8 years ago -- we never did get to go to WDW together -- but she loved looking at our pictures and seeing the videos we took. DH didn't want to 'carry around the camcorder all day' but when we saw the smile on her face he was glad he did! Now he doesn't complain at all, even if our kids/granchildren don't rush over to see our home movies now (boring), one day they will. They will appreciate how precious and enjoyable life can be - and know we never missed an opportunity to STAY YOUNG AT HEART.

Originally posted by michaelmantis
I made reservations for next Wednesday (11/17) for the last time they had at 7:30... Wishes is at 7pm and I'm wondering if they'll let us up early to watch the fireworks outside on the observation deck. I know we wont be seated early, I just want to watch the fireworks!!!

Few questions:
3). I'm going with my mom (I'm 24) will we enjoy this place???

We only have one day at the parks (Going to EPCOT) and I thought that going to the Calif Grill would be a good way to have a "Magic Kindgom" expierence without actually being in the park...

Any comments???

Just ate there last Wednesday. We had a PS for 7:20 with Wishes at 7. It took less time than expected to get there from MGM so we checked in before 6:30. We wanted to see Wishes from the observation deck, but intentionally made our PS for after because we prefer to eat dinner a little later. When we checked in we said we wanted to have a drink at the bar and wait until at least our PS time to be seated. We went upstairs, got our buzzer thing, got settled at the bar, got our glasses of wine and not even 5 minutes later the thing was flashing. So who knows? Maybe you'll get seated early. Actually, when I went to the front to say we would rather wait the woman seemed annoyed. Thought that was odd, but whatever.

Anyway, we had the four cheese flatbread - delicious! Pork tenderloin - delicious! And the chocolate Valrhona cake - literally THE BEST dessert I've ever had! Yum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter