Cafe Orleans Menu Changes

I can see the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich not being a big seller. We will be there in a few weeks, with the Fantasmic package. Looking forward to the new menu.

It was a popular item when it was at Hungry Bear. However, it was overpriced at Cafe Orleans, so maybe it didn't sell well.

Hmmmm, wonder what the new allergy friendly menu will look like.
I found the allergy menu to be ok. Not great . Just ok.
We had dinner at Café Orleans on 9/18, and I needed the allergy friendly menu due to my gluten intolerance. The salad was very good. I ordered the steak and potatoes, which was ok, but the accompanying vegetables were undercooked. No gluten free dessert options at all.
My son raved about his Pommes Frites and Monte Cristo. But this gluten-avoiding girl won't be back to Café Orleans. It wasn't bad by any measure. For me it just didn't live up to all the hype I've read about the restaurant.

We had dinner at Café Orleans on 9/18, and I needed the allergy friendly menu due to my gluten intolerance. The salad was very good. I ordered the steak and potatoes, which was ok, but the accompanying vegetables were undercooked. No gluten free dessert options at all.
My son raved about his Pommes Frites and Monte Cristo. But this gluten-avoiding girl won't be back to Café Orleans. It wasn't bad by any measure. For me it just didn't live up to all the hype I've read about the restaurant.

Hey, thanks for the review! Not surprised at the no dessert, Disney doesn't do very well in that department for us GF people. Other than the more fancy ($$$) places, repackaged brownies is about as good as it gets. I'm not one for ordering steak and potatoes when I'm eating out as my DH BBQs the best steak and it's spoiled me for them. Sounds as if I'll give CO a miss, too.

I wish the pommes frites were GF, they sound so good. How hard could it be to have just one small GF fryer?

On another thread, the steak was described as precooked (couldn't choose to have it cooked anything other than medium) and presliced roast beef rather than actual steak. Was this your experience as well?

On another thread, the steak was described as precooked (couldn't choose to have it cooked anything other than medium) and presliced roast beef rather than actual steak. Was this your experience as well?
I was asked how I wanted it cooked. Medium was not my only option.

We also had dinner at Steakhouse 55. Unfortunately that too underwhelmed me. Steaks were only available medium or medium rare. And they had NO cooked green vegetables that were gluten free. Even the asparagus and the green beans were prepared with flour (the sauce, I'm guessing). And the gluten free dessert at Steakhouse 55? Berries.
Prior to dinner I was joking with my husband that I wanted to bring my gluten free red velvet cupcake from Sprinkles in Downtown Disney as my dessert. I wished I had done so.

By the way, the Sprinkles gluten free cupcakes are awesome! I highly recommend them. :yay:

And also, it was real steak. Definitely not presliced roast beef.

I was asked how I wanted it cooked. Medium was not my only option.

We also had dinner at Steakhouse 55. Unfortunately that too underwhelmed me. Steaks were only available medium or medium rare. And they had NO cooked green vegetables that were gluten free. Even the asparagus and the green beans were prepared with flour (the sauce, I'm guessing). And the gluten free dessert at Steakhouse 55? Berries.
Prior to dinner I was joking with my husband that I wanted to bring my gluten free red velvet cupcake from Sprinkles in Downtown Disney as my dessert. I wished I had done so.

By the way, the Sprinkles gluten free cupcakes are awesome! I highly recommend them. :yay:

Huh. I wonder what happened to that other person then (it was mentioned in the Fantasmic dinner thread). Unless it's different for Fantasmic... But that would make no sense. The meal the other user has honestly sounded awful, but I can't digest more cooked than rare. Medium sits in my stomach like a rock.

Thanks for the additional info :).

And gluten free is so hard. I'm not gluten free myself, but I've been on that diet before while my doctor tried to find out what was wrong with me and it was so difficult eating anywhere. My sympathies that there was no good gluten free dessert :(

Last edited:

I was looking forward to having a fried green tomato sandwich there on our next trip to Disneyland. But with all of the changes to the menu, there's no way I want to eat anything there. Plus, there is literally nothing on the kids' menu that my kids would enjoy. So forget it! Frustrating.

Huh. I wonder what happened to that other person then (it was mentioned in the Fantasmic dinner thread). Unless it's different for Fantasmic... But that would make no sense. The meal the other user has honestly sounded awful, but I can't digest more cooked than rare. Medium sits in my stomach like a rock.

Thanks for the additional info :).

And gluten free is so hard. I'm not gluten free myself, but I've been on that diet before while my doctor tried to find out what was wrong with me and it was so difficult eating anywhere. My sympathies that there was no good gluten free dessert :(
We weren't at Café Orleans for the Fantasmic dinner, so perhaps we did have a different menu.

I find eating out gluten free to be more frustrating than hard. I'm always able to find something. But generally, 98% of the items on any given menu are off-limits for me. It's frustrating to see wheat/flour added to so many menu items where it does not seem necessary.

We weren't at Café Orleans for the Fantasmic dinner, so perhaps we did have a different menu.

I find eating out gluten free to be more frustrating than hard. I'm always able to find something. But generally, 98% of the items on any given menu are off-limits for me. It's frustrating to see wheat/flour added to so many menu items where it does not seem necessary.

Considering they're the same menu, though, to an extent (desserts are different I believe), I would very shocked for the very same menu item to be prepared two different ways.

But I'll have to ask a CM should I eat there again anytime soon if there is a difference. I'm quite curious about these two different experiences I've read.

The menu has really changed. I was not impressed with the steak and potatoes. And the BB has totally changed their menu also.

The menu has really changed. I was not impressed with the steak and potatoes. And the BB has totally changed their menu also.
I loved that the lamb was added to the BB menu. Ordered it medium-well (which = medium-rare in my experiences at BB) and it was perfection!

I asked the waiter if there was any way to do the crepe at CO and he said no, that the menu went through a huge change a couple weeks ago. Our waiter did that it was funny that between me and my BFF we basically ordered all the things from the old menu that were still available!

For me it just didn't live up to all the hype I've read about the restaurant.

Exactly why we do RB Jazz Kitchen if we want Cajun/Southern. They have one of the best GF options you'll ever have (BBQ Shrimp and Grits). My wife LOVES that dish. And since RBJK is right next to the monorail station, it makes it an easy to get there. Plus....real beignets!

As long as the Pomme Frites and Mickey Beignets are still there, that's all I care about! But in my opinion, the menu did need updating to include more variety.

Yeah, I think the whole roast beef thing is for the F! Dining only. We got the roast beef crap (it was dry and gross), but I saw other tables getting "real" steak.

Yeah, I think the whole roast beef thing is for the F! Dining only. We got the roast beef crap (it was dry and gross), but I saw other tables getting "real" steak.
It’s weird that they are doing this. If they don’t want to offer steak then don’t put it on the fantasmic menu. Or call it roast beef. I wish they had the pomme frites and beignets on there.

Guess we can also just order sides and pay for them.

It’s weird that they are doing this. If they don’t want to offer steak then don’t put it on the fantasmic menu. Or call it roast beef. I wish they had the pomme frites and beignets on there.

Guess we can also just order sides and pay for them.

I think for $45, pomme frites should be an appetizer option and you shouldn't have to pay extra. Also, a real cup of gumbo and not some doll-sized tea cup. I mean, Disney acts like they are losing money on these F! meals when they pull off the fries and call shredded roast beef "steak". I heard at least 3 tables around me say "what the h*** kind of steak is this" the minute it was delivered. It says on the menu it is steak cooked medium, but it is literally slow cooked, well done roast beef that has been pre sliced for you.

If you have a kid, they serve the beignets for their dessert!!! My son got all 3 with the dipping sauce. And the malificient dessert on the adult menu is so unique, that at least the ending of the meal was good!

In the Halloween thread, another user said they were only offered the "cooked to medium only" option with a regular reservation (not Fantasmic) for the steak and potatoes. They didn't get it (they wanted it well done) so no additional information regarding how it would have come out, but sounds like it would have been the presliced, precooked roast beef and not the actual steak others have gotten with regular reservations (not Fantasmic).

Now I'm just really confused what this dish is and what triggers being able to get real steak for it.

Sorry to bump this back up, but thought it worth noting that there still seems to be no consistency with this particular menu item.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]this is the current Fantasmic dining menu as of 10/1-2017

That is the same menu as when we went there a couple weeks ago. No pomme frites and the "steak and potatoes" entree is definitely roast beef.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter