Buying tickets for different Tourist attractions

Ms. Shuttergirl

DIS Veteran
Do you buy tickets online beforehand for museums, tourist attractions, etc. or do you just do it when you get there?

I'm just sitting here wondering if I should purchase my American Museum of Natural History tickets now or when I'm there.

Same goes for Universal Orlando. Should I get them now or when I'm there?

Would love to hear what everyone else does...

I'm going through the same thing now. I am tossing up wether to get one of the NY passes (not sure which one yet).

I do like prepurchasing if it can help avoid queues and you know 100% that you want to go :thumbsup2

I have Discovery Cove and Seaworld booked and paid for already for this trip to WDW and I am thinking about Universal but I'm not 100% sure we will go.

In London last trip we prepurchased Madame Tussards and London Eye and it was sooooo worth it for both. The queue for prepurchases was virtually nothing and the wait for tickets was sooooo long at both.

So I am leaning towards prepurchasing more, the only thing that I don't like is having to pick a day to go.

I want to prepurchase Museum of Natural History, Top of the Rock, ESB (if we decide to go), a cruise, maybe Bronx Zoo and maybe a bus tour.

Decisions Decisions :confused3

Prepurchases are almost always cheaper, but only prepurchase if you are reasonably sure what you are doing - there may not be the possibility of a refund if anything goes wrong.

Note the Museum of Natural History in New York requires only a "recommended donation" it's not actually a fixed admission fee. If you don't want to you don't have to actually pay anything. Plus there are some days and times where it is free anyway - check the website for details before you buy anything.

I have bought the New York Pass for our stop this year. I worked out it would cost over $1000 for all my entry fees to everything the kids want to see - the NYP only cost me half of that. So even if we only end up seeing half of what we intend to for some reason we'll still break even.

Plus, NYP also allows you to jump queues to certain attractions, so we'll get that bonus either way.

I weighed up buying prepaid tickets and passes and insuring them in case we need a refund vs gate prices, and the prepay plus insurance almost always comes up cheaper.

Aussietravellers - I can highly recommend prepurchasing ESB tickets. We got to jump ahead of quite alot of people because we already had our tickets.

I think I will definitely get the Universal tickets, still deciding on 1 day or 2. To be honest, whilst I know we probably need 2 days there, we are only going for 1 day because it's really just about Harry Potter, everything else would be a bonus. I think I just answered my own question, I'll just buy a 1 day pass.

Hey I was going through my planning folder the other day from our last trip and found a Madam Toussauds (sic?) brochure that gives me a big discount off further tickets and I'm wrapped because it is still valid for while we are there, woohoo. DD12 and I loved it last time, DS8 wants to go this time.

I'm also trying to talk my DH into going to see American Idiot the stage show on his own while we are in NY. It wouldn't be appropriate for the kids (too much swearing) but he would love love love it and I don't see why he can't go one night. And because it would be just one ticket, I'm sure he could get pretty close to the front at the last minute. They always have spaces to fill.

Oz-kateer, thanks for the heads up about the Museum tickets, I think we will just get them on the day.

Last time we got the Citypass from MoMA the night we arrived (before we were starting to use it)
We just went in, got the book, and left.
Worked out great. :)

I'm disinclined to prebuy online unless
1 - it is a big saving
2 - I HAVE to prebook it.
3 - I know FOR SURE I will do it.

I know it is hard.

We only pre-purchased MOMA tickets to the Tim Burton exhibit. With limited entry we had to book in a particular time to see the exhibit. On the day we went the whole exhibit was sold out by 11am - even with pre-purchased there was still queues waiting to go in.

Travelling with an 11 (turned 12 at WDW) and a 17 year old student, we did not have to pay at some places and was reduced at others. This is why we decided to not do the citypass.

The 17 year old opted out of ESB (sitting in the Starbucks downstairs), we arrved around 6.30pm and got a specila deal - free map with our tickets. Apart from the cold it was spectacular and there was not a large queue.

Don't forget you can also pick up voucher books at some of the hotels and tourist attractions.

I like the idea of booking ahead as much as possible. You do not have the added expense while you are on holidays.We know exactly what we are doing and it has saved us money but that is just me Have a great holiday

My trip is still 5 months (and 2 days) away, but I have this week finished booking all of my tours and trips for our week in Hawaii. Same for the week prior in Anaheim, that's all done too.

Basically, I have paid for everything now, apart from 1 night's hotel room in San Fran (will do that when a cheaper rate appears on Wotif or Expedia - about 2 months out), our Alcatraz tickets, our meals and spending money. All transfers have been booked (and therefore paid for), all tours, flights - you name it, I've tried to book it!

For me, it's about not having any big financial surprises during my trip (plus I am always worried that things will get booked out, and usually end up being the only person on the plane/train/transfer bus LOL). I pay for as much as I possibly can ahead of time, and can begin paying back my credit card earlier :rotfl:

I think that's very wise Heidi. I did that on our last trip. I had planned everything to within an inch of it's life and it worked out so well. We actually didn't bring home any credit card debt, I couldn't believe it. That was mainly due to being organised like you and getting everything in place earlier and paid off.

I will probably do the same again, I'm only pretending to be laidback. The obsessive planner in me will rear it's head soon :rotfl2:

Have I told you my occupation? And my sister's (Aust)? We're both Production Planners :rotfl: Obviously we like to be in control.

Seeing as she's been to DLR before, I'm leaving every bit of DLR planning up to her (she's doing really well with our morning/afternoon/night schedule LOL). Me, I got our one-nighter to San Fran organised, and have done mine and my girl's Hawaii stuff. This is SO fun! I'm still trying to get my hubby to come along to Hawaii, but he feels bad b/c he thinks we can't afford for his girls to come along too (we SO could).

The problem is that there is still 5 MONTHS to go!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter