Buying DVC at sold out resort

Jules76126

Practically Perfect in Every Way
My family current owns DVC at OKW, SSR, and BC. My grandmother originally bought the membership when I was a kid as we loved going to Disney. She has quite a few points that we share between the family. However, my husband and I are thinking about saving and buying our own points so we don't need to deal with the drama of trying to coordinator points/vacations with 10 other family members.

My question is can we buy DVC points for BC? The beach club is my favorite resort and stay there 90% of the time. I know that resort is sold out so you can't get immediate points there. However, does Disney have a waiting list for their sold out resorts? Is there a minimum amount of points that you need to purchase? It is better to purchase a contract from the resorts that are currently available and then add points when one one sold out resorts becomes available (if that is even possible). It is hard to find this information on Disney's website. We are only looking to buy direct from Disney.

Beach Club is $165/point direct from Disney. They are not actively selling it, but if you must have it, points become available through foreclosures and through the exercise of ROFR. The resale market price per point is quite a bit less, but I know you said you were not interested.

Thanks for the information. My husband likes to buy direct whenever possible. Considering I am Disney fan and he just indulges me, I was willing to give way here. I am assuming we could also buy a contract direct from Disney and do a resale one for BC if we wanted to add on.

It will likely take over a month of hounding the DVC sales guide to get you some points. When I wanted a 25 point add-on last year, it took about a month for the guide to "find" the points. From what I can tell, the waitlist doesn't really exist.

Thanks for the information. My husband likes to buy direct whenever possible. Considering I am Disney fan and he just indulges me, I was willing to give way here. I am assuming we could also buy a contract direct from Disney and do a resale one for BC if we wanted to add on.
It will most likely be quicker and easier to buy resale than from DVC, not to mention the savings. You could then do a small add on anywhere to get the retail perks.

Resale really is the best route to purchase BCV - as mentioned they really don't have waitlists anymore.

Put it this way... DW asked the DVC rep in the BC lobby about buying BCV points direct a few years ago, and this is basically the reaction she got (just the first 20 seconds or so):

Reasons to buy beach club direct from Disney:
1. You hate money
2. .....

Yeah, I could only come up with one.

Reasons to buy beach club direct from Disney:
1. You hate money
2. .....

Yeah, I could only come up with one.

I bought direct BCV but it was for only 25 points in order to get the member benefits.

The $800 I save in AP costs per year actually makes these points "free" in 5 years (including ongoing maintenance fees). After 5 years (if the AP discount is still around), then this contract will actually start "saving" me money.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. That is really helpful information. It sounds like buying resale is the way to go. And yes, I am all about saving money so if I can get my favorite resort for less, than I am all for it. I think we are going to buy 100 points direct from Disney and then get a resale contract for BCV. Now based on the resorts that Disney is current offering for sale is any one better than another?

Thanks for all the responses everyone. That is really helpful information. It sounds like buying resale is the way to go. And yes, I am all about saving money so if I can get my favorite resort for less, than I am all for it. I think we are going to buy 100 points direct from Disney and then get a resale contract for BCV. Now based on the resorts that Disney is current offering for sale is any one better than another?
Buy where you want to stay, especially as a direct 100 point contract will have no incentives and cost you $176+ per point.

If you want to stay at BCV, buy that resale contract first then add on 25 points matching home resort and UY.

Buy BCV resale first, you cost savings can be used to buy your direct smaller purchase at MK area resort. Use the same names on the deeds and buy the same UY for both.

:earsboy: Bill

I bought direct BCV but it was for only 25 points in order to get the member benefits.

The $800 I save in AP costs per year actually makes these points "free" in 5 years (including ongoing maintenance fees). After 5 years (if the AP discount is still around), then this contract will actually start "saving" me money.

Yeah I wasn't referring to 25 point contracts or add ons. I totally get the point of having a small amount Disney direct points even at older properties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter