Buying DVC as a family of 5...limited places to stay?

Oh my this is an awful idea I'd never give up my king master not even for my kids.

We bought DVC as to me a family of 5 really needs a 2 bedroom especially as you get towards the teen years
To clarify, I would recommend SSR points.

In a pinch, SSR can accommodate 5, but I agree, not ideal.

People have been able to hold SSR contracts and never stay at SSR. Enough points for a 1BR opens up a lot of options.

DISCLAIMERS: future booking patterns subject to change;

I don't think new folks (like me circa 6 months ago) quite pay enough attention to this. Fortunately for me my first contract was VGC, so it wasn't an issue, but if I had been looking at a WDW resort I really could have been hosed. There's a thread on here that talks about how difficult it has gotten to book at 7 months:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/7-month-availability-getting-more-difficult.3671683/

I'd encourage every new person to read that before buying. My view has always been if you're spending thousands of dollars regardless, you may as well spend a few thousand more to get the home resort advantage you want. From reading that thread I suspect a lot of people buy SSR thinking they're okay staying there but reality is quite a different matter.

Last edited:
To clarify, I would recommend SSR points.

In a pinch, SSR can accommodate 5, but I agree, not ideal.

People have been able to hold SSR contracts and never stay at SSR. Enough points for a 1BR opens up a lot of options.
I would too. We own enough BCV points for a 2bd for 5-6 nights when we travel & enough SSR for 5-6 in a 1 bed.

We don’t travel during DVC’s busy season though except occasionally the first week in Jan, but some of that week is value season & we can get a 2 bd.

We like a Kidani 1 bed for the 5 surfaces & 2 bathrooms & it has worked for us with our SSR points. If not we’re not adverse to bringing an air matress. For the times we can travel (point intensive) cheaper points mean more points and more points are a necessity. YMMV.

Sleep 5:...
1 Bedrooms: bedroom w/ 1 queen bed; living room with queen sleeper sofa and twin sofa chair; 1 full bath, full kitchen, laundry:
  • Old Key West, Grand Floridian...
  • I own at VGF and we’ve stayed in 1 br.s there a couple of times - they have the Murphy pull down small bed and I don’t think that any of the chairs are sleeper chairs like the ones in the AKV 1 br.s.

Hello!

I am thinking about buying DVC this year - 75 points and had planned on a 150 point trip to WDW every other year. I have 3 kids and we will travel as a family of 5.

When I spoke to the DVC sales person I told him that and that I was needing somewhere that could hold 5 people and he told me a list of places that we could stay in studios and 1 bedrooms but everywhere I look shows that I would need a 2 bedroom because the studios and 1 bedrooms only hold 4 people. The point jump from 1 to a 2 bedroom is quite a big jump and I would need to purchase more points than originally planned.

What do other families of 5 do/stay at?

Thank you ahead of time for opinions on this!

Assuming you're able to book in the home priority booking window I'd recommend buying at a resort that you'd like to stay at that has 5 sleeping surfaces in the studios or 1BR's since it seems like you'd prefer to maximize on your purchase vs getting lots of room for everyone. (personally we vary - sometimes it's the space and sometimes it's maximizing points. Recently it's maximizing!). It's certainly possible to get rooms at other resorts but by owning somewhere you want to stay if you can't switch you'll likely be a happier owner.

In most cases this will be buying resale at AKV (1BR sleeps 5 except for value category), BLT (1BR's sleep 5), OKW (1BR's sleep 5), VGF (studios and 1BR's sleep 5), PVB (studios sleep 5), BWV (studios sleep 5), BCV (studios sleep 5) or BRV (studios sleep 5). DVC is currently concentrating on selling CCV but it only allows 4 in both the studios and 1BR's so you'd have to go up to a 2BR there. DVC may have points for sale direct at some of the older resorts but in most cases you'll get greater value buying resale. Regarding the number of points just decide on the resort of preference and the room size and look up the number of points required for that room at the time you normally like to go. Then divide it by half since you're looking at every other year. Finally look at some of the resale broker websites and watch for a contract of a similar size to offer on.

We like to have use of the kitchen / common area, etc while the kids are sleeping and cannot do that if they are asleep on the pullout. Maybe we're the only ones on the Disboard, but in real life I know plenty of people that feel exactly the same.

I completely. For us, it's the grandsons. I'm an early riser; I like to putter, make coffee (I simply MUST grind my beans), etc. I don't want to bother the grandkids or anyone else sleeping in the living room.

But, being an early riser also means I'm typically the first to go to bed. I can't sleep in the living room if everyone else is there.

Oh my, this is so complicated!

We're looking forward to our first DVC vacation in six months. There will be eight of us in a BLT 2BR. I'm leaning toward DS, DIL, & GSs in the BR with two queens. This would be perfect for them, but what about the rest of us?. For me, a 2BR with two queens in each BR would be optimal.

GAAK!

I completely. For us, it's the grandsons. I'm an early riser; I like to putter, make coffee (I simply MUST grind my beans), etc. I don't want to bother the grandkids or anyone else sleeping in the living room.

But, being an early riser also means I'm typically the first to go to bed. I can't sleep in the living room if everyone else is there.

Oh my, this is so complicated!

We're looking forward to our first DVC vacation in six months. There will be eight of us in a BLT 2BR. I'm leaning toward DS, DIL, & GSs in the BR with two queens. This would be perfect for them, but what about the rest of us?. For me, a 2BR with two queens in each BR would be optimal.

GAAK!
You sleep in the master and work quietly in the kitchen or sit on the balcony. Otherwise you get another studio for the living room sleepers or a grand villa.

We're also a family of 5, as the kids get older you could also consider booking 2 studios and request adjoining studios. 2 studios are less points then the 2 bedrooms.

We're also a family of 5, as the kids get older you could also consider booking 2 studios and request adjoining studios. 2 studios are less points then the 2 bedrooms.

The only resort with connecting studios is Poly right now. An adult would have to be on each booking for multiple studios, and the units could be separated at many properties by quite a bit. "Same hallway" at a few of them is still a hike.

Sleep 5:

Studios w/ 1 queen bed, 1 double or queen sleeper sofa, and 1 murphy bed under the TV (small twin size bed):
  • Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Boulder Ridge Villas.
  • Storage space is a bit lacking in these as the small murphy bed took up the space where a large dresser once stood.
1 Bedrooms: bedroom w/ 1 queen bed; living room with queen sleeper sofa and twin sofa chair; 2 full baths, full kitchen, laundry:
  • Bay Lake Tower, and Animal Kingdom Villas (but not the value rooms).
1 Bedrooms: bedroom w/ 1 queen bed; living room with queen sleeper sofa and twin sofa chair; 1 full bath, full kitchen, laundry:
  • Old Key West, Grand Floridian

For a family of 5, I'd get enough points to stay in a Bay Lake or Animal Kingdom 1 bedroom in the future--for the 2 full bathrooms. When they're little, you can probably squeeze into the studios.

So as a family of 5, are these the only studios and 1 BRs that we will be able to use our points for? Or will we be able to book at a studio or 1 BR that sleeps 4, even if we have a 5th family member on the reservation?

So as a family of 5, are these the only studios and 1 BRs that we will be able to use our points for? Or will we be able to book at a studio or 1 BR that sleeps 4, even if we have a 5th family member on the reservation?
You can never add a fifth person three or older to a studio that only sleeps four. But, you may be able to add a fifth person to a one bedroom that only has beds for four (SSR, BCV, BWV, BRV), but you won't find a bed for the fifth person (or a towel for the fifth person). You have to provide your own bed, linens and towels for the fifth person. You won't be able to get a bed from the resort, either (like a rollaway, cot or air bed). CCV is the one resort that is a hard four in both the studio and one bedroom. AKV Value studios and one beds are also a hard four, but you can have a fifth person in the one bedroom at AKV Savanna and Standard view (there is a sleeper chair in those villas).

Hello!

I am thinking about buying DVC this year - 75 points and had planned on a 150 point trip to WDW every other year. I have 3 kids and we will travel as a family of 5.

When I spoke to the DVC sales person I told him that and that I was needing somewhere that could hold 5 people and he told me a list of places that we could stay in studios and 1 bedrooms but everywhere I look shows that I would need a 2 bedroom because the studios and 1 bedrooms only hold 4 people. The point jump from 1 to a 2 bedroom is quite a big jump and I would need to purchase more points than originally planned.

What do other families of 5 do/stay at?

Thank you ahead of time for opinions on this!
depending on how often you go you can bank 1 year and borrow from another and go every 3 years. There are plenty of places that hold 5 people. OKW is one as the 1bedroom have plenty of room. Don't get discouraged, you can also rent points from other members to add on if needed or from Disney I think you can rent so many every year

You can never add a fifth person three or older to a studio that only sleeps four. But, you may be able to add a fifth person to a one bedroom that only has beds for four (SSR, BCV, BWV, BRV), but you won't find a bed for the fifth person (or a towel for the fifth person). You have to provide your own bed, linens and towels for the fifth person. You won't be able to get a bed from the resort, either (like a rollaway, cot or air bed). CCV is the one resort that is a hard four in both the studio and one bedroom. AKV Value studios and one beds are also a hard four, but you can have a fifth person in the one bedroom at AKV Savanna and Standard view (there is a sleeper chair in those villas).

Thanks for the reply - that's what my wife and I were working out. My little one turns 3 this year, so most studios won't be an option after this year. However, if we bring a cot or airbed we can still take advantage of a 1 bedroom anywhere in DVC. The plan is to buy at BLT to get 1st crack at their standard 1BR for the extra bathroom (and we love the location). Putting in the offer later today, we shall see what happens...

depending on how often you go you can bank 1 year and borrow from another and go every 3 years. There are plenty of places that hold 5 people. OKW is one as the 1bedroom have plenty of room. Don't get discouraged, you can also rent points from other members to add on if needed or from Disney I think you can rent so many every year

Thanks for the reply. We're going to start at 100 points which should get us a 1 BR during the summer (when we go most often) every 2-3 years with banking and borrowing. Seems like a good place to start and then add on if we feel the need

Thanks for the reply. We're going to start at 100 points which should get us a 1 BR during the summer (when we go most often) every 2-3 years with banking and borrowing. Seems like a good place to start and then add on if we feel the need
Your welcome. I am a family of 7 and bought direct just 50 as that was the minimal at the time. I recently bought resale to add on and have even rented points from people (you can have them transfer their points into your account once a year) There are so many ways to make it work, you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck

We are a family of 5 that bought DVC in 2006 when the kids were 7, 7 and 9. We bought so that we could stay in 1BR villas. All but CCV and AKV-Jambo Value will allow 5 to stay in them. Some, like BWV, do not have bed for the 5th and we would bring airbed. We did that for several years and then added on more points so we could get 2BR starting in 2011. Now, our kids are all in college so we never know who will be able to join us so we are back to booking 1BR. We tried studios with our twin DDs but we just need the separate spaces as we get up early while DDs sleep late and DH needs to work from the room during the day most trips. If we wanted to continue the studio style vacations we wouldn't have bought DVC and would have continued to book POR with free dining...JMO.

Thanks for the reply - that's what my wife and I were working out. My little one turns 3 this year, so most studios won't be an option after this year. However, if we bring a cot or airbed we can still take advantage of a 1 bedroom anywhere in DVC. The plan is to buy at BLT to get 1st crack at their standard 1BR for the extra bathroom (and we love the location). Putting in the offer later today, we shall see what happens...
You won't be able to book an AKV Value one bedroom (but you probably won't be able to book it either at seven months out) or the CCV one bedroom (hard four).

You won't be able to book an AKV Value one bedroom (but you probably won't be able to book it either at seven months out) or the CCV one bedroom (hard four).

Yes, but that's ok. Was more interested in making sure I knew we had other options. Being able to land SSR/OKW or other 1 bedrooms that "sleep 4" and just bring a cot or airbed for the little guy is peace of mind enough to make the decision a go for us. Hoping the bid gets accepted now :)

Not anywhere. CCV 1BR is hard limit 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!