Buying DVC as a family of 5...limited places to stay?

We are a family of 5, and we bought 300 points at OKW...resale. We've found we really need a two bedroom to be comfortable, and the units at OKW are HUGE. And even though we are a family of five on paper, we always have an extra person or two when we travel.

We are a family of 5 (kids 20, 18, 13), we always stay in a studio and we are perfectly fine. On these boards you'll get all kinds of answers about space and comfort. Only you know your family and what will work. Bottom line is there are plenty of options for studio if you'll be comfortable in one. Always, always, always purchase at resort you will fit in and want to stay at.

We are a family of 5 (kids 20, 18, 13), we always stay in a studio and we are perfectly fine. On these boards you'll get all kinds of answers about space and comfort. Only you know your family and what will work. Bottom line is there are plenty of options for studio if you'll be comfortable in one. Always, always, always purchase at resort you will fit in and want to stay at.
But as a family of five you are limited to the studios you can book.

I never hear this mentioned, but we would have always put our kids in the bedroom if staying in a 1 bedroom. If there is a King bed, it should easily accommodate 3 kids for quite some time. How long probably depends on the boy / girl ratio, ages and personal comfort level. For 3 petite - average girls, this could potentially work until they are grown and on their own.

I never hear this mentioned, but we would have always put our kids in the bedroom if staying in a 1 bedroom. If there is a King bed, it should easily accommodate 3 kids for quite some time. How long probably depends on the boy / girl ratio, ages and personal comfort level. For 3 petite - average girls, this could potentially work until they are grown and on their own.
Nope, kids don't get the king sized bed. Mom and Dad get it.

Nope, kids don't get the king sized bed. Mom and Dad get it.

I agree 100%. We pay the bills, we aren’t sleeping on a pullout. Get them an air matress & bring some sheets in the 1 bds that sleep only 4 naturally.

Ummm....ok... Good for you guys. Nobody's gonna force you to sleep on the pullout. lol

We like to have use of the kitchen / common area, etc while the kids are sleeping and cannot do that if they are asleep on the pullout. Maybe we're the only ones on the Disboard, but in real life I know plenty of people that feel exactly the same.

So, I just thought I'd point out that you may not necessarily need extra bed / bedding if you have a King size bed for the kiddos since this thread is about options for a family of 5. It is indeed an option for some families. In fact, a better option for mine.

There's no way we're doing the clown car with 3 teens/young adults even where it's technically within the rules.

Ummm....ok... Good for you guys. Nobody's gonna force you to sleep on the pullout. lol

We like to have use of the kitchen / common area, etc while the kids are sleeping and cannot do that if they are asleep on the pullout. Maybe we're the only ones on the Disboard, but in real life I know plenty of people that feel exactly the same.

So, I just thought I'd point out that you may not necessarily need extra bed / bedding if you have a King size bed for the kiddos since this thread is about options for a family of 5. It is indeed an option for some families. In fact, a better option for mine.
I didn’t quote you for a reason - ie so you wouldn’t feel like I was criticizing your choice. I agreed with the other poster & stated my reasoning. No need to get defensive :confused3

Your best option is to buy into Kidani. You would probably need about 125 points to go every other year and stay in a 1 bedroom Savannah view. We are a family of 5 and decided Kidani resale over Polynesian direct.

Since we have had our membership we have stayed at BRV (Studio), Kidani (1 Bedroom), and Boardwalk (Studio, only 4 this year). The one bedroom are so much nicer and give you room to spread out, which you will need as the kids get older.

We are looking to add on again but the current offering at CCV does not work with families of 5 without buying more points than we want. I am hoping the new Riviera has more options, or we may just try to buy some AKL direct since the current resale pricing is getting up there.

Your best option is to buy into Kidani. You would probably need about 125 points to go every other year and stay in a 1 bedroom Savannah view. We are a family of 5 and decided Kidani resale over Polynesian direct.

Since we have had our membership we have stayed at BRV (Studio), Kidani (1 Bedroom), and Boardwalk (Studio, only 4 this year). The one bedroom are so much nicer and give you room to spread out, which you will need as the kids get older.

We are looking to add on again but the current offering at CCV does not work with families of 5 without buying more points than we want. I am hoping the new Riviera has more options, or we may just try to buy some AKL direct since the current resale pricing is getting up there.
Or they could potentially get a 2 BR value. Assuming that they were looking at a Poly Magic Season at 150 points (6-7 nights) then they could get either a 1BR savannah or a 2 BR value. 125 EOY would not cover 7 nights of Magic season in a 1 BR savannah but would for 6 nights or would be enough for a standard or a value 2 BR. I would agree that AKV would give them the most choices and possibly the best options on points if and only if they'll do value a significant portion of the time. BLT is likely the better value overall for this situation in many ways but will require more like 150 EOY. SSR will be the best $$$ value unless they're committed to AKV value routinely and should easily get one into AKV. IMO limiting to buy at places that sleep 5 in a studio is far too limiting and likely NOT the best choice going forward. The options that sleep 5 in studio are going to be more expensive and/or more points for a studio. BRV & BWV are like the best options there. And 125 points resale would be in the ball park as 75 retail but the dues would be more.

Based on current trends, if you go the route of a 1BR, I would recommend SSR.

This would work well if:

1- you are home-resort agnostic
2- you are flexible with your travel dates
3- you do not mind possibly staying SSR Oct to mid-Jan
4- you can book right at 7 months

Getting a 1BR at Kidani at 7 months is not at all an issue outside of Oct-mid Jan. And if you’re open to booking at EXACTLY 8am at 7 months, you stand a very good chance of getting exactly what you want.

DISCLAIMERS: future booking patterns subject to change; plan does not guard against a major reallocation of points between studios and 1BR; assumption of savings based upon current resale prices; does not factor in future unraveling of China’s fake economy and the global implications, but more specifically how much you can buy SSR for when pushing wheelbarrows of cash around Kissimmee asking which bridge the last remaining resale brokers operate out from under.

We have 250 points and are a family of 5. We stay at AKV (home resort) or OKW in 1 BR rooms. We typically visit WDW every year.

This would work well if:

Getting a 1BR at Kidani at 7 months is not at all an issue outside of Oct-mid Jan. And if you’re open to booking at EXACTLY 8am at 7 months, you stand a very good chance of getting exactly what you want.

DISCLAIMERS: future booking patterns subject to change; plan does not guard against a major reallocation of points between studios and 1BR; assumption of savings based upon current resale prices; does not factor in future unraveling of China’s fake economy and the global implications, but more specifically how much you can buy SSR for when pushing wheelbarrows of cash around Kissimmee asking which bridge the last remaining resale brokers operate out from under.
But SSR one bedroom only has beds for four - one king, one queen sleeper sofa in the living room. They'd need to bring an air bed for one kid to sleep on the floor every time (plus bring a bath towel, too).

Oh my this is an awful idea I'd never give up my king master not even for my kids.

We bought DVC as to me a family of 5 really needs a 2 bedroom especially as you get towards the teen years

This would work well if:

for a family of 5 I would total avoid SSR as well as Boulder ridge BCv and BWV as they have the smallest 1 bedrooms and really no room for the 5th to sleep.

I didn’t quote you for a reason - ie so you wouldn’t feel like I was criticizing your choice. I agreed with the other poster & stated my reasoning. No need to get defensive :confused3

Thank you - the responses did hit me as a little harsh. I was genuinely just trying to offer up other options / scenarios that seemed obvious to me, but not mentioned here yet. As I already said, the kids in the "master" would be the preferred arrangement for us but I don't care what anyone ultimately decides for their family, so I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it either way.

We have been a family of 4 happy with 1 regular hotel room / studio type accommodation in Disney. When we decided to bring Ds boyfriend (and became a group of 5), we got a 2nd studio for the 2 of them as it was my preference (and within my power as parent / payer / decision maker of my own money) to do so.

I have 2 sets of friends that are a families of 5 and they both choose to get 2 rooms and sleep boys room / girls room (parents divided). I suppose that would never fly on the DVC board either. lol

This is an interesting place sometimes!

Last edited:
Oh my this is an awful idea I'd never give up my king master not even for my kids.

Perhaps an awful idea for you, but a perfect one for me! Thanks for your valuable input! I hope it helps someone here!

We also give our master bedroom at home to overnight guests. Different strokes for different folks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter